ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Southern Scuffler 1/1 & 1/2/16

oberebo

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2005
Shawnee,OK
The principal perk of retirement is too much time on your hands and thus I give you a book on the Southern Scuffle.
The teams entered are: Air Force, Appalachian State, Cal Poly, Campbell, Grand Canyon, Central Michigan,Chattanooga, The Citadel, Cleveland State, Cornell, Drexel,
Duke, Edinboro, Gardener-Webb. Lehigh, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Navy, North Carolina,
Northern Colorado, Oklahoma State, Penn, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Stanford, Utah Valley,Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming.

The following are ranked wrestlers at each weight Flo rankings as of12/15)

#4 Nico Megaludis Penn State
#5 Eddie Klimara OK State
#11 Zeke Moisey W.Va.
#13 Chase Tolbert Utah Valley
#16 Darian Cruz Lehigh
#18 Connor Youtsey Michigan
#19 Dalton Macri Cofrnell
#20 Connor Schram Stanford

#1 Nashon Garrett Cornell
#4 George Dicamillo Virginia
#9 Jordan Conway Penn State
#11 Kaid Brock OK State
#14 Rossi Bruno Michigan
#17 Josh Martinez Air Force
#18 Mason Beckman Lehigh

#1 Dean Heil OK State
#5 Joey McKenna Stanford
#6 Evan Henderson North Carolina
#7 Jimmy Gulibon Penn State
#10 Mike Raccioto Pitt
#12 Bryce Meredith Wyoming
#14 Brandon Cruz Lehigh
#15 Zach Horan Central Michigan
#16 Tommy Thorn Minnesota
#20 Javier Gasca Michigan State

#1 Zain Retherford Penn State
#9 Anthony Collica OK State
#8 Collin Heffernan Central Michigan
#11 Jake Short Minnesota
#12 Alex Panteleo Michigan
#16 Luke Gardner Lehigh

#3 Jason Nolf Penn State
$5 Brian Murphy Michigan
#8 Luke Smith Chattanooga
#10 Dylan Cottrell West Virginia
#13 Mitch Minotti Lehigh
#17 Russell Parsons Army
#19 Andrew Atkinson Virginia

#1 Alex Dierenger OK State
#5 Ethan Ramos North Carolina
#7 Jim Wilson Stanford
#8 Jake Faust Duke
#17 Ryan Preisch Lehigh
#18 George Pickett Cornell
#19 Austin Trott Gardner-Webb
#20 Shakur Rasheed Penn State

#1 Kyle Crutchmer OK State
#2 Bryan Realbuto Cornell
#6 Bo Nickal Penn State
#9 Mike Ottinger Central Michigan
#18 Brian Harvey Army
#14 Jadean Bernstein Navy
#16 Ben Stroh Wyoming
#19 Nick Wanzek Minnesota

#1 Gabe Dean Cornell
#4 Nathaniel Brown Lehigh
#10 Dominic Abounader Michigan
#12 Matt McCutcheon Penn State
#16 Nolan Boyd OK State
#19 Alex Utley North Carolina

#1 Morgan McIntosh Penn State
#5 Brett Pfarr Minnesota
#6 Max Huntley Michigan
#8 Jake Smith West Virginia
#13 Zack Nye Virginia
#16 John Bolich Lehigh
#19 Scottie Boykin Chattanooga
#20 Derek Thomas Utah Valley

#3 Adam Coon Michigan
#4 Austin Marsden OK State
#6 Michael Kroells Minnesota
#7 RileyShaw Cleveland State
#9 Denzel Dejournette Appalachian State
#10 Ryan Solomon
#12 Max Wessell Lehigh
#15 Nathan Butler Stanford
#16 Jered Johnson Chattanooga

WHEW!!!

Last edited:
Much appreciated
Not one Cowboy listed at 157 but we could have 2 finish in the top 5.
Chandler will make waves as well. Maybe Picinnini?
Weigel and Collica should be healthy and a factor by then.
How many extras do we get to bring? 5?

Cornell and Minnesota way down from previous years.

5 extras yes, but they have allowed up to 18 with some teams in years past.

Last edited:
Actually, this tourney is great for solidifying projections. We are going to learn a lot at 133, 184, and 157, in that order. It will be interesting to see how Colica is doing and fun to see what Smith can do.

But I am way more interested in seeing more than 42 seconds at 133 and seeing if Chance can hold his weight for two days. If Chance doesn't make a showing, its going to be hard to believe he will in March. It would also be nice to see if Boyd can avoid the goofy situations.

Comparing CK to Scuffle
125 - CK wins pretty easily. 10 of top 13 to 4 of top 13 for Scuffle
133 - CK wins again. 9 of the top 17 to 5 of top 18
141 - Scuffle wins easily. 10 of the top 20 to 5 of top 17
149 - Scuffle wins with 5 of the top 12 and 6 of the top 16.
157 - Scuffle wins with 6 of top 20 to 4 for CK
165 - Scuffle wins with 7 of top 20 to 6 and 4 of the top 10.
174 - Scuffle wins with the top heavy. Both have 7 of the top 20 but Scuffle with 4 of top 10
184 - CK wins with 7 of top 20 to 6 for Scuffle (Push)
197 - Scuffle wins with 8 of top 20 to 7 for CK (Could call it a push I guess)
HWT - Scuffle wins - No comparison with scuffle winning easily

If 5 then Id like to see Smith, Blaylock, C Rogers, J Rogers and Weigel Would be nice to see Nic P. also.
Smith and Picc can't be part of the 5. Each team can send 15 possible scorers. Only one can score per weight. If there are two from the same team at a weight the higher scorer is counted, scorers don't have to be picked ahead of time. After the 15 others can go unattached on their own dime, not sure if that number is limited.

IMO, the best scoring chances would be to go with all the starters plus Picc, Smith, both Rogers and Marsden. For one, to see how Smith does, whoever scores more points here gets the starting position for the rest of the year. Picc can score points, plus it will get him some matches with some ranked opponents. Both Rogers cause hey, they are bonus point machines and they need some good competition, plus it will give Jordan some confidence, which I think he needs. I say Marsden because I think he is way better than most think, he's dropped some matches, but who hasn't. He is sliding under the radar on a lot of polls and I think he could go far, plus it would determine if he goes at 197 next year and send Schafer possibly up to HWT. We have Andersen coming in at HWT next year, but it would be better to redshirt him. Or to switch out the extra five you could send Blaylock, Weigel or T. Moran as well, they are all quality.

Last edited:
Ok, update on my last post, just realized that for wrestlers to be part of the score, they can't be in redshirt......duh(also should have read April's post). So with that, still send Picc, Smith and Marsden, but put both Rogers, Blaylock, Weigel and Blees(if he's not hurt), Magaldo, or Hone. Hone is looking good this year.

Looks like the list above is about 5 short for teams; here are the team participants according to the team schedules:

http://www.wrestlestats.com/schedule/tournamentparticipants?eventId=4463

And the individual participants (only lists the starter at each weight, for each school):

http://www.wrestlestats.com/schedule/individualparticipants?eventId=4463
I printed off the teams from the web site but failed to see page one which included the five teams you show to have been left off and they include Air Force, Appalachian State, Cal Poly, Campbell and Grand Canyon. I apologize to these teams for the omission. I will update the weight classes with wrestlers from these schools in my next post. Flying Tiger I had noted Jordan Conway in my notes but then failed to add him when I typed it up. I think in my enthusiasm to type Kaid Brock's name I inadvertently skipped Jordan-it was not intentional.

Reactions: andegre
Ok, update on my last post, just realized that for wrestlers to be part of the score, they can't be in redshirt......duh(also should have read April's post). So with that, still send Picc, Smith and Marsden, but put both Rogers, Blaylock, Weigel and Blees(if he's not hurt), Magaldo, or Hone. Hone is looking good this year.
I have now gone back and added Jordan Conway. I also added ranked wrestlers from the first five schools on the list I inadvertently omitted and there were five additions.

Reactions: andegre
Great entertainment for wrestling fans. Never to early to start think about national championship implications. Marsden has the opportunity to take an important step to get on the other side of the bracket from Gwiazdowski if he can win this tournament.

Great entertainment for wrestling fans. Never to early to start think about national championship implications. Marsden has the opportunity to take an important step to get on the other side of the bracket from Gwiazdowski if he can win this tournament.
When I updated my list entrants I checked the tournament rankings of teams on flo.
1. OK State 2.Penn State 5.Cornell,11 Michigan, 14 Minnesota,15. Lehigh*,17. North Carolina,19. Duke,20.Stanford.
* Lehigh has ranked wrestlers at 9 of the 10 weights. They are not ranked at 174 and their highest ranked wrestler is Nathaniel Brown at 197 ranked 4th. They have no other wrestler ranked in the top 10. The teams and wrestlers on my original post have all now been updated. BTW I agree with whoever posted about 141 being the toughest weight class as 10 wrestlers in that weight are ranked in the top twenty. I disagree about 157 however as only three in the top ten but if you add Marsteller and Rogers who are unranked it gets tougher.

Why would I add Rogers to 157? Did you mean Smith? Of course. This will be our first SS. Is this a sit wherever there is an open seat event like Lindenwood? Sorry for the rookie questions. We haven't purchased tickets yet. Does it sell out or should I buy online before?

I printed off the teams from the web site but failed to see page one which included the five teams you show to have been left off and they include Air Force, Appalachian State, Cal Poly, Campbell and Grand Canyon. I apologize to these teams for the omission. I will update the weight classes with wrestlers from these schools in my next post. Flying Tiger I had noted Jordan Conway in my notes but then failed to add him when I typed it up. I think in my enthusiasm to type Kaid Brock's name I inadvertently skipped Jordan-it was not intentional.

You know, I thought that might of been the case when I was looking at it, lol. Hey I don't blame you for getting excited, I'd be to if PSU had a true freshman make a first start like that.

You know, I thought that might of been the case when I was looking at it, lol. Hey I don't blame you for getting excited, I'd be to if PSU had a true freshman make a first start like that.
Track wrestling is not releasing the names of individual wrestles as of yet but OK State is shown to have 19 entrants.

Track wrestling is not releasing the names of individual wrestles as of yet but OK State is shown to have 19 entrants.
Time to take some guesses at who the 19 are. I thnk the 4 non scorers will be Moran, Smith Nick P and Olsen. I could see Marsden instead of Olsen.
Scorers that I expect to see:
Klimara
Brock
Heil
CM
AD
C Rogers
K Crutchmer
Boyd
Schafer
Marsden

If Collica is healthy then he will be there, if not I would guess it would be Blaylock. I could see Blaylock going even if Collica goes.
Other 4 I could see going are J Rogers, Weigel, Bean and Blees , B Crutchmer or D Moran.

I agree either collocation or nonce will be scorers at 149. With two at 149 AND 174 my guess for other 7 would be smith, nick p, marsden, t moran, weigel, j rogers, blees

You get to take15 possible scorers, if 2 at the same weight higher scorer counts. You don't have to name scorers ahead of time.

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga again welcomes some of the top talent in all of collegiate wrestling to the upcoming 2016 Defense Soap and Flips Wrestling Southern Scuffle. What will once again be the top in-season tournament in the nation, the Scuffle takes place Jan. 1-2 at the McKenzie Arena in Chattanooga.

Depending on which preseason poll you follow, there are up to nine teams participating who are in the top-25, highlighted by No. 1 Oklahoma State, No. 2 Penn State and No. 3 Michigan in the NWCA listings.

Other top ten teams making the annual trip to the Scenic City are Lehigh (7), Cornell (8) and North Carolina (10). Minnesota (17), West Virginia (21), Edinboro (24) and Stanford (24) are other attendees who are also ranked in at least one preseason poll.

"I am really very proud of what the Southern Scuffle has become during its short time in Chattanooga," stated head coach Heath Eslinger. "We have put a lot of work into it and our administration and local wrestling community are committed to making this a premier event each year.

"However, it is the commitment from these top teams from around the country to keep coming back that make it such a great event. The competition is second only to the NCAAs and you are going to again see a lot of high-quality wrestling."

Two national champions and 28 All-Americans are in the 2016 field. All totaled, there are 85 wrestlers who were ranked in their class in the preseason who are schedule to compete.

Why do I feel that everyone is underestimating Collica? I know he is coming back from and injury, but something tells me he will kick butt in March.

Why do I feel that everyone is underestimating Collica? I know he is coming back from and injury, but something tells me he will kick butt in March.

I feel this way also, but I feel he has been underestimated for a long time. He did what he had to wrestle last year and go up to 157, and that's just not his weight. I really hope he does go far in March.

I agree in that ACollica has a very high ceiling but he has not helped himself this year as injuries and no significant wins have caused people to underestimate him.

I certainly hope he is 100% this weekend and begins to set the tone for the remainder of the year.

125 Review per D1 recruiting
1. Nico Megaludis- Penn State (3)
2. Zeke Moisey- West Virginia (34)
3. Eddie Klimara- Oklahoma State (34)
4. Darian Cruz- Lehigh (46)
5. Drew Templeman- Wyoming (NR)
6. Connor Schram- Stanford (NR)
7. Sean Russell- Edinboro (39)
8. Joseph Martinez- Virginia (NR)
9. Dalton Macri- Cornell (42)
10. Brent Fleetwood- Central Michigan (64)
UR Austin Assad (56)

Not much separation in recruiting ranking at this weight other than Nico. I think the top three have the resume to put them in the semi's. The upset will come through the 4-5 hole. I am going with Assad to be seeded 12th and upsetting his was to the semi's where he loses to Nico.

133 Review per D1 recruiting
1. Nahshon Garrett- Cornell (66)
2. Jordan Conaway- Penn State (109)
3. George DiCamillo- Virginia (17)
4. Kaid Brock- Oklahoma State (9)
5. Josh Martinez- Air Force (122)
6. David Pearce- Drexel (NR)
7. Caleb Richardson- Penn (121)
8. Nathan Kraisser- Campbell (63)
9. Sam Brancale- Minnesota (74)
10. Keegan Moore- West Virginia (23)
NR Jered Cortez (12)

If these seeds hold I look for Conaway to be the big upset probably losing in the quarters and possibly to his team mate Jered. I look for Nahshon and George to make the semi's. Kaid has the talent for sure but I could see an upset in this tough environment. I am going to say he makes it with the other semi-finalist coming through Jordan's path.

141 Review
1. Dean Heil- Oklahoma State (13)
2. Jimmy Gulibon- Penn State (3)
3. Joey McKenna- Stanford (8)
4. Tommy Thorn- Minnesota (29)
5. Bryce Meredith- Wyoming (NR)
6. Randy Cruz- Lehigh (25)
7. Zach Horan- Central Michigan (19)
8. Kevin Devoy- Drexel (NR)
9. Kade Moss- Penn State (140)
10. Javier Gasca- Michigan State (64)
NR Jared Prince (22)
NR Sam Krivus (24)

Wow! 3 Top 15 wrestlers coming out of high school lead the way with another 5 top 30 filling out the field. Could those 8 meet in the quarters? Well they probably won't if these seedings hold. This bracket will be one to watch. I think Dean and Jimmy's pedigree and experience power them to the semi's along with McKenna. Who makes the last spot? I have no clue but wouldn't be surprised to see either Jared or Sam.

149 Review
1. Zain Retherford- Penn State (3)
2. Evan Henderson- North Carolina (26)
3. C.J. Cobb- Penn (NR)
4. Colin Heffernan- Central Michigan (139)
5. Jake Short- Minnesota (18)
6. Matthew Cimato- Drexel (114)
7. Anthony Collica- Oklahoma State (21)
8. Patricio Lugo- Edinboro (64)
9. Laike Gardner- Lehigh (182)
10. Paul Fox- Stanford (80)
NR Freddy Stroker (20)

It will be interesting to see if these pre-seeds hold. Zain would be the favorite. Evan competing at 149 for the first time this season. Collica has been injured since losing to Short. Short has lost his last two matches. Heffernan has some strong wins. This weight is pretty strong with 5 top 30 wrestlers along with some strong contenders. I am picking this weight to lose 3 of the top four seeds prior to the semi's. It would be hard to say who makes it without the bracket but leaning towards Short, Collica, and Lugo but I really like Heffernan.

157 Review
1. Jason Nolf- Penn State (4)
2. Joe Smith- Oklahoma State (16)
3. Lucas Smith- Central Michigan (98)
4. Mitch Minotti- Lehigh (21)
5. Dylan Cottrell- West Virginia (156)
6. Dylan Palacio- Cornell (66)
7. Russell Parsons- Army (28)
8. Aaron Walker- The Citadel (NR)
9. Andrew Atkinson- Virginia (109)
10. Zack Beitz- Penn State (NR)
NR Larry Early (21)
NR Vincenzo Joseph (5)
2 top 10 wrestlers and another 4 of the top 30. It will be interesting to see where Early and Joseph end up in the bracket. Jason and Joe come in with the most fanfare. Jason shouldn't have much trouble getting to the semi's and Joe has been performing at a high level and I expect him to be there also. I could see two out of the top four making the semi's but I do like Lucas Smith. On second thought Lucas makes the semi's along with Vincenzo.

165 Review
1. Alex Dieringer- Oklahoma State (15)
2. Jim Wilson- Stanford (104)
3. Duke Pickett- Cornell (NR)
4. Casey Fuller- Edinboro (NR)
5. Jake Faust- Duke (91)
6. Geno Morelli- Penn State (NR)
7. Shakur Rasheed- Penn State (43)
8. Ryan Preisch- Lehigh (147)
9. Garrett Hammond- Penn State (41)
10. Logan Massa- Michigan (2)

Not a highly ranked group. Similar to 125 and 133. 3 wrestlers from Penn State and a true freshman from Michigan included in the top 10 seeds. I don't see Dieringer having troubles getting to the semi's. After that the most intriguing pick would be Massa and if the seeds hold he would face Shakur from Penn State prior to the round of 16. That would leave Garrett Hammond an opportunity to make it into the semi's. Leaving the fourth spot for Duke Pickett after he beats Geno in the quarters.

174 Review
1. Brian Realbuto- Cornell (11)
2. Kyle Crutchmer- Oklahoma State (14)
3. Ethan Ramos- North Carolina (63)
4. Bo Nickal- Penn State (7)
5. Mike Ottinger- Central Michigan (88)
6. Jadaen Bernstein- Navy (118)
7. Benjamin Stroh- Wyoming (44)
8. Chandler Rogers- Oklahoma State (13)
9. Brian Harvey- Army (NR)
10. Casey Kent- Penn (NR)

Boasting 4 wrestlers in the top 15 this weight could offer some great options in the quarters. We could see Rogers vs Realbuto, another Stroh Crutchmer match, and Nickal vs Ottinger. Based on these seedings Rogers has a tough path to the semi's. Looks like it should be Realbuto, Crutchmer, and Nickal. Ramos another NC weight change. Getting all four seeds to the semi's is unlikely but it happens here.

184 Review
1. Gabe Dean- Cornell (73)
2. Ian Brown- Lehigh (88)
3. Lorenzo Thomas- Penn (116)
4. Matt McCutcheon- Penn St (32)
5. Matthew Miller- Navy (134)
6. Nolan Boyd- Oklahoma State (NR)
7. Alex Utley- North Carolina (61)
8. Jordan Rogers- Oklahoma State (4)
9. Jordan Ellingwood- Central Michigan (103)
10. Austin Severn- Central Michigan (NR)
NR Bobby Stevenson (12)

Not much recruiting star power here but Gabe is the overwhelming favorite. There is one top 10 ranked wrestler but Rogers has struggled to find a spot so it would be hard to see him in the quarters. Stevenson is dropping down to 184 so maybe it helps or maybe it doesn't. This is throwing it against the wall but Utley upsets Brown, McCutcheon beats Miller and Boyd loses close match to Thomas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT