ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 Schedule

That should be a great neutral venue. There are a lot of Iowa grads in DFW, just like Oklahoma State.

That should be a great neutral venue. There are a lot of Iowa grads in DFW, just like Oklahoma State.
Might have to try and make this one. Given the age of the Iowa wrestlers, wonder if they'll make this an official old guy event and senior citizens get in free? :)

Reactions: oberebo
I agree Ionel but only for us 80 or over. I have never had a problem with John's coaching ability but only his refusal to post schedules and ROSTERS in a timely manner. I simply do not understand why there is no official Roster out. Wrestlestats shows one but do not know if they know anything. It is updated enough to show Carter Young but shows 11 redshirts including Young, Birdwell, Nicholas, Travis Mastrogiovanni, Voinovixch, Mechler, Carman, Haas, Long. I am also going to complain about who is going to the Southern Scuffle early, as in the past John waits until the last minute to post this and those of us who go are left wondering if he will send starters etc. I can not see an advantage in not posting your commits, Roster and schedule early but it is what it is. In any event the schedule is difficult but should see a lot of good wrestling.

I agree Ionel but only for us 80 or over. I have never had a problem with John's coaching ability but only his refusal to post schedules and ROSTERS in a timely manner. I simply do not understand why there is no official Roster out. Wrestlestats shows one but do not know if they know anything. It is updated enough to show Carter Young but shows 11 redshirts including Young, Birdwell, Nicholas, Travis Mastrogiovanni, Voinovixch, Mechler, Carman, Haas, Long. I am also going to complain about who is going to the Southern Scuffle early, as in the past John waits until the last minute to post this and those of us who go are left wondering if he will send starters etc. I can not see an advantage in not posting your commits, Roster and schedule early but it is what it is. In any event the schedule is difficult but should see a lot of good wrestling.
Obe, Trackwrestling has the most up to date roster. It's not the friendliest site, but here's how you navigate to it...

- click "OPC" from the top menu
- click "2021-22 College Men"
- choose "NCAA" from the drop down list box & then hit "Login"
- click "Season Menu" at the top, then click "Teams"
- scroll and click "Oklahoma State, OK"
- click "Pages" then "Roster"

It will show everyone rostered and what weight they made if they've certified. For example, Daton's says 141, so he weighed btw 133.1 - 141.

Well your just an 80+ year old grumpy man and John isn't even 60 correct, so why should he listen to you? Grump!
:)

Track is showing we're at the Little Rock Open on 11/6. Hopefully we see some of the new guys in action.

Reactions: turfpoke
Is there any word out of the room on the new guys? Hopefully some studs that are adapting well and ready to bring home a title.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Track is showing we're at the Little Rock Open on 11/6. Hopefully we see some of the new guys in action.
I use to go yearly to the open in Missouri in November. I would get to see the whole squad including top recruits. I did not get to see the nonblue chip recruits because they would wrestle in a different part of the gym in a freshmen division.

I use to go yearly to the open in Missouri in November. I would get to see the whole squad including top recruits. I did not get to see the nonblue chip recruits because they would wrestle in a different part of the gym in a freshmen division.
FYI, the Lindenwood Open is on 11/20 and will be streamed on Rokfin this year. The starters will be in Minny, but the reserves/recruits might go.

Reactions: JAY45
John mentioned at media day that Young & Voinovich have looked good so far. Daton, Geer & Wittlake also interviewed.

In listening to these interviews it surprises me that Travis Mastro is not in the running for 141 since he wrestled much heavier guys who were highly rated previous years. I liked hearing that Dakota thinks a lot of Kyle Haas at 184 for the future. Young had to jump a level from junior to senior trials. I watched Carter in the finals of juniors against Mendez and Carter did get horsed a couple times by Mendez. He got soundly beat in that match. Several months later he beat these superstar post graduates at senior nationals. Carter Young said he needed to lift weight, get stronger and bigger. I saw this concern after the Mendes match but he wasn't out horsed at senior nationals. All interviews expressed positive feelings about Voinovich. College wrestling is close!

Last edited:
In listening to these interviews it surprises me that Travis Mastro is not in the running for 141 since he wrestled much heavier guys who were highly rated previous years. I liked hearing that Dakota thinks a lot of Kyle Haas at 184 for the future. Young had to jump a level from junior to senior trials. I watched Carter in the finals of juniors against Mendez and Carter did get horsed a couple times by Mendez. He got soundly beat in that match. Several months later he beat these superstar post graduates at senior nationals several months later. Carter Young said he needed to lift weight, get stronger and bigger. I saw this concern after the Mendes match but he wasn't out horsed at senior nationals. All interviews expressed positive feelings about Voinovich. College wrestling is close!
I was surprised Mastro wasn't mentioned too. The other interesting thing was G possibly at 141. Figured he would go 149.

141 is the best weight for G to make noise nationally. Now I don’t know if he has the mindset, attitude and work ethic to make that cut consistently.

141 is the best weight for G to make noise nationally. Now I don’t know if he has the mindset, attitude and work ethic to make that cut consistently.
Honestly, I’m surprised he got mentioned at all. In fact, I find it encouraging considering his past problems. Pretty much, I had him written off.

It sure sounds like Voinovich is the guy at 149. Geer saying that Haas is going to cause problems was nice to hear. Carter young has to be at a high level considering who he just beat in freestyle. We need to continue to have guys that come in championship ready their freshman year.

Reactions: osu2082 and JAY45
It sure sounds like Voinovich is the guy at 149. Geer saying that Haas is going to cause problems was nice to hear. Carter young has to be at a high level considering who he just beat in freestyle. We need to continue to have guys that come in championship ready their freshman year.
Didn't go back to re listen but recollection is both John and Geer mentioned Voinovich on their own they but were asked about Young, that might say something about what to expect early for 149.

Didn't go back to re listen but recollection is both John and Geer mentioned Voinovich on their own they but were asked about Young, that might say something about what to expect early for 149.
Think John volunteered Young without any prompting.

Regardless, I think it's nuts to expect anyone in the room to beat that kid.

Think John volunteered Young without any prompting.

Regardless, I think it's nuts to expect anyone in the room to beat that kid.
Went back and listened to first part. John was asked about Fr that might make an impact (so guess was promoted for both) and mentioned 141 and 149. Talked about Young but mentioned 3 guys at that weight, believe only mentioned V at 149.

Reactions: 100TonsofOrangeFury
Went back and listened to first part. John was asked about Fr that might make an impact (so guess was promoted for both) and mentioned 141 and 149. Talked about Young but mentioned 3 guys at that weight, believe only mentioned V at 149.
I found it strange that no one including John mentioned Plott. Is he really fully recovered from surgery? If he is pain and injury free I believe he would be the one to make the biggest leap this year. 149 will be the most competitive weight in the room in my opinion. We will see how Young makes the transition to folk style. He is going to be great but I believe the seasoned wrestlers at that weight will make it tough on him at the start.

Reactions: tom_v31
I found it strange that no one including John mentioned Plott. Is he really fully recovered from surgery?
Roger Moore has a good team preview article on Flo. John is quoted as saying Plott is healthy. Plott also told Willie Saylor that his shoulder feels great.

Reactions: oberebo
I found it strange that no one including John mentioned Plott. Is he really fully recovered from surgery? If he is pain and injury free I believe he would be the one to make the biggest leap this year. 149 will be the most competitive weight in the room in my opinion. We will see how Young makes the transition to folk style. He is going to be great but I believe the seasoned wrestlers at that weight will make it tough on him at the start.
Nice point

How is Missouri ranked higher than OSU? As far as I can remember, OSU placed 3rd nationally last year, better than Missouri, and is returning almost their entire team.

How is Missouri ranked higher than OSU? As far as I can remember, OSU placed 3rd nationally last year, better than Missouri, and is returning almost their entire team.
Its prob dual ranking, they do match up very well with current projected starters

I'd expect that may change by time of dual meet but mizzu is a solid lineup this year.

Last edited:
Its prob dual ranking, they do match up very well with current projected starters

I'd expect that may change by time of dual meet but mizzu is a solid lineup this year.
They had Rocky Elam beating AJ Ferrari?! 😆😆😆😆
didn’t he kick the crap out of him last year in freestyle? Isn’t AJ the returning NCAA champ?👎🏻💩

OU is listed for the Little Rock Open. Maybe we see Haas vs Picklo or Boone/Mechler vs Herrara-Rondon?

Anyone heard for sure if the cowboys are still going?
Pretty sure John said non starters. Betting if he has two guys in play at wt for Stanford and Minny then neither goes to Little Rock. I'm guessing weights where multiple applies would be 125, 141, 149 maybe 285.

Another tourney popped up on Track, the Viking Open on 11/13. Pokes, OU, UCO & NEO are some of the teams listed. Starters will be at Stanford, but we could see some of the reserves.

Reactions: Harleycowboy
There's a 102 guys registered for the Little Rock Open, but no Pokes unfortunately. We're also no longer listed as a participating team. Either we're entering late or there was a change in plans.

List or link?
It's on Trackwrestling, but links to that site don't work very well.

Some of the new guys listed are Mastro, Voinovich, Travis, Boone, Mechler & Haas.

Young & Surber are not currently registered.

It's on Trackwrestling, but links to that site don't work very well.

Some of the new guys listed are Mastro, Voinovich, Travis, Boone, Mechler & Haas.

Young & Surber are not currently registered.
It’s likely everyone not going to Stanford, no?

It’s likely everyone not going to Stanford, no?
Seems to be the case.

And if there are any Stanford lurkers out there, remember our coaches can always pull someone's registration and have them wrestle in the dual. Better keep watching film and prepare for the entire roster just to be safe!

Last edited:
Reactions: JAY45
Seems to be the case.

And if there are any Stanford lurkers out there, remember our coaches can always pull someone's registration and have them wrestle in the dual. Better keep watching film and prepare for the entire roster just to be safe!
a few seem to be listed up a weight-or even two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT