ADVERTISEMENT

Cowboy Challenge

SAWolverine

Recruit
Aug 3, 2006
Just curious as to what is the "Cowboy Challenge" event? Anyone know which teams are attending and how it'll be run?

Just curious as to what is the "Cowboy Challenge" event? Anyone know which teams are attending and how it'll be run?
and pretty sure its going to be run as at least 8 man individual bracket, so open for at least two wrestlers per school per weight.

Reactions: osu2082
Daton needs 4 D1 matches before the Big12s. Hopefully he avoids the UCO guys.

Insurance. 4 D1 matches are required in order to be eligible for an at large selection (wild card). So if Daton only has 3 after Bedlam and then gets Covid right before Big12s, he would miss Nationals.

Insurance. 4 D1 matches are required in order to be eligible for an at large selection (wild card). So if Daton only has 3 after Bedlam and then gets Covid right before Big12s, he would miss Nationals.
I see what your saying, but I would like satin to get as many live reps in as possible at this point. Even the best wrestlers need to be on the mat, and Daton is one that is used to going 24/7. I’m sure John will have him ready

Anyone with updates? Mizzu coach Smith video siuggested they are sending ~18 but not all the starters. He also suggested UCO and OU were planning to send some, didnt know they were invited, obviously if OU would be 2nd/3rd string.

I was told last week that UCO backed out. There has been some concern whether Mizzou shows up so I am glad to read the post above. The weather may be the biggest issue.

Anyone with updates? Mizzu coach Smith video siuggested they are sending ~18 but not all the starters. He also suggested UCO and OU were planning to send some, didnt know they were invited, obviously if OU would be 2nd/3rd string.
Say what??? I didn't know uo was invited either. I thought it was just us, Mizzou, WVU, and Wyoming. I already heard that UCO backed out.

Say what??? I didn't know uo was invited either. I thought it was just us, Mizzou, WVU, and Wyoming. I already heard that UCO backed out.
Oklahoma wasnt invited but was reached out to and asked if they wanted to send some guys since UCO. Oklahoma starters will be on the road at Fresno St with Oregon St.Smith mentioned Mauller and Jacques as starters that will attend

Oklahoma wasnt invited but was reached out to and asked if they wanted to send some guys since UCO. Oklahoma starters will be on the road at Fresno St with Oregon St.Smith mentioned Mauller and Jacques as starters that will attend
Ah, that makes sense.

WrestleStat is loaded with info. It has a feature that shows the participants for upcoming tournaments. They still show Mizzou sending all their starters (only 149 & 157 are expected), but it gives a good idea of the entries. Boo, Sheets, Plott & Ferrari should all see some pretty good competition.

That link appears to simply be a list of the starters from the 4 teams that planned to attend. Doesn't tell us anything on the extras or who will actually attend. I also thought Mizzu planned to send 165 starter, mightve heard wrong. Until guys actually get on the bus, id say no one knows for sure. I wonder if we will have any sit out, wouldn't make sense to put in a dinged up wrestler given wrestling OU again next weekend.

From other sources think 165 was not mentioned.

Last edited:
Also, note the new start time for Sunday --- now starts at 11:00am. I confirmed that with the ticket office. It was originally scheduled to be 9am.

That link appears to simply be a list of the starters from the 4 teams that planned to attend. Doesn't tell us anything on the extras or who will actually attend. I also thought Mizzu planned to send 165 starter, mightve heard wrong. Until guys actually get on the bus, id say no one knows for sure. I wonder if we will have any sit out, wouldn't make sense to put in a dinged up wrestler given wrestling OU again next weekend.

From other sources think 165 was not mentioned.

Well...yeah. It says that in the wording.

Still a useful feature to scan a list of possible participants on a single page without looking at individual rosters. I use it for the Scuffle, Midlands & Conference tournaments.

Well...yeah. It says that in the wording.

Still a useful feature to scan a list of possible participants on a single page without looking at individual rosters. I use it for the Scuffle, Midlands & Conference tournaments.
Agree 👍

It’s going to be interesting how Surber matches up with Adam’s and Buchanan this weekend .I’m ready to watch Burks and Gfellar vs some other teams starters also.

Reactions: PawhuskaPoke
OK duals at Fresno have been cancelled they may still wrestle Oregon St elsewhere.If that doesn't work could see few starters at the open

Snow storms during the weekend.
What I see shows snow on Sunday, teams would already be there on Saturday. Perhaps issue for Wyoming but I bet they are used to dealing with snow. So whats the "impending weather" issue?

No one has mentioned it but isn't a full slate of wrestlers at this tournament paramount to Fix's eligibility?
I thought if he won the Big XII Tournament, he automatically qualifies? I understand that you might not want to depend on that, but he will be an overwhelming favorite.

Trackwrestling has our lineup as 25 Burks 33 Perrier 41 Kadel 49 Lewallen 57 McLane 65 Witlake 74 Geer 84 McCutcheon 97 Surber Hw Putman. Only 3 starters and one is down a weight class. Missouri doesn’t have their starters listed either. If the starters are not competing I don’t think I will make the 400 mile round trip in bad weather to watch.

I have a wait and see attitude for this event. I want to go but weather does not look good and it may be cancelled. Even if it is not cancelled the weather will definitely factor into my decision. I have skipped a couple of home matches this year so I am anxious to see live wrestling but if it is a mixture of a few starters and a few back ups I will not make the drive.

I thought if he won the Big XII Tournament, he automatically qualifies? I understand that you might not want to depend on that, but he will be an overwhelming favorite.
I think you are correct. The Big 12 might not be able to use him as an auto qualifier spot since he has not wrestled the requisite number of matches against D1 foes.

I think you are correct. The Big 12 might not be able to use him as an auto qualifier spot since he has not wrestled the requisite number of matches against D1 foes.
I think the concern is not cutting 1 Big 12 qualifier at 133, because Coach Smith is not concerned about Daton qualifying for Nationals at the Big 12 tournament.

Trackwrestling has our lineup as 25 Burks 33 Perrier 41 Kadel 49 Lewallen 57 McLane 65 Witlake 74 Geer 84 McCutcheon 97 Surber Hw Putman. Only 3 starters and one is down a weight class. Missouri doesn’t have their starters listed either. If the starters are not competing I don’t think I will make the 400 mile round trip in bad weather to watch.
We have 28 wrestlers entered according to Track. All the starters are listed.

Reactions: osu2082
I see trackwrestling updated the lineups. Excited to watch Daton, AJ will have a very tough bracket. I’ll drive Saturday because of the roads and if it gets as bad as they are predicting probably have to stay Sunday too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT