ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 Schedule

I’ve been watching/listening to wrestling for 35 years. Unfortunately my expectation is to be disappointed. I can’t remember how many times I would turn it on KSPI and listen to music playing while they forgot to switch over to the radio broadcast. Now with wrestling being streamed it is a miracle if the names are correct or if they actually have a riding time clock.

Both committed to oSu. Blankenship is a Senior and Hughes is a Junior.
Thanks. I live out of the state and hard to follow recruiting. Most of my information is from here.

Love your handle - anesthesiologist. Many years ago, I preferred the mac blade.

Thanks. I live out of the state and hard to follow recruiting. Most of my information is from here.

Love your handle - anesthesiologist. Many years ago, I preferred the mac blade.
Follow Seth Duckworth on Twitter. He normally has the most up-to-date wrestling information for oSu as well high school in Oklahoma and Texas.

I'm currently a 2nd year SRNA with anticipated graduation of May 2023. I'm using mostly the Mac blade but from time to time switch over to the Miller (depending on the situation). I'll probably switch over to the Miller full time once I get the majority of my tubes with the Mac.

Watched the replay of Hughes/Blankenship and it was one of the most intense exciting matches I have seen in a long time with Hughes winning on a reverse as time was running out 5-4 Both wrestlers showed outstanding movement and proud to have both going to OK State.

Last edited:
Follow Seth Duckworth on Twitter. He normally has the most up-to-date wrestling information for oSu as well high school in Oklahoma and Texas.

I'm currently a 2nd year SRNA with anticipated graduation of May 2023. I'm using mostly the Mac blade but from time to time switch over to the Miller (depending on the situation). I'll probably switch over to the Miller full time once I get the majority of my tubes with the Mac.
I am not much of a social media person, but read from Seth on Pistols Firing Blog. Thinking about OSU Max, but have not gone there yet. Anyone with thoughts on this site?

I have worked with many talented CRNA's over the years - great profession and more are needed. You should be very marketable.

Reactions: CowboyMedic
Watched the replay of Hughes/Blankenship and it was one of the most intense exciting matches I have seen in a long time with Hughes winning on a reverse as time was running out 6-5. Both wrestlers showed outstanding movement and proud to have both going to OK State.

Both will knockoff the rust (Hughes coming back from injury and Blankenship coming from football) and improve as the season goes. The rematch should be another high level barn burner!

Reactions: oberebo
Number 1 interest in the Southern Scuffle will be seeing how are likely future 149 does this weekend ( Travis Mastrogiavanni and Victor Voinovich. Hopefully they both shine.
Mastro isn't showing on FloArena. Neither is Hone. Several guys from different teams are missing from the original list.

Mastro isn't showing on FloArena. Neither is Hone. Several guys from different teams are missing from the original list.
Wrassler, I just looked on flo brackets and sure enough Travis Mastro isn't in the bracket. Disappointing especially because Mastro really hasn't wrestled any real competition in over a year. Also even in the end I was hoping to see Haas at 184 brackets but of course he isn't. Well I am a Bison fan and so I can watch their wrestlers also.

Wrassler, I just looked on flo brackets and sure enough Travis Mastro isn't in the bracket. Disappointing especially because Mastro really hasn't wrestled any real competition in over a year. Also even in the end I was hoping to see Haas at 184 brackets but of course he isn't. Well I am a Bison fan and so I can watch their wrestlers also.
John said Haas missed the Scuffle because he's coming back from an injury. Mastro & McLane got sick at the last minute (sounded like the flu, not covid).

Not really sure where to put this but it looks like Gabe Tagg is transferring to South Dakota State. That could be a big get for them if he develops. He’s a talented wrestler.

I will agree that this year’s schedule is the worst I can remember.not much to get excited for.how can we not get any bigger names on the schedule? Tough to sell season tickets or compete with the big 3 when your regular season schedule is irrelevant.
I know John usually schedules tough but we need to be wrestling nc state and asu home and home every year

I agree regarding our schedule. Scheduling Iowa in Dallas was dumb. We are just starting to build up our attendance for big duals in Stillwater and we schedule the biggest dual of the year four hours south ? Bad judgment on someone's part. We should also schedule as many Big 10 teams as are willing to do a home/home with us. Make ourselves a de facto member of that conference. No reason for us to be messing around with UALR, Columbia, Drexel, etc. if there are Big 10 teams willing to wrestle us.

I agree regarding our schedule. Scheduling Iowa in Dallas was dumb. We are just starting to build up our attendance for big duals in Stillwater and we schedule the biggest dual of the year four hours south ? Bad judgment on someone's part. We should also schedule as many Big 10 teams as are willing to do a home/home with us. Make ourselves a de facto member of that conference. No reason for us to be messing around with UALR, Columbia, Drexel, etc. if there are Big 10 teams willing to wrestle us.
Are you sure that Big 10 teams want to do a home and home with us? I give Minnesota and Iowa their due but I’ve heard that we have asked several schools about this and they are not interested.

Are you sure that Big 10 teams want to do a home and home with us? I give Minnesota and Iowa their due but I’ve heard that we have asked several schools about this and they are not interested.
This is what I've heard too. But maybe from this board so I might just be parroting the same information.

I think the Dallas dual might be bad for selling season tickets, but it'll be a huge publicity opportunity for the program as a whole. Wrestling fans and future recruits worldwide will know about the dual. Now let's just win it so we look even better!

John said he's heard the complaints about the schedule and they will do better in the future. Also said it's difficult to schedule non conference opponents because of a commitment to wrestle Big12 foes. He has tried to set up a home/home with PSU, but Cael doesn't want to do it.

John said he's heard the complaints about the schedule and they will do better in the future. Also said it's difficult to schedule non conference opponents because of a commitment to wrestle Big12 foes. He has tried to set up a home/home with PSU, but Cael doesn't want to do it.
John is not afraid of competition. Look at the Big Ten, the top teams don’t even wrestle each other during the season. Any of these teams that sit top competitors during conference duals aren’t going to schedule Oklahoma State.

I say have a 8 team/2 day tournament like the cowboy challenge annually. Get all of the former Cowboys that are coaching to bring their teams and you’ve got a pretty good tourney.
Oklahoma State
Wyoming
NC State
UNC
Army
UALR
Oregon State
Duke
I agree. I would totally go to this.

Have it right after Christmas so it doesn’t conflict with HS wrestling. Call it the Hall of Fame Cowboy Classic. Bring the teams in and see if Lee Roy can put together something with the HOF so the student athletes can visit and see where it all started. Top 3 teams get an awesome trophy, I’d make the trophy of the HOF logo wrestlers.

Geary tournament style and have blind draws. True 2nd if they want. Nobody needs to argue seeds, let’s just get out and wrestle. Seeding meetings just piss people off.

First day(Friday) session 1- quarters and one round consolation on 3 mats. Session 2- semifinals in evening on 2 mats. Second day(Saturday) session 3- all consolation starting early in the morning 9:00. Session 4- early afternoon 3rd place matches and Finals. True 2nd on both mats following.

Name weight classes/brackets after Cowboy greats. If that wrestler is still alive they can present the medals. If not a family member can.

Bring back as many Cowboy wrestlers as possible for a celebration of past champions prior to the finals beginning.

Last edited:
Have it right after Christmas so it doesn’t conflict with HS wrestling. Call it the Hall of Fame Cowboy Classic. Bring the teams in and see if Lee Roy can put together something with the HOF so the student athletes can visit and see where it all started. Top 3 teams get an awesome trophy, I’d make the trophy of the HOF logo wrestlers.

Geary tournament style and have blind draws. True 2nd if they want. Nobody needs to argue seeds, let’s just get out and wrestle. Seeding meetings just piss people off.

First day(Friday) session 1- quarters and one round consolation on 3 mats. Session 2- semifinals in evening on 2 mats. Second day(Saturday) session 3- all consolation starting early in the morning 9:00. Session 4- early afternoon 3rd place matches and Finals. True 2nd on both mats following.

Name weight classes/brackets after Cowboy greats. If that wrestler is still alive they can present the medals. If not a family member can.

Bring back as many Cowboy wrestlers as possible for a celebration of past champions prior to the finals beginning.
This would be cool! Honor the legacy and also showcase the legacies-in-the-making of John's coaching alums. I think too often we make a big deal out of OSU's retired stars while ignoring the incredible work that current coaches (former OSU wrestlers) are doing. Bold move to remove the seeds in the tournament but I like it!

Looks like Columbia will not be on ESPN+ :( but audio on KSPI. For those out of the area that don't know, there is an app for that.

Could have sworn the announced it would be on ESPN + yesterday.
Was reported on the other thread (after mine above) that O'Colly reporter said yesterday video on Espn+ but still haven't seen anything the + schedule, hoping it pops up there.

Haas (197) & Mechler (157) registered. No Voinovich, Mastro, Travis, Skidgel or Boone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT