ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA Wrestling Championships Thread

We have Sakamoto and Hughes both at 133 who I think Hughes can be an AA next year. I think we need to stick with Travis at 157, he just needs to get a little bigger for the weight. Definitely need 165 and 175. BT is not the answer and I have very little confidence that his ceiling is going to be much higher than what we got this year. Sometimes the ones you think are good just don’t work out and instead of having a project like BT and Doucet we need to just move on and find someone who can give us results.
Word is Hughes is too big for 133

Kasak a true freshmen for PSU at 149 just placed 3rd after getting beat in the first round. They currently have Van ness on RS. Ridiculous depth.
To clarify, van Ness is taking a medical redshirt due to a season-ending injury he sustained back in October. He already used his regular red shirt. No inside info, but I suspect Kasak will RS next season when van Ness is healthy.

Word is Hughes is too big for 133
If Hughes can't go 133 effectively then 133 is another hole in the lineup in addition to 165 and 174. That is a problem. We would have 4 talented guys, Hughes, Jamison, Young, Williams all at 2 weights, 141 or 149. And nobody at 3 weights 133, 165, 174.
Incoming true freshman Sakamoto, who has never wrestled folkstyle, should redshirt next year.
How big is Hughes?

We should see these guys this summer some and will be able to guess weights better. Until then, not sure someone with a redshirt has had a reason to show what their weight will be.

If we cut Thompson loose it would free up a lot of money from what I’ve heard. Hopefully we can at least get a discount now on him.

Reactions: BigDogsGottaEat
looking at the AA 174’s that kid has a long ways to go

hope he figures out his path forward

Reactions: bwel9339
Damn. Needed any kind of offense, couldn’t get anything. Feel so bad for Daton.

Well, Daton loses 133 to a guy who is a world champion, two-time bronze medalist in the Olympics, and defending national champion. Hate it for Daton, but no shame losing to that guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT