ADVERTISEMENT

2/6 Dual Comparison: Oklahoma State vs Wyoming

Wyoming

After a brief home stand the No. 20 University of Wyoming Cowboy wrestling team (7-3 overall) hits the road facing off against a pair of the NCAA's most historic wrestling programs in Oklahoma and No. 7 Oklahoma State.

OSU

Wyoming @ uo

Oklahoma vs. No. 20 Wyoming

Friday, Feb. 6 | 3 p.m. CT | McCasland Field House | Norman, Oklahoma

Final Score
Oklahoma: 16
Wyoming: 18

125: No. 15 Tyler Cox (Wyoming) dec. Ryan Millhof (OU), 4-3
133: No. 5 Cody Brewer (OU) dec. Drew Templeman (Wyoming), 8-3
141: Trae Blackwell (OU) maj. dec. Cole Mendenhall (Wyoming), 10-2
149: Austin Breckenridge (Wyoming) dec. Shayne Tucker (OU), 7-6
157: No. 15 Justin DeAngelis (OU) dec. Archie Colgan (Wyoming), 11-6
165: No. 20 Dakota Friesth (Wyoming) dec. Clark Glass (OU), 6-2
174: No. 14 Andy McCulley (Wyoming) dec. No. 17 Matt Reed (OU), 7-3
184: No. 19 Benjamin Stroh (Wyoming) dec. Brooks Climmons (OU), 3-0
197: No. 18 Shane Woods (Wyoming) dec. Andrew Dixon (OU), 4-0
HWT: No. 11 Ross Larson (OU) fall Tanner Harms OR Leland Pfeifer (Wyoming), 4:11

*with InterMat rankings

Oklahoma State vs Wyoming

Kyle Crutchmer against Andy McCulley at 174[/I]

OSU cowboy wins 5 - 3

Re: Wyoming at Oklahoma State

Except for GWH and Alex that was a pitiful performance for this far into the season. Maybe that would be ok for Nov. but no way for Feb. OU isn't very good but stuff like that could be a loss in Norman.

Not a great performance tonight but the 125 match was as good of a match as I have seen in a long time.

I concur with the consensus of fans posting. The performance was dismal with really only two bright spots. Gary Wayne Harding continues to impress albeit against less than great competition. Alex Dierenger dominated a very good wrestler in Dakota Friesth. Wyoming came to wrestle and while we won the dual it was not a pretty sight. Eddie won against Tyler Cox for the first time and Cox is an All-American however he did not finish the match well after amassing a solid lead. Dean Heil wrestled a similar match and the finish was again not there. John has been preaching that we need to wrestle stronger with no let up after obtaining a lead. This philosophy was certainly not followed last night. Anthony Collica had a quick takedown and instead of building a lead spiraled downward and his opponent dominated the bulk of the match.

Kyle Crutchmer was stymied for much of the match but finally found a takedown at the end to decision a very good wrestler at 174. Nolan Boyd tried to out strength a very strong wrestler and was rewarded by giving up three takedowns. He made a comeback but was too late to change the outcome and he ignored John's instructions to cut Stroh and try for another takedown instead of futilely riding out his opponent. I appreciate Nolan's intensity and drive but it has to be tempered with some awareness of who he is wrestling. Luke Bean showed that you can keep a match close against an opponent but all defense and no offense did not lead to success.

The pattern of the match demonstrated by Klimara, Heil and Collica was followed by Austin Marsden when he dominated his opponent for two periods and showed he was getting back his aggressive manner only to fall victim to severe lung injury and lack of intensity in the 3rd period.

I guess I subscribe to Scarlett O'Hara sentiment that "tomorrow will be a better day".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT