ADVERTISEMENT

Active shooter now 20 plus injured in Florida school

I don't see stricter gun control and better school security as mutually exclusive. It is not one or the other. At least not to me. We can do both.

Of course, we just saw what happened in Parkland. The one armed guy, who was assigned to the school, to protect the kids, hid outside instead of going in to confront Cruz. Why do you think that happened? I can't read minds, but one possibility is that he knows the sound of an AR-15, and was thinking, "I'm not going to take on one (or more) shooters who have assault weapons when I only have this handgun to fight with."

So, what is the solution to that issue? Arm the guards with AR-15's so that they think they are in for a fair fight? Why not make AR-15s more difficult to acquire, so that an armed officer is more likely to be able to make a difference.?

We can still add waiting periods, better background checks, limited number of entrances to a campus, metal detectors, armed guards at the entrance, etc. There are all kinds of ways to reduce the odds of this happening again.

So you admit you don't know what was going on but then suppose the inner turmoil then solve fake problem? Come on...

Just as easy is to not hire pvssies to guard kids. Or arm him better. problem solved.

So you admit you don't know what was going on but then suppose the inner turmoil then solve fake problem? Come on...

Just as easy is to not hire pvssies to guard kids. Or arm him better. problem solved.

I clearly said that my scenario was one possibility. Would you be gung ho to charge in and take down an AR-15 wielding shooter if you only had a 9 mm?

So, your solution to the problem is to just make sure that security officers have AR-15s?

As I said, I have visited Israel. It was weird going to see a movie and seeing semi-auto (or maybe full auto...I'm not sure) weapons leaning against the chairs of 2 guys in my row.

Arming school guards, so heavily, would be a huge paradigm shift in this country.

I clearly said that my scenario was one possibility. Would you be gung ho to charge in and take down an AR-15 wielding shooter if you only had a 9 mm?

So, your solution to the problem is to just make sure that security officers have AR-15s?

As I said, I have visited Israel. It was weird going to see a movie and seeing semi-auto (or maybe full auto...I'm not sure) weapons leaning against the chairs of 2 guys in my row.

Arming school guards, so heavily, would be a huge paradigm shift in this country.
Would I be gung ho. Hell no. That's a terrible situation.

However, I wouldn't have accepted a job where that was a distinct possibility.

I'm totally okay with that paradigm shift happening.

Reactions: Been Jammin
So you admit you don't know what was going on but then suppose the inner turmoil then solve fake problem?

PS. You know that most everyone, who has paid attention to the story, thinks that the guy loitered outside because he was scared to confront the shooter. Might or might not be the case, but that is what many suspect.

PS. You know that most everyone, who has paid attention to the story, thinks that the guy loitered outside because he was scared to confront the shooter. Might or might not be the case, but that is what many suspect.
I don't see that his individual failure should result in semi-automatic rifle restrictions. I think you are connecting things that don't correlate.

Reactions: Been Jammin
I don't see stricter gun control and better school security as mutually exclusive. It is not one or the other. At least not to me. We can do both.

Of course, we just saw what happened in Parkland. The one armed guy, who was assigned to the school, to protect the kids, hid outside instead of going in to confront Cruz. Why do you think that happened? I can't read minds, but one possibility is that he knows the sound of an AR-15, and was thinking, "I'm not going to take on one (or more) shooters who have assault weapons when I only have this handgun to fight with."

So, what is the solution to that issue? Arm the guards with AR-15's so that they think they are in for a fair fight? Why not make AR-15s more difficult to acquire, so that an armed officer is more likely to be able to make a difference.?

We can still add waiting periods, better background checks, limited number of entrances to a campus, metal detectors, armed guards at the entrance, etc. There are all kinds of ways to reduce the odds of this happening again.

I think it was several pages up when I stated.....correctly.....that we can not do both. Because you will never be successful limiting guns. Limit AR15's and it will be hunting rifles next that are LITERALLY IDENTICAL in speed and killing power. Since it will be impossible for you to be successful in controlling it from the gun angle, I proposed (it fell upon deaf ears) that we should do what we CAN do....and that is protect the kids. The gun control fight is a only a loss of time, resources, money, emotional baggage and continual fissures in our populace. All for nothing.

Please explain this comment. At close range I’d be happy with the more maneuverable 9mm pistol.

Makes sense. But, if you are outside the building, when the shooting starts, odds are that you are not going to be at close range when you first encounter the shooter.

Makes sense. But, if you are outside the building, when the shooting starts, odds are that you are not going to be at close range when you first encounter the shooter.

What makes you say that with such confidence....having no knowledge regarding the interior of the school and what tactical advantages or disadvantages that may provide.

BJ, I sit next to an immigrant coworker. Originally he was from Croatia but had to escape from the war. He went to Germany and eventually to America and is now an American citizen. He was conscripted into the army and eventually to help in the refugee camps.

His stories about how the government confiscated guns in his country and then proceeded with ethnic cleansing are chilling. They are a case study in why the American citizen's right to own firearms that are in fact 'weapons of war' are required as a safeguard to our freedoms. It isn't just a cliche that without the 2nd amendment, we wouldn't have the first. They are there to prevent just that story from happening over here. And I'll never buy the argument that 'it could never happen here'. It can.

The further away we get from the atrocities of the the past, the less people understand about this.

What makes you say that with such confidence....having no knowledge regarding the interior of the school and what tactical advantages or disadvantages that may provide.

I think my statement implies that it is more likely that you have some distance between you and the shooter, than that you and the shooter come in contact with each other at close range. That doesn’t mean it is impossible for the deputy to find a way to get closer to him before engaging. You might get lucky. You might get unlucky. There might be more than 1 shooter. He/they might have AR 15s and handguns.

I think my statement implies that it is more likely that you have some distance between you and the shooter, than that you and the shooter come in contact with each other at close range. That doesn’t mean it is impossible for the deputy to find a way to get closer to him before engaging. You might get lucky. You might get unlucky. There might be more than 1 shooter. He/they might have AR 15s and handguns.

Whatever it implies or argues, there are so many variables with different school constructions and active shooter actions that no one can make any implication or argument about what tactical scenario one is more likely to find themselves in during an active shooter scenario.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT