ADVERTISEMENT

2019 WTT

Daton won the 3rd match 6 to 3. Fantastic. Mark Perry was obviously wrong. Daton is going to the World Championships.
In the last match Gilman was ahead of Fix 3-3 on criteria with a minute to go and inexplicably he shot on Fix which was his downfall all night as Fix turned at least 4 of Gilman's shots into take downs of his own. Fix is a superior scrambler and better on top then Gilman. The announcers during the matches said that both Tyler Graff and Joe Colon going down to 57 kg next year for the Olympics. I think Fix can beat them both. BTW Graff beat Colon 2 out of three. Snyder won both matches agains Gadsen and Jordan Burroughs won the 3rd match against Imar. Congrats to all the winners and in particular to Daton who looked outstanding.

congrats daton

i can’t wait to watch this!!!

imar beat JB one match?

wow

Hard to oversell how special Fix is. How many have made the world team before their sophomore year of college? Can’t be a long list.

Reactions: osu2082
I can’t wait to see the match. Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth from the Iowa folks about the last take down.

Hard to oversell how special Fix is. How many have made the world team before their sophomore year of college? Can’t be a long list.

The Kyle Snyder path is still in play - lose in the NCAA finals as a freshman, then beat the returning World Team member (Varner) before winning gold.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I can’t wait to see the match. Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth from the Iowa folks about the last take down.

I didn’t really see the controversy. Daton has his hands locked around his waist, on top and in control. Called 2 and after video review confirmed 2. Daton is the better wrestler and that growing gap will continue to do just that.

Gilmans style of pressure, ties and bullying is becoming less effective and he will need to become more offensive if he wants to continue to compete for world teams.

Reactions: Rdcldad
Gilmans style of pressure, ties and bullying is becoming less effective and he will need to become more offensive if he wants to continue to compete for world teams.

it’s called the darian caldwell effect

Last takedown was reviewed and called a takedown by the officials. It definitely looked like a takedown to me. Fix was all the way around him and on top. Gilman still had one leg but Fix definitely had control. Gnash their teeth all they want but it was legit. Daton may not have won the match without the shot from Gilman which was really unexplainable to me. Not calling him stupid but by just stalling the last minute he might have won the match.

Every school has some bad sports, jerks. However Iowa always has more than their share. They seem to like the bad boy image in Iowa City.

Rob Koll sent a newsletter out to Cornell fans and wrote that the Alex / Dake wrestle-off is set for 8/17. I was under the impression the date was still being negotiated. If he's correct, that would place it about 1 month prior to Worlds.

Rob Koll sent a newsletter out to Cornell fans and wrote that the Alex / Dake wrestle-off is set for 8/17. I was under the impression the date was still being negotiated. If he's correct, that would place it about 1 month prior to Worlds.

I don't know enough about international wrestling so I probably look dumb but this all seems insane to me and completely and utterly unfair to Alex.

I don't know enough about international wrestling so I probably look dumb but this all seems insane to me and completely and utterly unfair to Alex.

I think the idea of a delayed wrestle-off for an injured returning medalist makes sense, but USA Wrestling needs some hard dates on the rule.

Like say a deadline of 6 or 8 weeks before Worlds. That way you don't have to be concerned about cutting weight twice so close to the Championships. Also allows you to prepare for international guys rather than just your domestic opponent.

allowing an injured wrestler to use his injury to an advantage needs process correction
I would agree. I have the upmost respect for dake in what he has done but this seems like ultimate gamesmanship which is poor character. If you can't make this happen in July (allowing for proper distance between then and worlds) then take your losses (like your buddy taylor) and forfeit until next year.

How does Alex handle the weight? I'm assuming he is fine but that is a long time to hold weight if it is a struggle at all.

How does Alex handle the weight? I'm assuming he is fine but that is a long time to hold weight if it is a struggle at all.

It’s a cut for him but not terrible (at least that is what you hear). I think the big issue is losing a bit of momentum and confidence. AD was and has been on a massive tear and has looked unstoppable. The longer he has to wait on this match the better it is for Dake.

Apparently Dake might be wrestling in Spain this weekend. That’s something.

If I remember correctly Dake was the biggest complainer about the qualifying system and how much it benefited guys like Burroughs. JB never got an advantage like Dake is milking this for.

FRL is a pretty good listen today. They roast Dake pretty bad over this. They brought up a good point that this will probably lead to USA wrestling changing the rule. Dake probably just killed what, in theory, is a pretty solid rule to help protect returning medalists.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
FRL is a pretty good listen today. They roast Dake pretty bad over this. They brought up a good point that this will probably lead to USA wrestling changing the rule. Dake probably just killed what, in theory, is a pretty solid rule to help protect returning medalists.
I think the rule ought to be changed but I personally do not think this is an injustice to Alex. I believe the rule should allow for maybe a 1-2 week delay due to injury but after that it should be decided the healthy wrestler is the entrant. The Grand prix of Spain is this weekend so we shall see how healthy he is. Alex got to wrestle recently and I would not want to deny Dake a warm up match or two. I want Dake healthy for the match with Alex and then I want to win it. Waiting until middle of August does not seem unfair to me to either wrestler. Alex is wrestling his best right now so if he is ever going to beat Dake now or in a month is the time. Our fans would want the same for Alex in a similar situation. BTW the Freestyle portion of the tournament is Sunday 6/7 but starts 10AM in Spain which I believe would be 3AM in the Central time zone. The second session starts at 4PM which would be 9AM central.

Last edited:
I think the rule ought to be changed but I personally do not think this is an injustice to Alex. I believe the rule should allow for maybe a 1-2 week delay due to injury but after that it should be decided the healthy wrestler is the entrant. The Grand prix of Spain is this weekend so we shall see how healthy he is. Alex got to wrestle recently and I would not want to deny Dake a warm up match or two. I want Dake healthy for the match with Alex and then I want to win it. Waiting until middle of August does not seem unfair to me to either wrestler. Alex is wrestling his best right now so if he is ever going to beat Dake now or in a month is the time. Our fans would want the same for Alex in a similar situation.

Dake already gets a massive, massive advantage by even being allowed to get an injury delay. Now he is obviously just gaming the system.

It is unfair to me that Alex has to continue to focus on Dake instead of the World Championships. The rest of his teammates will have been prepping for Worlds for a solid two months before Alex even knows if he is the guy. Dake got to delay the match because he is injured. He obviously isn't that injured because he is wrestling this weekend. If Dake can wrestle this weekend why is he still making Alex wait another month and a half to wrestle him? What if he reinjuries himself in Spain? Are we going to push it back even further to make sure Dake is 110%?

It is crazy that Dake is not medically cleared to wrestle Alex until Aug. 17 but is competing this weekend in an international event.

Alex is the 4 seed and wrestles Abakarov of Azerbaijan first round, he was a cadet world champ and junior runner up last year to Mekhi Lewis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT