ADVERTISEMENT

Any one traveled much to Australia?

Inky29

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2001
On my bucket list of things to see are the fireworks on New Years eve in Sydney Harbor. Gonna have to save up a bit for it but I figure ringing in the anniversary of the 50th year of my birth would be a good time to go. Anyone have much experience planning travel over there?

25 years ago Qantas was quite a bit cheaper than American airlines. Plus they now fly out of Dallas.

Reactions: Inky29
You might be a little disappointed with Australia....but maybe not. It was definitely a one and done country for me. Was very similar to the US, in my opinion. I'd probably recommend New Zealand instead. Just more natural beauty.

If you're going mainly for fireworks, Sydney has a tremendous show. But don't rule out Bastille Day in Paris or any summer fireworks show in Japan. Amazing.

You might be a little disappointed with Australia....but maybe not. It was definitely a one and done country for me. Was very similar to the US, in my opinion. I'd probably recommend New Zealand instead. Just more natural beauty.

If you're going mainly for fireworks, Sydney has a tremendous show. But don't rule out Bastille Day in Paris or any summer fireworks show in Japan. Amazing.
Spent two and a half weeks in Sydney and agree. Cool place but felt like the US.

Spent two weeks in Japan. Would definitely go back.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

Sydney is a large metropolis but does have some world wide attractions.

Sydney opera house has tours.

You can take a ferry across the bay to the Taronga zoo to see all the different species native to Australia along with the regular zoo stuff.

There's the Skyfeast rotating restaurant in Sydney Tower. https://skyfeastsydneytower.com.au/

Of course a bunch of beaches. Be prepared for heat as it will be summer at new years.

If planning on multiple stops:

Port Douglas (N of Cairns) has nice beaches and access to the Great Barrier Reef.

Brisbane is on the "Gold Coast" and is more tropical like Florida or Hawaii.

Canberra, capital of Australia, is really unique as the city center was completely designed before constructed.

If you want to see New Zealand watch the Lord of the Rings.

I'm fully expecting to be killed by some type of poisonous bug while over there. My plan is to hit Sydney for a day or so and then get out away from the big city stuff. Kind of like when I go to Hawaii, Honolulu is fine but it's just another big city. This trip, if I end up pulling it off, is more of just a bucket list type thing for me. I'm sure there are other places to visit, I just have always wanted to visit there. I'd love to visit New Zealand as well.

Just got back from Paris and probably won't head back there anytime soon. To me, Paris is like a high-priced stripper, looks amazing but you know if you get too close you are going to get an STD.

I'm fully expecting to be killed by some type of poisonous bug while over there. My plan is to hit Sydney for a day or so and then get out away from the big city stuff. Kind of like when I go to Hawaii, Honolulu is fine but it's just another big city. This trip, if I end up pulling it off, is more of just a bucket list type thing for me. I'm sure there are other places to visit, I just have always wanted to visit there. I'd love to visit New Zealand as well.

Just got back from Paris and probably won't head back there anytime soon. To me, Paris is like a high-priced stripper, looks amazing but you know if you get too close you are going to get an STD.
Katoomba is a beautiful area that has the "three sisters" rock formation with aboriginal lore.

Also a railway in the Guinness world record for steepest incline. It's a pretty wild ride.

😂

I probably wouldn’t go that far but I get what you are saying.

Every time I’ve gone in the past I was meeting with coworkers who lived there. Helps a great deal in finding good places and avoiding bad.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

Sydney is a large metropolis but does have some world wide attractions.

Sydney opera house has tours.

You can take a ferry across the bay to the Taronga zoo to see all the different species native to Australia along with the regular zoo stuff.

There's the Skyfeast rotating restaurant in Sydney Tower. https://skyfeastsydneytower.com.au/

Of course a bunch of beaches. Be prepared for heat as it will be summer at new years.

If planning on multiple stops:

Port Douglas (N of Cairns) has nice beaches and access to the Great Barrier Reef.

Brisbane is on the "Gold Coast" and is more tropical like Florida or Hawaii.

Canberra, capital of Australia, is really unique as the city center was completely designed before constructed.

If you want to see New Zealand watch the Lord of the Rings.
Sydney is very cool. Australia is an awesome country. Just a long way to go to visit some place more similar to the US than just about anywhere but Canada.

Reactions: Breastman
Sydney is very cool. Australia is an awesome country. Just a long way to go to visit some place more similar to the US than just about anywhere but Canada.
I agree about Sydney and I was joking about New Zealand.

That's why on my trip there we went to Great Barrier Reef and Hawaii on the way back. 1 of our 2 days in Sydney was actually driving to the mountains to show my new bride where I grew up. The other day was at the opera house, the zoo and the beach.

I agree about Sydney and I was joking about New Zealand.

That's why on my trip there we went to Great Barrier Reef and Hawaii on the way back. 1 of our 2 days in Sydney was actually driving to the mountains to show my new bride where I grew up. The other day was at the opera house, the zoo and the beach.
I wish I would have done more while there. I did go to Hunter Valley, but that was about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT