ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA Wrestling Championships Thread

I think in five year's time we will look back and wish we had Daton at any weight class. And, I look forward to Plott actually matching Keckeisen's size next season. Notice how easily Keck was able to elevate Plott and Dustin couldn't chest wrap him even once? I am grateful for both of those guy's commitment to our team.

They aren’t going away as long as Sanderson is there. Might as well give them the next 4-5 titles now

Reactions: okcpokefan12
That’s a wrap for this year. Definitely, An improvement over last year but if we don’t hit he transfer portal we will have a hard time moving up. Not sure who is going to catch Penn State in the near future as long as they have the money to cherry pick from both high school and colleges. the current situation is not good for the sport but I don’t think you’ll get Sanderson or their fans to agree with that one.

They aren’t going away as long as Sanderson is there. Might as well give them the next 4-5 titles now

What has made Penn State so dominant? Believe this is their 11th title in 13 years. What are they doing that other programs are not doing?

As far as OSU/Smith, what is he not doing to close the gap, outside of recruiting. Is OSU still considered a place for top wrestlers to come to? Also, if Smith is no longer the right fit, who would be? Is there a coach on staff that would elevate the program into a consistent Top 3 to 5 program, again?

That’s a tough one. I’d go with Keckeisen just because he’s not from Penn State and Plott dominated everyone up until him.

Reactions: bwel9339
Combination of Sanderson and money elevated them, we need a multimillionaire that loves wrestling to help us out and unfortunately that’s not me. It didn’t help that John was late to the payoff game based on his experience taking over after Seay, that is understandable but absolutely put us behind.

That’s a wrap for this year. Definitely, An improvement over last year but if we don’t hit he transfer portal we will have a hard time moving up. Not sure who is going to catch Penn State in the near future as long as they have the money to cherry pick from both high school and colleges. the current situation is not good for the sport but I don’t think you’ll get Sanderson or their fans to agree with that one.
Losing 2 out of 3 AAs (scorers) development is important. question marks at 33 Hugh’s to big, 149 great potential but not yet, 157 Travis or Young? Good competition. 165? 174? 184 were good. 197 hope CC heavyweight? Don’t see much better results if as good.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Combination of Sanderson and money elevated them, we need a multimillionaire that loves wrestling to help us out and unfortunately that’s not me. It didn’t help that John was late to the payoff game based on his experience taking over after Seay, that is understandable but absolutely put us behind.
I don’t think he thought it was here to stay.

Daton and Dustin have been real good but our coaching staff with training and strategy seem to be lacking. After 4 titles in a row we have not won 1 since. We had it going and Coach Smith screwed it up with stubbornness, ego and his unwillingness to work hard in areas where he didn't want to work hard. The result we have been experiencing year after year. Double painful is almost this whole time period we have had to watch Penn. St dominate year after year. Coach Smith was innovative as a wrestler but not as a coach. Sanderson was innovative as a wrestler but even more innovative and hard working as a coach. A painful night.

Daton and Dustin have been real good but our coaching staff with training and strategy seem to be lacking. After 4 titles in a row we have not won 1 since. We had it going and Coach Smith screwed it up with stubbornness, ego and his unwillingness to work hard in areas where he didn't want to work hard. The result we have been experiencing year after year. Double painful is almost this whole time period we have had to watch Penn. St dominate year after year. Coach Smith was innovative as a wrestler but not as a coach. Sanderson was innovative as a wrestler but even more innovative and hard working as a coach. A painful night.

Nail on head!

Not if you don’t shoot and can’t get a TD
Lee was wrestling on 2 bad knees last year. Ramos beat Lee in the semis at nationals then Lee forfeited out of the tournament then Ramos lost to Glory in the finals. I believe Daton would have won last year and this year at 125. Daton wrestles 125 in freestyle - he's really too small for 133, he's just good enough that he can wrestle up at 133 in college and still make the finals.

Plus, all of this occurred around the time when everything was going down with Penn State Football. They were in desperate need of something positive.

Daton's a good cowboy and a good man. I feel bad for him, life can be cruel sometimes, but hopefully he can bounce back and reach some other goals.
Yes and plenty of wrestlers have done well in the Olympics without winning a NCAA title

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT