ADVERTISEMENT

Cowboy Challenge

197lb in the big 12 is awesome and super fun. With Adams, Sloan, Buchannon and Ferrari, the big12 has four guys who can AA and aren’t afraid to let it fly. Oh and Woodley. All of them will be around for at least three more years. I think Adams is the best overall but I think Ferrari is a bad matchup for Buchannon. One of those guys could possibly not make the tourny. I think.

Ridiculous Same thing for the acc 165lbs o

197lb in the big 12 is awesome and super fun. With Adams, Sloan, Buchannon and Ferrari, the big12 has four guys who can AA and aren’t afraid to let it fly. Oh and Woodley. All of them will be around for at least three more years. I think Adams is the best overall but I think Ferrari is a bad matchup for Buchannon. One of those guys could possibly not make the tourny. I think.

Ridiculous Same thing for the acc 165lbs o
Buchannon has beat Adam’s twice in the last two weeks. Ferrari can absolutely win the big 12 with the 4 seed if he beats woodley again Sunday.

It’s hard to blame the coaches for having faith that the allocations would make some sense. Based on these numbers, 84 (roughly 25%) of the ranked wrestlers are going to need at large bids to get into the tournament. This has been screwed up badly.
It's actually not anyone could've run the #s and many did prior to them coming out. I had them months ago. The process was spelled out. It was all a math equation

There are 64 at large selections available. Does the committee have greater discretion awarding them this year?
They will have less data to use this year. Coaches poll will be most of it. Which is worse then this years allocations. Coaches poll is a joke and a good ole boy system. They publish who's ranking what weight and coaches cut deals it's beyond ridiculous

They will have less data to use this year. Coaches poll will be most of it. Which is worse then this years allocations. Coaches poll is a joke and a good ole boy system. They publish who's ranking what weight and coaches cut deals it's beyond ridiculous

It's a strange year and there's no perfect solution. Should the conferences have crunched the #s in advance? Yeah, maybe. But the goal now should be to get things as right (fair) as possible.

IMO the committee should re-adjust the conference allocations (EIWA, MAC). But either way, they should lean heavily on the coaches' rankings for the at large bids. Are there some negotiations made on those rankings? Sure, probably. Same with seeding meetings. That's life. But I scanned some of them and they look OK. We talked about 133 & 157 earlier. TOM has the same 8 guys in the top 20 @ 133. At 157 they have 5 of the 6 the same in the top 20 (with DeVos just outside at 21). So pretty close.

It's a strange year and there's no perfect solution. Should the conferences have crunched the #s in advance? Yeah, maybe. But the goal now should be to get things as right (fair) as possible.

IMO the committee should re-adjust the conference allocations (EIWA, MAC). But either way, they should lean heavily on the coaches' rankings for the at large bids. Are there some negotiations made on those rankings? Sure, probably. Same with seeding meetings. That's life. But I scanned some of them and they look OK. We talked about 133 & 157 earlier. TOM has the same 8 guys in the top 20 @ 133. At 157 they have 5 of the 6 the same in the top 20 (with DeVos just outside at 21). So pretty close.
Re-adjust the MAC how take spots or give them more?

Re-adjust the MAC how take spots or give them more?

I haven't crutched any #s, but I'm thinking they would go up. You posted something about the allocations belonging to the conference and not the schools. I get the tug of war between conferences, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me (and I know, nobody read the manual).

Give the MAC the EWL qualifiers and give the Big12 the UNI qualifiers. Then use the coaches' rankings for the at large bids (add Cornell, Princeton, etc to the pot). Try to avoid any guys ranked top 25 from missing Nationals.

I haven't crutched any #s, but I'm thinking they would go up. You posted something about the allocations belonging to the conference and not the schools. I get the tug of war between conferences, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me (and I know, nobody read the manual).

Give the MAC the EWL qualifiers and give the Big12 the UNI qualifiers. Then use the coaches' rankings for the at large bids (add Cornell, Princeton, etc to the pot). Try to avoid any guys ranked top 25 from missing Nationals.
The issue is the allocations belong to the conference not the universities. So since the EWL doesn't exist those bids go to the at large. I know you know nobody read the manual but it was all spelled out. So if somebody would've brought it up 2 months ago they could've fixed things. But to now change the rules after the fact isnt the right way to handle it. This situation has never happened before and they came up with the most logical fix. Years ago this is how allocations were done 5 year average

The issue is the allocations belong to the conference not the universities. So since the EWL doesn't exist those bids go to the at large. I know you know nobody read the manual but it was all spelled out. So if somebody would've brought it up 2 months ago they could've fixed things. But to now change the rules after the fact isnt the right way to handle it. This situation has never happened before and they came up with the most logical fix. Years ago this is how allocations were done 5 year average

What if the Big12 hires the Cornell lawyers?

Either way, the at large bids should be directed to the highest ranked guys. Salvage something from this mess.

What if the Big12 hires the Cornell lawyers?

Either way, the at large bids should be directed to the highest ranked guys. Salvage something from this mess.
They wouldn't have a ruling in time for conference weekend would be my guess. And the facts that everything was spelled out even the Cornell could've get it overturned

They wouldn't have a ruling in time for conference weekend would be my guess. And the facts that everything was spelled out even the Cornell could've get it overturned
Maybe just include it with the basketball petition, I'm sure the NCAA is too busy with other stuff to worry about equity in sports. :(

Surtin Mizzu who beat Mastro is going to be wrestling at the MAC. Starter Brown was injured yesterday

I think if Mastro and Surtin wrestle again Mastro would win. If Mastro did not choose down he would have won the match. He needs to choose down until tournament time as John requires.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT