ADVERTISEMENT

Bedlam

Despite the loss, I was impressed with Sheets. If he can get healed up, he could be a threat in March. With over a month until NCAAs, I am hoping he will have that brace off before then. Wittlake also seems to be turning things up a notch. Not the best competition today, but I loved how he pushed himself to score techs instead of settling for majors. I was hoping Ferrari would dominate a bit more, but could not tell if the Sooner was wrestling defensively to avoid getting scored big on.

Harris and Hone are far and away the weakest parts of our lineup, which sucks because I really like both of them. I would love to see Gfeller get a shot at 141 if he can make it down to that weight. I think his ceiling is much higher than Hone's, and he did his best wrestling at 141, not 149.

John talked to the media it seemed after Bedlam. He was not as happy about the dual as the media was. He was most dissatisfied with Harris and said if Austin didn't give better effort and performance Coach could stick a freshman in the lineup. He indicated that Ferrari is young and needs to learn. It was a win over a good opponent but described AJ performance as 1 effort performance. The media said they were so impressed with Wittlake and his tech fall. Coach wasn't as impressed and felt his opponent quit wrestling after 2 minutes because he was mentally broken. He think he needs a little bit more from Wittlake. Not happy with Boo and Hone survived the match. He was happy with Trevor and Reece especially Reece in the 3rd period. He spotlighted Plott and Geer as true Cowboy performances. After his statement about Plott after Bedlam no wonder he glared at Plott after the Little Rock performance.

John talked to the media it seemed after Bedlam. He was not as happy about the dual as the media was. He was most dissatisfied with Harris and said if Austin didn't give better effort and performance Coach could stick a freshman in the lineup. He indicated that Ferrari is young and needs to learn. It was a win over a good opponent but described AJ performance as 1 effort performance. The media said they were so impressed with Wittlake and his tech fall. Coach wasn't as impressed and felt his opponent quit wrestling after 2 minutes because he was mentally broken. He think he needs a little bit more from Wittlake. Not happy with Boo and Hone survived the match. He was happy with Trevor and Reece especially Reece in the 3rd period. He spotlighted Plott and Geer as true Cowboy performances. After his statement about Plott after Bedlam no wonder he glared at Plott after the Little Rock performance.

I think John presses Wittlake because he knows just how good he can be. His ceiling is right there with Daton & AJ, meaning not only NCAA champ, but World/Olympic team member. Athletic, technical, good gas tank. IMO the only missing piece is wrestling with a chip on his shoulder.

I think John presses Wittlake because he knows just how good he can be. His ceiling is right there with Daton & AJ, meaning not only NCAA champ, but World/Olympic team member. Athletic, technical, good gas tank. IMO the only missing piece is wrestling with a chip on his shoulder.
I agree that he could wrestle with more of a chip. There were a few times in that dual where I felt like he could have tried to snake his opponent ala (Johnny thompson) and put him out of his misery but he seemed content. Granted he did get the tech which I enjoyed but the expectations are high and a pin from a whipped opponent was expected (or at least the attempt).

Reactions: Wrassler17
John Smith was really into Reece's match, especially in the third period. You can tell when he really likes a kid and what is going on.

Are we sure it is going to be Hone? Any chance Gfeller can get to 141?
No idea honestly. I just assume Hone is the guy. Even if G could get down I probably trust Hone more in a matchup with Demas but what do I know.

Just throwing this out as a possibility...

Gfeller is not listed for the Cowboy Challenge in Trackwrestling. He last wrestled (weighed in) at Air Force on 1/22. Maybe he's dropping to challenge for the 141 spot? Based on the descent plan rules, he would be eligible for 141 at Bedlam next week. He's already wrestled 4 D1 matches at 149, so he could still back up Boo there.

Just throwing this out as a possibility...

Gfeller is not listed for the Cowboy Challenge in Trackwrestling. He last wrestled (weighed in) at Air Force on 1/22. Maybe he's dropping to challenge for the 141 spot? Based on the descent plan rules, he would be eligible for 141 at Bedlam next week. He's already wrestled 4 D1 matches at 149, so he could still back up Boo there.
He’s hurt.

Remember, he beat Aaron Brooks for the world cadet team, who in-turn, won a gold medal after Whittlake was inured.

Remember, he beat Aaron Brooks for the world cadet team, who in-turn, won a gold medal after Whittlake was inured.

That was some run. Wittlake beat 3 top notch guys in a row - Julian Ramirez (Cornell) in the quarters, Patrick Kennedy (Iowa) in the semis, then Brooks (PSU) twice in the finals.

Reactions: tom_v31
That was some run. Wittlake beat 3 top notch guys in a row - Julian Ramirez (Cornell) in the quarters, Patrick Kennedy (Iowa) in the semis, then Brooks (PSU) twice in the finals.
You can definitely see the potential when he wrestles. He seems to be gaining in confidence and desire every match too

Reactions: Wrassler17
Hone & Plott are listed in the press notes without alternates

It is hard to keep Hone off the mat

DOK schedule says ESPNU for whatever that's worth.

Upon additional contemplation I am even more convinced that Fix should bump to 141 for the dual. Fix needs to be separating himself from guys like DeSanto, Mimic, etc. And if he is trying to be best in the world he should not be concerned with Demas, he needs the challenge, he should go out and dominate.

Last edited:
If the coaches think Fix at 141 gives us a better shot at winning the dual I'm all for it. Not sure Fix "needs" to do it to accomplish any of his individual goals. In the long run, wrestling or not wrestling Demas means nothing for Fix.

According the lineups OU tweeted out it’s Witcraft or Burks at 141.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT