ADVERTISEMENT

ABC cancels Rosanne after tweet

So racial insults should be weighed more heavily than other insults? Where do Jewish, Islam, Christian insults rank? What about LGBT insults? Did I insult someone by leaving out an initial?

If money was the only concern, then Roseanne would probably still be on as it killed it in the ratings. Of course we'll never know what advertisers may have dropped because of the tweet, but ABC/Disney wasn't worried about the bottom line.

You must have missed the part of my post about how Bee's job description is to roast other famous individuals and to do so in an offensive way. That doesn't make her comments about the first daughter acceptable. But it does mean that her offense was different than Barr's, and the two can't be held up as examples of hypocritical responses.

You must have missed the part of my post about how Bee's job description is to roast other famous individuals and to do so in an offensive way. That doesn't make her comments about the first daughter acceptable. But it does mean that her offense was different than Barr's, and the two can't be held up as examples of hypocritical responses.
Interesting. If we're going to split hairs, Barr made her comments on her personal Twitter account. Bee made hers on her actual TV show. So, yeah, the two can be held up as examples of hypocritical responses.

Well, to be fair.... Pushing the envelope and insulting public figures is in her job description. Sure, she went too far, but what she said was not racist. I don't think it is as black and white (no pun intended) as what Barr did.

Don’t you find it funny that racism is older than prostitution and practiced by every race and species but for some reason we just expect it to be turned off like a light switch? I don’t get the hysteria why it is so much worse than calling a mother snuggling with her kid a feckless cvnt.

Liberals are the worst at prioritizing outrage.

but for some reason we just expect it to be turned off like a light switch?

Who expects that? We've been fighting the fight since the 1800's (in this country), and have come a long way. Clearly we still have a long way to go.

Liberals are the worst at prioritizing outrage.

That's rich. Conservatives are so laid back about all things. They never get offended. They treat all situations equally.
I would respect you a lot more if you could appreciate that it is two sides of the same coin.

Who expects that? We've been fighting the fight since the 1800's (in this country), and have come a long way. Clearly we still have a long way to go.

That's rich. Conservatives are so laid back about all things. They never get offended. They treat all situations equally.
I would respect you a lot more if you could appreciate that it is two sides of the same coin.

I don’t think we have a long way to go. From slavery to making it illegal to discriminate? Seems like we’re 90% of the way there. But again racism and Xenophobia is natural. It’s something that has always existed and will always exist.

As far as the prioritizing comment you misunderstood me. I was saying why are liberals outraged about the 14 black people that get shot by cops but have zero marches for the thousands of black people that get shot by black people.

There are a lot of examples of liberals being outraged over things that just aren’t that big a deal in the big scheme of things. Look at the attacks on one percenters. If you expand that to the whole globe we are all one percenters. But when you’re on Wall Street occupying it in a tent yapping about taking a job for eight dollars an hour you’re really not offering a real perspective when you think about the poor parts of India and China and Africa. The outrage is just simply missplaced or wrong when you put it in a real perspective

The decline in racism was going just fine until about nine years ago. And now we’re going backwards because of all this misplaced hysteria.

Last edited:
And I agree with you, but cancelling the show 30 minutes after the tweet is enough proof to me that there probably wasn't a full board meeting to weigh the pros and cons monetarily of cancelling the show, or calling any advertisers to get their opinions or pretty much anyone. The president of ABC made the decision and that was that. ABC's right to do it and obviously their president has the power to cancel any show. But don't try to make it out like it was strictly some business decision. It was as much an emotional reaction to her tweet as anything.

So now it’s an emotional reaction as opposed to an politically motivated bias?

Also, I’m not the one claiming to know beyond a doubt why they made their decision. I merely expressed on what basis, in my opinion, they should have made the decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidallen
??? Ahhh, no.

On second thought you maybe right.
Bee’s probably is a little worse due to situation (ie a lot more people were involved and approved of the slur and it was on TV).

Last edited:
So now it’s an emotional reaction as opposed to an politically motivated bias?

Also, I’m not the one claiming to know beyond a doubt why they made their decision. I merely expressed on what basis, in my opinion, they should have made the decision.

I also didn't claim beyond doubt. I said it is proof enough for me. Not you, not David, or anyone else on this board. But enough for me. I was also expressing my opinion and not saying it as fact. Don't put words in my mouth.

As far as the decision being emotionally, can it not be both? Most people reflect their political views with their emotions. If people could completely separate and compartmentalize their emotions from their political views we'd all be better off as a nation.

I also didn't claim beyond doubt. I said it is proof enough for me. Not you, not David, or anyone else on this board. But enough for me. I was also expressing my opinion and not saying it as fact. Don't put words in my mouth.

As far as the decision being emotionally, can it not be both? Most people reflect their political views with their emotions. If people could completely separate and compartmentalize their emotions from their political views we'd all be better off as a nation.

Sure it could be both, it could be either, it could be neither.

Also, I didn’t put words in your mouth. I quoted you verbatim. Whe. Someone characterizes a direct quote as putting words in their mouth, it’s typically after crawdadding away from their original proposition.

So racial insults should be weighed more heavily than other insults? Where do Jewish, Islam, Christian insults rank? What about LGBT insults? Did I insult someone by leaving out an initial?

If money was the only concern, then Roseanne would probably still be on as it killed it in the ratings. Of course we'll never know what advertisers may have dropped because of the tweet, but ABC/Disney wasn't worried about the bottom line.

Sure looks like an expression of no doubt to me.

Sure it could be both, it could be either, it could be neither.

Also, I didn’t put words in your mouth. I quoted you verbatim. Whe. Someone characterizes a direct quote as putting words in their mouth, it’s typically after crawdadding away from their original proposition.

Sure looks like an expression of no doubt to me.

That looks like a pivot, as that is not the quote you had mentioned about which we were discussing. And do I need to express that everything I say on here is my opinion or fact?

The reason I think it was an emotional/political/personal reaction is because of the quickness and apparent singular decision making of the cancellation. If they were worried about the bottom line, they could have announced the termination of her contract and that the show would be reworked without her character, as they may now be doing. By also just terminating her contract and not the show, the story would have died off much quicker.

Just curious, how many people you think Trump has called c**t?

that’s how you people think,
so OMG offended with your pinky out

yet otards assault on the very fabric of our democracy

doesn’t bother you one damn bit

That looks like a pivot, as that is not the quote you had mentioned about which we were discussing. And do I need to express that everything I say on here is my opinion or fact?

The reason I think it was an emotional/political/personal reaction is because of the quickness and apparent singular decision making of the cancellation. If they were worried about the bottom line, they could have announced the termination of her contract and that the show would be reworked without her character, as they may now be doing. By also just terminating her contract and not the show, the story would have died off much quicker.

It isn’t a pivot at all.

That’s exactly the quote I was referring to.

Now you “think” it was...I’m glad with that. You don’t know, but you think.

Reasonable.

Reactions: CowboyPhil
So,we're amused by the same thing.

Weird.

CNN and it's analog Infowars are both hilarious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Medic007
But it does mean that her offense was different than Barr's, and the two can't be held up as examples of hypocritical responses.

i would have so much more respect for you right now if you didn't participate in this slimy parsing of the respective quality of each statement's outrage factor.

both women are disgusting and should be blasted - but neither should be fired. it's a slippery slope for free speech.

Reactions: NZ Poke
i would have so much more respect for you right now if you didn't participate in this slimy parsing of the respective quality of each statement's outrage factor.

both women are disgusting and should be blasted - but neither should be fired. it's a slippery slope for free speech.

Free speech only applies to the government silencing speech. Employers can determine what they will tolerate. Same with personal behavior.

In my opinion.

Offended? Not really. Amused at your hysteria? Most definitely.

hysteria wouldn’t have john brennan’s butthole puckered and mullertard predawn raiding attorney’s offices

this is real as it gets

Either should be fired if their corporate decision maker and broadcast rights owner wants to, IMO.

That’s not a slippery slope at all.

Last edited:
Either should be fired if their corporate decision maker and broadcast rights owner wants to, IMO.

That’s not a slippery slope at all.

i don't mean that to say it's a slippery lawyer slope. it's a slippery cultural slope. we shouldn't be the kind of pussies who demand entertainers be fired for saying something we didn't like. disagree?

hysteria wouldn’t have john brennan’s butthole puckered and mullertard predawn raiding attorney’s offices

this is real as it gets
Now that you are (presumably) sober, can you put this into some sort of normal form? I have no idea what this means...

i don't mean that to say it's a slippery lawyer slope. it's a slippery cultural slope. we shouldn't be the kind of pussies who demand entertainers be fired for saying something we didn't like. disagree?

Yeah, kinda.

I view it more as letting the market decide.

If ABC thinks they will lose money if they keep her, they ought to fire her.

Threatened boycotts and market pressure based upon not liking what an entertainer says or does has been used for ages. We haven’t slid down the slope of cultural uniformity or repression to date.

I do agree that for the most part, lots of people could have thicker skin and we would all be better for it. I just dont view it as a slippery slope.

This could lead to an interesting non-political discussion about peoples’ ability to separate the art from the artist and whether that is a good thing or not.

This is so easily resolved. Vote with your eyeballs. I would be shocked if Roseanne isn't picked up by someone for something. Watch her then and show just how righteous your cause is. Otherwise, quit whining about business decisions.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT