ADVERTISEMENT

Active shooter now 20 plus injured in Florida school

9 pages thus far and this is what we've learned:

A. Gun Control advocates think confiscating weapons is a magic bullet (pardon the pun) to eliminating these killings.

B. The other side firmly believes it is cultural and has nothing to do with the guns.

C. Neither side is going to be persuaded by the other.......in even the slightest bit, other than both sides can agree on serious background checks and waiting periods on new acquisitions.

Reactions: OrangePhish
9 pages thus far and this is what we've learned:

A. Gun Control advocates think confiscating weapons is a magic bullet (pardon the pun) to eliminating these killings.

B. The other side firmly believes it is cultural and has nothing to do with the guns.

C. Neither side is going to be persuaded by the other.......in even the slightest bit, other than both sides can agree on serious background checks and waiting periods on new acquisitions.
I think both sides agree on wanting better safety at school.

Reactions: Been Jammin
Getting rid of 'gun free zones' will help reduce spree killings.

Better security designed into schools.

Armed guards to decrease response times.

Fix the flaws in background checks - but make them real time.

Make it easier and more open for private sellers to use the background database. Many would voluntarily use it before we'd sell one of our firearms. We don't want guns in bad people's hands either.

Promote carry laws so more people can respond. This coupled with no more gun free zones would effectively arm teachers who could then respond.

Voluntary government gun buy back program.

End the No Child Left Behind philosophy, allowing schools to discipline and expel problem students. Education is a privilege, not a right. That would teach students that their actions have consequences.

Make it easier and more open for private sellers to use the background database. Many would voluntarily use it before we'd sell one of our firearms. We don't want guns in bad people's hands either.

Promote carry laws so more people can respond. This coupled with no more gun free zones would effectively arm teachers who could then respond.

End the No Child Left Behind philosophy, allowing schools to discipline and expel problem students. Education is a privilege, not a right. That would teach students that their actions have consequences.
Solid

The left is ****ing stupid to mock people who offer thoughts and prayers.

So what are your thoughts of the parents burying their dead kids who mock mostly politicians who offer T & Ps? Those folks fvckin stupid too?

So what are your thoughts of the parents burying their dead kids who mock mostly politicians who offer T & Ps? Those folks fvckin stupid too?
I’m not going to judge parents who lose a child.

Some good ideas in this post.

At first blush, I think it is a bad idea to allow teachers to carry, but the more I think about it, maybe not. Part of the reason schools are getting shot up is that they are soft targets and the shooter knows that he is unlikely to face return fire until the cops arrive.

As the article I linked states, research into this idea makes sense.

I would add to these ideas...

-Change the minimum age to purchase semi-auto weapons from 18 to 21.

-Make it more difficult to purchase a semi-auto weapon. More stringent background checks, an extended waiting period, a large tax on the purchase. Any of these, or some combination of the 3, might have kept Cruz from using such an efficient weapon. If you are going to allow teachers to carry, at least do something to prevent them from having to use their handgun against a shooter with an AR-15.

Some good ideas in this post.

At first blush, I think it is a bad idea to allow teachers to carry, but the more I think about it, maybe not. Part of the reason schools are getting shot up is that they are soft targets and the shooter knows that he is unlikely to face return fire until the cops arrive.

As the article I linked states, research into this idea makes sense.

I would add to these ideas...

-Change the minimum age to purchase semi-auto weapons from 18 to 21.

-Make it more difficult to purchase a semi-auto weapon. More stringent background checks, an extended waiting period, a large tax on the purchase. Any of these, or some combination of the 3, might have kept Cruz from using such an efficient weapon. If you are going to allow teachers to carry, at least do something to prevent them from having to use their handgun against a shooter with an AR-15.

Define more stringent regarding background checks. What would you change specifically? (not a gotcha question. I need to know before making a judgement if this is valuable.) We might be saying the same thing here. But make the background checks near-real time.
Define extended regarding waiting periods? Again, they have pros and cons.
I could probably get behind 21 as an age limit. Not sure it is constitutional. But would be willing to let it play out in the courts.

Define more stringent regarding background checks. What would you change specifically? (not a gotcha question. I need to know before making a judgement if this is valuable.) We might be saying the same thing here. But make the background checks near-real time.
Define extended regarding waiting periods? Again, they have pros and cons.
I could probably get behind 21 as an age limit. Not sure it is constitutional. But would be willing to let it play out in the courts.

On background checks.... Not sure. I have never purchased a gun, so I don't know how stringent they currently are. I just hear plenty of stories about shooters purchasing weapons legally, when they should not have been allowed to, but red flags were missed or not shared between agencies.

On waiting periods....If you want to purchase a Semi-auto, why do you want it? I can see 3 reasons. 1). You just want to have one in case of a zombie apocalypse, or other SHTF scenario. 2). You just want to take it to the range and shoot it for fun. 3). You work for a company that uses them to kill wild pigs, or something along those lines.

In all 3 situations, I see no reason why you would need to walk into a store/gun show and walk out with the weapon. Go pick it out and pay for it. The seller then holds it for X amount of days. If you were planning to use it for something nefarious, maybe this waiting period gives you time to calm down/change your mind. Maybe this allows more time for the background check to connect dots and for red flags to pop up. Maybe the shooter says "F that, I'm not waiting", and uses a less efficient weapon.

On waiting periods....If you want to purchase a Semi-auto, why do you want it? I can see 3 reasons. 1). You just want to have one in case of a zombie apocalypse, or other SHTF scenario. 2). You just want to take it to the range and shoot it for fun. 3). You work for a company that uses them to kill wild pigs, or something along those lines.

Again, you make the false assumption that all semi-automatics are AR-15 style weapons and you ignore the fact that there are hunting rifles that would qualify. I'm not saying I shouldn't have to wait to purchase a hunting rifle, mainly because I already have all of the rifles I would ever need. But I think politically, you need to focus on what can be achieved.....and going after hunting stuff has the makings of failure before you get started.

Reactions: Rulz
It also prevents the person who's been threatened from being able to defend themselves. Again, pros and cons. I'm not sure the pros outweigh the cons, especially if you fix the deficiencies in instant but thorough background checks.

On background checks.... Not sure. I have never purchased a gun, so I don't know how stringent they currently are. I just hear plenty of stories about shooters purchasing weapons legally, when they should not have been allowed to, but red flags were missed or not shared between agencies.

In all 3 situations, I see no reason why you would need to walk into a store/gun show and walk out with the weapon. Go pick it out and pay for it. The seller then holds it for X amount of days. If you were planning to use it for something nefarious, maybe this waiting period gives you time to calm down/change your mind. Maybe this allows more time for the background check to connect dots and for red flags to pop up. Maybe the shooter says "F that, I'm not waiting", and uses a less efficient weapon.
I don’t think you know what a semi-automatic is. You know what an AR-15 is, but not all semi-autos are AR-15s. You don’t like semi-automatic rifles with high capacity magazines and a pistol grip...I think.

Reactions: BIGOSUFAN
I don’t think you know what a semi-automatic is. You know what an AR-15 is, but not all semi-autos are AR-15s. You don’t like semi-automatic rifles with high capacity magazines and a pistol grip...I think.

Yes. Right on all counts.

I was pretty sure that there are semi-auto weapons that are not as efficient at killing as the AR-15. I would amend my previous posts to delineate between those weapons and AR-15 style weapons.

I assume (or am beginning to understand) that there are semi-auto handguns, that someone might purchase to defend themselves, and semi-auto hunting rifles that don't have high capacity mags. I can see legitimate uses for those weapons (specifically self defense and hunting). As I posted above, there simply are not that many situations where the average citizen needs to get their hands on the type of weapon used in most of these mass shootings. They are too easy to get and there is a reason that they are the default gun used in mass shootings.

As I posted earlier in the thread, these guys are not using grenade launchers and flame throwers because they don't have easy access to them. Let's make the AR-15 less accessible and see if that makes a difference.

Basically all guns are semi-auto if they have a magazine or clip, and fire one round per pull of the trigger. Someone else correct me if I’m wrong.

Revolvers, bolt action rifles, and shotguns (most I believe) are not semiautomatic.

As I posted above, there simply are not that many situations where the average citizen needs to get their hands on the type of weapon used in most of these mass shootings. They are too easy to get and there is a reason that they are the default gun used in mass shootings.

As I posted earlier in the thread, these guys are not using grenade launchers and flame throwers because they don't have easy access to them. Let's make the AR-15 less accessible and see if that makes a difference.

You are assuming facts not in evidence when you say 'need'. I may never 'need' to worry about unreasonable searches since I'm a law abiding citizen. But I still have the right to prevent it regardless of 'need'. I really hate when that word is used as it relates to our constitutionally protected rights. Does one really ever 'need' to have a parade? But I have the right to peaceably assemble. And that right must be protected.

Same here with the weapons that you don't see a need for.

Try self defense like the young man in Broken Arrow.

Basically all guns are semi-auto if they have a magazine or clip, and fire one round per pull of the trigger. Someone else correct me if I’m wrong.

Some bolt action rifles and shotguns have magazines and some semi-auto firearms have tubes and not magazines.

The best way to describe a semi-auto is that the firearm is designed to chamber a round automatically and not through manual manipulation by the user, with semi being related to the repeated pulling of the trigger. A full auto will chamber and fire repeatedly with one trigger pull.

For those that are wondering the difference between a clip and a magazine, by definition a magazine is a container. If ammunition is held externally and not inside a container, it's using a clip (old school military rifles are the most common weapons that use a clip). If ammunition is placed inside a container, the firearm uses a magazine.

@Been Jammin honestly did anything in that video surprise you or change your thought process? The way the gun looks is what makes these things a target for gun control advocates. Is that fair or logical?

Good info. Thanks for posting. I have a couple of questions/comments.

-It is pretty clear that the AR-15 has no recoil, while the others all do. It seems to me that the lack of recoil would make it a lot easier to handle/shoot accurately. Especially if we are talking about a guy who is not adept at shooting, and just decides he wants to kill a bunch of people.

-The AR-15 has higher capacity magazines than the others right? Changing out a clip/magazine doesn't take all that long, but it does provide a window for potential victims to get to the shooter or to escape to safety.

-The lady is standing pretty close to her target. I know enough about shotguns to know that those giant holes are going to translate to a bunch of spread out, smaller holes if the target is further away (like firing down a long hallway).

All in all, the video claims that people, who are opposed to the AR-15, only feel that way because they are ignorant and think it looks scary. I would say that the video is misleading and that there is a difference. There is a reason that the overwhelming majority of modern day mass shootings are being perpetrated by the same/similar weapon.

@Been Jammin honestly did anything in that video surprise you or change your thought process? The way the gun looks is what makes these things a target for gun control advocates. Is that fair or logical?

Was actually watching the video when you posted this follow up. Saw your post early this morning but didn't get a chance to watch until a few minutes ago.

Good info. Thanks for posting. I have a couple of questions/comments.

-It is pretty clear that the AR-15 has no recoil, while the others all do. It seems to me that the lack of recoil would make it a lot easier to handle/shoot accurately. Especially if we are talking about a guy who is not adept at shooting, and just decides he wants to kill a bunch of people.

-The AR-15 has higher capacity magazines than the others right? Changing out a clip/magazine doesn't take all that long, but it does provide a window for potential victims to get to the shooter or to escape to safety.

-The lady is standing pretty close to her target. I know enough about shotguns to know that those giant holes are going to translate to a bunch of spread out, smaller holes if the target is further away (like firing down a long hallway).

All in all, the video claims that people, who are opposed to the AR-15, only feel that way because they are ignorant and think it looks scary. I would say that the video is misleading and that there is a difference. There is a reason that the overwhelming majority of modern day mass shootings are being perpetrated by the same/similar weapon.

The lack of recoil is a product of 2 things. One is that the recoil energy is used to chamber the next round. So that does dampen the recoil some. However it more a function of the smaller calaber ammunition. There just isn't nearly as much powder in a .223 shell as the others used in that video. You shoot the same format firearm in a .308 or .300 blackout or a .762 NATO round and it'll kick just like that 30-06 does.

I can make that 3 magazine 'hunting rifle' into a 30 round as well. There are plenty of those floating around. Again, the mechanism used to fire and then chamber the next round is identical.

The shotgun pattern depends on the load being used. Slugs don't disperse into a pattern since there is only one mass of lead. There are other loads that hold the pattern out a ways and then disperse. However, yes it general a shotgun is a closer range firearm than the rifle. It'll generally do a ton of damage up close but can't reach out too far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT