ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 wrestling championships

Good thing for him is that the Big 12 got 8 allocations at 133. That was a crazy match.

My understanding of how the allocation system works is that every wrestler who received an automatic bid (an "allocation") is going to NCAAs regardless of whether or not he wrestles to seed.

My understanding of how the allocation system works is that every wrestler who received an automatic bid (an "allocation") is going to NCAAs regardless of whether or not he wrestles to seed.
Scoring after the first day:
1.OK State 111.5
2. Iowa State92
3. Northern Iowa 90.5
Both OK State and Iowa State have 4 in the finals,Northern Iowa has 2.

Last edited:
Allocations are earned by individual wrestlers for the conference. For instance, the Big 12 gets 8 allocations at 133. The top 8 wrestlers at 133 get the automatic bids to the NCAA tournament. A wrestler who "earned" one of those 8 allocations, but did not place in the top 8 does not get an automatic bid, but must depend on getting a wild card bid. This happens quite often and the NCAA saves a few wild card bids at each weight to cover this situation. In Witcraft's case, he gets one of the allocated bids because he will finish no lower than 8th. Had he finished in 9th, he would have to depend on getting a wild card bid, which may or may not have happened.

Reactions: pokefan4life
In Witcraft's case, he gets one of the allocated bids because he will finish no lower than 8th.

Ehhh, maybe. A "true 8th" match is on the docket. If he loses the 7th-place match, Witcraft would get 8th by rule only if LaMont beats Small. Otherwise, Witcraft would wrestle Small for true 8th.

Ehhh, maybe. A "true 8th" match is on the docket. If he loses the 7th-place match, Witcraft would get 8th by rule only if LaMont beats Small. Otherwise, Witcraft would wrestle Small for true 8th.
Thanks for that info. That whole 133 pound bracket is too much for me to get my head around. I’m glad I didn’t have to try to seed it.

I’m not us up on the newer allocation stuff. Do Witcraft and Joe have any shot at NCAAs if they finish outside of the allocation or is this doe or die for them? I assume everyone else (besides Harris is in).

I’m not us up on the newer allocation stuff. Do Witcraft and Joe have any shot at NCAAs if they finish outside of the allocation or is this doe or die for them? I assume everyone else (besides Harris is in).

I think both would be strong cadadites for a wild care. I think Joe is safe via allocation. Reece could potentially fall just outside (not likely).

Last edited:
Reactions: Air_Thurman
See:

https://wrestlingbypirate.wordpress...s-for-their-conference-but-needs-an-at-large/

It is updated as we go. Witcraft had enough matches, qualified a spot & rated high enough for AQ it all depends on how many other 133s need an at large and where he rates on that list. So far the 133 list is not very long. Joe, I doubt it (not enough matches etc) but who cares, this year is building for the future, the Fr (and returning guys) need the NCAA experience.

I think both would be strong cadadites for a wild care. I think Joe is safe via allocation. Reece could potentially fall just outside (not likely).

Could be wrong but I thought 174 had 5 spots. Joe could still finish outside of 5.

Not time to celebrate yet but barring a disaster day by us or a perfect day from ISU we are in good shape.

Reactions: osu2082
Not time to celebrate yet but barring a disaster day by us or a perfect day from ISU we are in good shape.
What I remember with consolations Witcraft took 7th with a tech fall, Hone won a close decision and so wrestles for 3rd, Joe won a decision and so wrestles for 3rd, Montalvo won and wrestles for 3rd, Geer won and so wrestles for 3rd.

Looking great today so far going 5-0. Hone Montalvo Joe And Geer all will be wrestling for third. Reece does receive an automatic bid with his win

PLACEMENT POINTS
1st place: 16 points
2nd place: 12 points
3rd place: 10 points
4th place: 9 points
5th place: 7 points
6th place: 6 points
7th place: 4 points
8th place: 3 points

Reactions: osu2082
So ISU could get 4 more for each of their finalists and if they all get pins that would give them 24 more points and as long as John Stays off the mat Pokes win without having a champ, but I see no reason that the boys wouldn’t add to their lead.

Looks like the finals are on fox sports midwest. Which is fairly national now unlike fox sports ok. They must have heard our outrage.

Looks like the finals are on fox sports midwest. Which is fairly national now unlike fox sports ok. They must have heard our outrage.
1, OK State 135.5
2. Iowa State 108.5
3. UNI 101.5
4. South Dakota St. 84
Finals matches for OK State
125 Pic vs. Mackall
149 Boo vs. Pohlmeyer
157 Wyatt vs. David Carr
165 Wittlake vs. Andrew Fogarty

Mine shows FoxS MIDWEST @3am Monday morning, nothing live. Really stupid to have whole tournament on something we can get live & mobile and then put the finals on tape delay 3am. :(

Reactions: NCcowboy
I’m watching the Finals on Fox Sports right now. It is on several regional Fox Sports channels
I've got nothing, not on Fox Sports1, FS2, Fox, or Fox Midwest. Only shows on at 3am F Mdw, even FoxSportsGo only shows the 3am option. Guess I'll get off the internet & watch DVR in morning.

Do you think it's possible the B12 admin don't realize there are B12 outside of the state of Oklahoma? :(

Reactions: OHkie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT