ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 wrestling championships

That would be huge. But I’ll bet him and glory just switch places. But I hope I’m wrong.

Probably, but I guess one would argue Piccs two losses are Glory and Lee. Then might depend on who has better wins/ strength of schedule or more dominant - common opponents. I am hopeful.

Reactions: ctdub
The young guys are getting better.
Montalvo needs a couple of go to takedowns. It will come.
Sheets is turning the corner. Looks like he can be a contender his next 2 years.
Wittlake is going to be fun to watch.
Hopefully with what is coming back next year that we can contend next year.

The young guys are getting better.
Montalvo needs a couple of go to takedowns. It will come.
Sheets is turning the corner. Looks like he can be a contender his next 2 years.
Wittlake is going to be fun to watch.
Hopefully with what is coming back next year that we can contend next year.
The Big 12 Tournament went well for us. Next year we should break the record of consecutive Big 12 Championships. Pic won his fourth which puts him in rare company. I did not think he wrestled real good in the finals but won. Witcraft seems to be the same wrestler he was in the beginning of the year. He can wrestle good or he can wrestle poorly with no focus and make poor decisions. Hone wrestled okay but I hope G takes over next year. Boo wrestled well as long as he stays aggressive. Wyatt wrestled okay and I hope he all americans. Wittlake wrestled good the whole tournament and this needs to continue and hopefully get better at nationals ( very important). Joe wrestled good but needs to improve to place at Nationals. Montalvo wrestled his normal matches but I hope in the offseason develops a go to takedown shooting on an opponents legs. Geer wrestled good in the consolations and took 3rd. Austin wrestles to his ability and size. I hope we wrestle good at nationals to prepare us for next year. I still think the year after next year is our first real chance to win Nationals and get 35.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Hell of a tournament. Doubt even the most homerish of use expected to win by more than 40 points. Guys are getting better, especially the ones who will be around next year.

Outside of Witcraft's development (who I still think will be a good wrestler for us), you've got to love the development of guys like Sheets, Wittlake and Taco.

Hell of a tournament. Doubt even the most homerish of use expected to win by more than 40 points. Guys are getting better, especially the ones who will be around next year.

Outside of Witcraft's development (who I still think will be a good wrestler for us), you've got to love the development of guys like Sheets, Wittlake and Taco.

It's nice to pull for a guy (Sheets) and see them excel. Hopefully, he turns in an AA performance.

But, yeah, we Wrestled well, at or above seed in 7 weights. Pretty good performance as a team, with something to build on next year.

I would like to see Taco develop an offense, he could do very well. I still have yet to see Wittlake Wrestle, I somehow have missed him every single time.

I didn't get to see the Finals due to looking on ESPN+ and NEVER finding it on Fox.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
It's nice to pull for a guy (Sheets) and see them excel. Hopefully, he turns in an AA performance.

But, yeah, we Wrestled well, at or above seed in 7 weights. Pretty good performance as a team, with something to build on next year.

I would like to see Taco develop an offense, he could do very well. I still have yet to see Wittlake Wrestle, I somehow have missed him every single time.

I didn't get to see the Finals due to looking on ESPN+ and NEVER finding it on Fox.

You are missing out. Wittlake is just really solid in every position. I have no idea what his true ceiling is but he is going to win a ton of matches for us over the next four years. I've never really heard him speak until his matside interview after winning last night. You could tell he has a lot of confidence right now and is having a lot of fun.

You are missing out. Wittlake is just really solid in every position. I have no idea what his true ceiling is but he is going to win a ton of matches for us over the next four years. I've never really heard him speak until his matside interview after winning last night. You could tell he has a lot of confidence right now and is having a lot of fun.

He is a very good defensive wrestler and is hard to get deep on. Saying that he has a nice a varied offensive attack that is showing continuous improvement.

He is a hammer on top and has shown he can get out from bottom well.

If he continues to progress he should in the NC contender conversation the next few year.

The regional Fox (F midwest etc) are replaying middle if the night. Wasn't on live where I live, recorded the 3am Fox Midwest broadcast. They didn't even show the Wittlake match. Pretty disgusting that B12 and Fox doing this. Just leave the whole thing on ESPN+ why put the finals on a local/regional broadcast?

Reactions: NCcowboy
The regional Fox (F midwest etc) are replaying middle if the night. Wasn't on live where I live, recorded the 3am Fox Midwest broadcast. They didn't even show the Wittlake match. Pretty disgusting that B12 and Fox doing this. Just leave the whole thing on ESPN+ why put the finals on a local/regional broadcast?

Exactly, I cut the cord a few years ago because of how I was required to view Wrestling. Trash administering IMO, but, what do I know?

The Big 12 as a whole has really missed the boat on this tournament. Very little promotion, poor choice of broadcast partners, etc. Perhaps the contract with Fox was in place before the deal with ESPN+ and they couldn't change it, I don't know. They need to do better. As far as the BOK, it is a nice facility, but there are a few things they could do to improve the fan experience. The number one thing is to have dedicated spots to buy bout sheets that do not sell anything else. Every year, I have to stand in line behind a dozen people trying to decide which of two dozen t-shirts they want to buy before I can get a bout sheet. And while we are on bout sheets, please get someone to draw them up who actually knows how to number the bouts so fans can follow them on the mat. Placing the seeds in the proper spots on the bout sheet would also help, as would actually putting the seeding numbers by the seeded wrestlers. Maybe they can get it right next year, but I'm not counting on it.

Reactions: LoveOSUSports
The Big 12 as a whole has really missed the boat on this tournament. Very little promotion, poor choice of broadcast partners, etc. Perhaps the contract with Fox was in place before the deal with ESPN+ and they couldn't change it, I don't know. They need to do better. As far as the BOK, it is a nice facility, but there are a few things they could do to improve the fan experience. The number one thing is to have dedicated spots to buy bout sheets that do not sell anything else. Every year, I have to stand in line behind a dozen people trying to decide which of two dozen t-shirts they want to buy before I can get a bout sheet. And while we are on bout sheets, please get someone to draw them up who actually knows how to number the bouts so fans can follow them on the mat. Placing the seeds in the proper spots on the bout sheet would also help, as would actually putting the seeding numbers by the seeded wrestlers. Maybe they can get it right next year, but I'm not counting on it.

This is what had to have happened. I can't imagine the Big 12 wanted it to be on two different networks. Not having a dedicated network kills us. Last night, I watched the Big 10 finals on the Big 10 network. I even caught some of the ACC finals on the ACC network. In Oklahoma, I finally found the Big 12 finals on Fox Sports Ohio.

I am pleased by the improvement in wrestling over the past few years since the expansion. Joining the Big 12 has helped the other schools and we saw some quality wrestlers this weekend. I hope some of the Big 12 wrestlers make some noise in Minneapolis in two weeks.

I am pleased by the improvement in wrestling over the past few years since the expansion. Joining the Big 12 has helped the other schools and we saw some quality wrestlers this weekend. I hope some of the Big 12 wrestlers make some noise in Minneapolis in two weeks.

Adding the other schools has been so important. I've been surprised by how quickly they've made an impact and improved. Still a long way to go but the conference is night and day better than it was just a couple of years ago.

Iowa State is not far off. I would think OU would be better next year but who knows. They finished in 6th and I didn't even think they wrestled terribly. They've got some guys with talent but they just aren't getting better for whatever reason.

I thought Stieirt from UNI should have won it, but Adams is a hammer and pounded a very solid Sloan. Stieirts only close match was Joe which gives me some hope for him. Joe just has to stay focused another 12 days and he could be a three time AA.

I thought Stieirt from UNI should have won it, but Adams is a hammer and pounded a very solid Sloan. Stieirts only close match was Joe which gives me some hope for him. Joe just has to stay focused another 12 days and he could be a three time AA.
4 time champ only 8 in the history of the Big 12 has to be outstanding wrestler. Again I agree that Pic did not wrestle well but still a 4 timer=outstanding wrestler. Also Mueller Virginia lost in ACC finals and so Pic might get the 3rd seed at Nationals which could get him in the finals but he will have to wrestle better than in the finals to get to the National finals.

What about Wittlake? Did he have any close matches?

What about Wittlake? Did he have any close matches?
Wittlake had a TF, then, 10-3, then 8-4 in the finals. Steiert had a MD 8-0, 4-1, then a pin in the finals. Picc was TF, MD, 3-1. Adams was 2-1, 7-4, and 5-1. Boo was TF, fall, 8-5. None of those were extremely outstanding in my opinion. They gave it to Nick, probably based on his 4 year accomplishment, rather than his performance in this tournament. While I am pleased that he got it, I think the award should be based solely on this tournament, in which case I would have gone with Boo or Steiert. I remember how upset all OSU fans were when Pendleton was clearly the best wrestler at NCAA's his senior (?) year, but the award was given to Greg Jones of West Virginia based on his 4 year record. If it's going to be a lifetime achievement award, then they need to rename it. Just my two cents.

While I think there is no doubt Picc got it because he was a four-timer, I'm not sure anyone was robbed.

Picc: two bonus point wins and a two-point win in the finals
Boo: two bonus point wins and a two-point win in the finals

Steiert probably has the best argument with three bonus wins. However, he also had the close match with Jo and got an extra round. I think Picc (and Boo) would have bonuses if they got a first-round match.

Probably a coin flip between those three with solid arguments for all.

Reactions: osu2082
Wittlake had a TF, then, 10-3, then 8-4 in the finals. Steiert had a MD 8-0, 4-1, then a pin in the finals. Picc was TF, MD, 3-1. Adams was 2-1, 7-4, and 5-1. Boo was TF, fall, 8-5. None of those were extremely outstanding in my opinion. They gave it to Nick, probably based on his 4 year accomplishment, rather than his performance in this tournament. While I am pleased that he got it, I think the award should be based solely on this tournament, in which case I would have gone with Boo or Steiert. I remember how upset all OSU fans were when Pendleton was clearly the best wrestler at NCAA's his senior (?) year, but the award was given to Greg Jones of West Virginia based on his 4 year record. If it's going to be a lifetime achievement award, then they need to rename it. Just my two cents.
What could have hurt Steiert was his finals match. He was very nearly pinned and was losing going into the 3rd period before getting the pin. Boo had a good case in that his weight class was tough. 5 of the top 13 nationally. He pinned #10 in the semis but was taken down twice in the finals.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
They need to have the finals earlier in the day. It was sad how few fans were there. And wrestling in Oklahoma is big so why would you schedule the finals when so many families around the state aren't going to show up. It was not over until around 8 so if you were coming from very far at all you weren't getting home until quite late. Many fans with kids (junior wrestlers) just aren't going to show up for something that late on Sunday night.

The Big Ten has their finals in the afternoon and I believe the 3rd place and 5th place matches are going on at somewhat the same time (3 mats) It seems like that creates a lot of interest and keeps more fans around. (I could be wrong about some of this since as I didn't watch this year but I believe that is the way they do it)

They need to have the finals earlier in the day. It was sad how few fans were there. And wrestling in Oklahoma is big so why would you schedule the finals when so many families around the state aren't going to show up. It was not over until around 8 so if you were coming from very far at all you weren't getting home until quite late. Many fans with kids (junior wrestlers) just aren't going to show up for something that late on Sunday night.

The Big Ten has their finals in the afternoon and I believe the 3rd place and 5th place matches are going on at somewhat the same time (3 mats) It seems like that creates a lot of interest and keeps more fans around. (I could be wrong about some of this since as I didn't watch this year but I believe that is the way they do it)
Totally agree with this. 3PM would have been much better for the finals.

Reactions: osu2082

You are correct. A 5 hour gap between the morning and evening sessions is way too long. The Big 10 has 3 mats going, with 1st, 3rd and 5th place matches happening at the same time. I think the first year they had them at the BOK they had the finals at 3 or 4 and that worked very well. Starting at 6 means the finals aren’t over until after 8:30, which is too late for many folks that have to drive more than a couple of hours to get there.

I don't get the long gap either. My only thought is maybe they don't want to overlap with the Big 10 finals but that was a dumb thought. It wouldn't matter at all.

I don't get the long gap either. My only thought is maybe they don't want to overlap with the Big 10 finals but that was a dumb thought. It wouldn't matter at all.
The timing was probably driven by television, as it often is. To grow the sport, though, you need to make it more appealing to families so kids get interested at an early age. The Big 12 can learn a lot from the Big 10 in promoting wrestling. The B12 has gotten stronger and that will help, but the league needs to do their part. Iowa State will be right there with OSU next year. Northern Iowa isn't that far behind, as evidenced by their dual victory over OSU this season. OU may be better, they have some good kids, if they can develop them. And, lastly, OSU needs to do better promoting the team. The Tulsa World often does not even have the results of an OSU dual, much less a story about it, and I think that goes back to the OSU Athletic Department.

I think the gap grows.
Depends on how many of our recruits redshirt, I suppose. Some will be forced into the lineup because we have no one else. Plus, there are questions about whether Brock and Gfeller return and how effective they will be. And they will both be 141 or on the bench. One key for us will be the Purdue heavyweight and if he wrestles.

I think the gap grows.

Yeah, I think ISU will continue to improve but barring injury, this will be our worst team for the foreseeable future. We probably won't be national championship good next year but we are going to be pretty loaded.

Yeah, I think ISU will continue to improve but barring injury, this will be our worst team for the foreseeable future. We probably won't be national championship good next year but we are going to be pretty loaded.
If not in the running next year with the JRs & SRs in the lineup then prob not in two years with a younger team and Penn St will be reloaded by then. And don't have to have 10 guys to win za team championship. A hwt would be good (more so for dual meets) but if can't make AA then not adding much in terms of team points. Look at how stacked hwt will be next year.

The Big 12 Tournament went well for us. Next year we should break the record of consecutive Big 12 Championships. Pic won his fourth which puts him in rare company. I did not think he wrestled real good in the finals but won. Witcraft seems to be the same wrestler he was in the beginning of the year. He can wrestle good or he can wrestle poorly with no focus and make poor decisions. Hone wrestled okay but I hope G takes over next year. Boo wrestled well as long as he stays aggressive. Wyatt wrestled okay and I hope he all americans. Wittlake wrestled good the whole tournament and this needs to continue and hopefully get better at nationals ( very important). Joe wrestled good but needs to improve to place at Nationals. Montalvo wrestled his normal matches but I hope in the offseason develops a go to takedown shooting on an opponents legs. Geer wrestled good in the consolations and took 3rd. Austin wrestles to his ability and size. I hope we wrestle good at nationals to prepare us for next year. I still think the year after next year is our first real chance to win Nationals and get 35.
I thought the biggest match of the tournament was the 149 semi's with Boo pinning Degan in a high scoring match. Iowa State seemed to have momtentum and that match seemed to turn the momentum towards the Cowboys. I was also surprised that Sheets in a very close match with him on top turned Franek twice to win a major in the 157 semi's.

4 time champ only 8 in the history of the Big 12 has to be outstanding wrestler. Again I agree that Pic did not wrestle well but still a 4 timer=outstanding wrestler. Also Mueller Virginia lost in ACC finals and so Pic might get the 3rd seed at Nationals which could get him in the finals but he will have to wrestle better than in the finals to get to the National finals.

Any idea the RPI, strength of schedule between Picc and Mueller? Picc has two losses, but to Lee and Glory who will be 1 and 2 seeds. Mueller didn't wrestle either and has a loss, but was a finalist last year. I am thinking RPI, strength of opponents and these metrics will be the deciding points.

If not in the running next year with the JRs & SRs in the lineup then prob not in two years with a younger team and Penn St will be reloaded by then. And don't have to have 10 guys to win za team championship. A hwt would be good (more so for dual meets) but if can't make AA then not adding much in terms of team points. Look at how stacked hwt will be next year.

Not sure we are going to have all that many juniors and seniors in the lineup next year. Boo, Sheets, Greer ... maybe Kaid?

Not sure we are going to have all that many juniors and seniors in the lineup next year. Boo, Sheets, Greer ... maybe Kaid?
And hence why the just wait two years thing usually doesn't pan out. But if went well it could/should've been:
Fix, Brock, G, Boo, Sheets, Geer

combine with So Wittlake & Montalvo & fill in 174 & hwt

that's a very experienced lineup.

And hence why the just wait two years thing usually doesn't pan out. But if went well it could/should've been:
Fix, Brock, G, Boo, Sheets, Geer

combine with So Wittlake & Montalvo & fill in 174 & hwt

that's a very experienced lineup.

I agree. It’s going to be a really good team. Maybe even a punchers chance to win. Iowa is going to be tough to beat though. I just thing our real chance starts when you put Fix, Wittlake, Taco, hopefully G, with guys like Plott, AJ, Mastro, Haas and more.

I don't know if anyone running the tournament noticed that in the Carr/Sheets final their fathers had five national championships between them at their respective schools. That was something that seemed worth noting. Maybe they didn't want to belittle their accomplishments. Anyway, Wyatt wrestled a great tournament with the freshman Carr showing slightly more in the final.

I don't know if anyone running the tournament noticed that in the Carr/Sheets final their fathers had five national championships between them at their respective schools. That was something that seemed worth noting. Maybe they didn't want to belittle their accomplishments. Anyway, Wyatt wrestled a great tournament with the freshman Carr showing slightly more in the final.

It was talked about a ton on the broadcast.

Any idea the RPI, strength of schedule between Picc and Mueller? Picc has two losses, but to Lee and Glory who will be 1 and 2 seeds. Mueller didn't wrestle either and has a loss, but was a finalist last year. I am thinking RPI, strength of opponents and these metrics will be the deciding points.

According to the latest WrestleStat update, Mueller is a match short of earning the RPI ranking. So Picc will beat him on that criteria as well as conference placement.

Also as expected, Joe reached the minimum match requirement for RPI. He's #12.

Reactions: NCcowboy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT