ADVERTISEMENT

Whisky Talk

Went to the rare tasting. Had some pretty cool samples. The highlight was a Balvenie 30 yr, a Glenfiddich Winter Storm, and a Macallan Edition 4. That Balvenie goes for around 1k a bottle. The Winter Storm for about 750 per (if you can find it, they aren't making more)

@BvillePoker , I picked up the last Whistle Pig Boss Hog and also got one of their rye's. They aren't making any more of the Boss Hog. I also go in good with the Whisky guy from Brown Derby and will get the call for a Pappy. I don't know if it'll be a 10 year, 20 or 23.

The rest of the night was just bouncing from distillery booth to booth trying some solid ones - and some not so solid ones. Wayne Gretsky makes some crappy whiskey. Don't bother with his.

This year was a bit different. The rares focused more on Scotches and the booths were more small craft distillers. So a bit of a change. But for the money, you can't beat it.
I got their Rye. I really like it. I would like to get my hands on a bottle of boss hog. If he calls on a bottle of pappy you better be talking with me too.

I got the Whistle Pig 12. Looked around town a bit. Not too many places had it; maybe they sold it out. I got it for $108, but that was with a 10% discount at Biergarten. Cheapest I saw it anywhere was $112. Unfortunately the original Parkhills only had the 10 and the Farmstock. They were the cheapest comfortably, on both of those.

That's a new record for me on a bottle of whiskey.

Last edited:
Picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare, will probably have a glass tonight. Anyone else try it?

Macallan 64 year old, from a Lalique Chrystal bottle.

I kid: I saw it 3 weeks ago in London and the price tag was $460,000 (365,000 pounds)

But I do regularly buy 50 year old aged single malts at the Whisky on the World shop in Heathrow. You just have to drive to Dallas and fly direct and you can carry it on the plane that way. My favorite is 1953 GlenGrant highlands single malt, which runs me about 450.00, but in the US would be several thousand

I took a trip direct to/from LHR from DEN back in April and I forgot about this.

I was reminded after reading something on tMB and there's a good chance I repeat that trip in July so I thought I'd look into this.

Google is telling me the shop is called World of Whiskies and it's in terminal 5.

If so, I'm not liking my odds of checking this place out. United flies out of terminal 3.

I've never tried the Clyde Mays before. How does it compare with some other popular whiskeys?
Good enough that I bought 2 bottles of the 3 in the store at $95 per bottle. The barrel strength is MUCH better than the regular. But I do have both.
Barrel Proof is top 10 whiskey in my book

This bottle
cmcs-f.jpg

Not this bottle
Clyde-Mays-Whiskey-Special-2.jpg

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
Good enough that I bought 2 bottles of the 3 in the store at $95 per bottle. The barrel strength is MUCH better than the regular. But I do have both.
Barrel Proof is top 10 whiskey in my book

This bottle
cmcs-f.jpg

Not this bottle
Clyde-Mays-Whiskey-Special-2.jpg

I think you may have a (not a drinking) problem.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
I think you may have a (not a drinking) problem.
I have a collection and sharing problem. I give away way more than I personally consume. Someone gave me great advice long ago. Be stingy when picking friends, then generous with them. I enjoy sharing my stash as much I enjoy drinking it.

Yesterday on top of those 2 Clyde May's and Mitcher's, I got a Yellow Belly beer (incredible but 10 bucks for a 12 oz bottle), a 6 of Shiner premium, a 6 of 90 Shilling, and a barrel aged Old Rasputin. My collection continues to grow.

Old Forester recently released a Rye. Believe it was late last year. Anyway, it gets my vote for best value on the shelves right now (which I’m more focused on these days because of the price increases). Also it’s easy to find, naturally. Can be had for $23-$26 and makes it hard to justify paying $50-70 for my erstwhile go-tos.

I was so pleasantly surprised with it that I did a bit of reading on it and apparently I’m not alone in my opinion. Recommend.

Old Forester recently released a Rye. Believe it was late last year. Anyway, it gets my vote for best value on the shelves right now (which I’m more focused on these days because of the price increases). Also it’s easy to find, naturally. Can be had for $23-$26 and makes it hard to justify paying $50-70 for my erstwhile go-tos.

I was so pleasantly surprised with it that I did a bit of reading on it and apparently I’m not alone in my opinion. Recommend.

You don’t need to even surpass $20 for great rye. Just buy Rittenhouse or old Overholt.

Glad this popped up again. One of our suppliers, who knows I like smokey/peaty scotches brought a bottle of Bruichladdich Octomore 6.1 - holy moly.

I have the Old Forester Rye at my house right now. I like it well enough, but it is pretty low proof for a rye. There is really nothing special about it. If you want a really good rye for a reasonable price, get Pikesville Rye. That is my favorite rye.

Reactions: Ostatedchi

I got the Old Forester for about $18 or so. Pretty average but for the money it isn't bad. Rittenhouse is the best for that money IMO. Old Overholt is terrible

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
I got the Old Forester for about $18 or so. Pretty average but for the money it isn't bad. Rittenhouse is the best for that money IMO. Old Overholt is terrible

You know nothing except the best vintages of Freon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT