ADVERTISEMENT

19-20

OHkie

Redshirt
Oct 14, 2018
Does Daton taking an Olympic redshirt next year solve the log jam at the lower weights?

Does Daton taking an Olympic redshirt next year solve the log jam at the lower weights?
He will qualify with his Junior world medal if the guidelines stay the same as 2016 we should be seeing those by March

Would also strengthen our 2023 lineup (patience!). Especially if the older Mastro can hold 125. How about this?...

125: older Mastro (rSO)
133: Daton (rSR)
141: ? Witcraft (rJR)/ Young (rFR)
149: ? younger Mastro (rFR)
157: Balmaceda (rJR)
165: Wittlake (rSR)
174: Montalvo (rSR)
184: Plott (rSO)
197: ? Ferrari (rSO) / Haas (rFR)
285: Doucet (rSO)

Could also do some combination of Wittlake, Montalvo, and Plott from 174-197.

This might be a good idea.

125: Picc
133: Kaid
141: G
149: Boo

We are probably getting a bit ahead of ourselves here, its still the 18-19 season so why not enjoy it, but why would you spend the off season building up muscle mass etc to go up a weight and then the next year tear yourself back down to go down a weight class (and one where you were always gassing in the 3rd period)? Moreover, can you give an example in say the last ~10 years where this strategy worked to win a team title? But still need to solve the 157 issue, so ...

Tomasello did a year at 133 and dropped back to 125 for his senior year. He had about the same amount of success both seasons.

We are probably getting a bit ahead of ourselves here, its still the 18-19 season so why not enjoy it, but why would you spend the off season building up muscle mass etc to go up a weight and then the next year tear yourself back down to go down a weight class (and one where you were always gassing in the 3rd period)? Moreover, can you give an example in say the last ~10 years where this strategy worked to win a team title? But still need to solve the 157 issue, so ...

I don't think this idea was floated to win a team title next year (we won't be the favorites). I read it as more about potentially solving the logjam and getting guys at the weights where they will have the best chance of individual success. I don't know if that's 133 or 141 for Kaid, but Chris Dardanes might be another example. Like NaTo, he also went up one year and then came back down. I believe he went 133/133/141/133 and had his best year as a senior.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT