ADVERTISEMENT

Whisky Talk

Marshal Jim Duncan

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2013
Scotch, Irish, Bourbon -- let's hear what you've been drinking. Anything new? Anything you're longing to try?

It's been too long. I will jump in later with mine.

Scotch, Irish, Bourbon -- let's hear what you've been drinking. Anything new? Anything you're longing to try?

I've become a Knob Creek guy of late. I was drinking Tin Cup for a while after years of being a Jim Beam guy.

Knob Creek isn't unique or new, but it is darn sure tasty.

Drinking Blanton's. I've never had Four Roses and was thinking about trying that next or one of the Col Taylor variations I haven't tried. I normally just go with Jefferson's (small batch or ocean) or Buffalo Trace.

Drinking Blanton's. I've never had Four Roses and was thinking about trying that next or one of the Col Taylor variations I haven't tried. I normally just go with Jefferson's (small batch or ocean) or Buffalo Trace.
Blanton's is my go to premium bourbon.

Funny, I own two bottles of whiskey: Knob Creek and another one that a big freaking liquor snob beat me over the head with in previous threads: Redbreast 12. I'd never had Irish whiskey, but I'll grudgingly admit that it's really good and sometimes snob's are useful.

No shit: I used the search function to find the thread on my phone while standing in the liquor aisle at Total Wine.

I've been trying to have a good bottle of Scotch on hand at all times, though this sometimes proves difficult as I know they are in the cabinet. Right now we've switched from having Aberlour 16 to Oban 14. I am slowly getting the wife to approve of the more peaty whiskys. The Oban is a nice balance with some smoke and peat. Also had a Talisker 10 not too long ago that we enjoyed. Costco has the best Scotch prices if you have one nearby.

The Trader Joes 12 yr old Scotch is pretty heinous FWIW. But what do you expect for $20.

I always have rye whiskey around for Manhattans, usually Bulliet. I need to try more.

I've been trying to have a good bottle of Scotch on hand at all times, though this sometimes proves difficult as I know they are in the cabinet. Right now we've switched from having Aberlour 16 to Oban 14. I am slowly getting the wife to approve of the more peaty whiskys. The Oban is a nice balance with some smoke and peat. Also had a Talisker 10 not too long ago that we enjoyed. Costco has the best Scotch prices if you have one nearby.

The Trader Joes 12 yr old Scotch is pretty heinous FWIW. But what do you expect for $20.

I always have rye whiskey around for Manhattans, usually Bulliet. I need to try more.
If you can find it get High West's "36th Vote" Barrel-Aged Manhattan. It is AMAZING. Jefferson also bottles a barrel-aged Manhattan that is good but not nearly as good as High West's.

And I am certain that I was the original Redbreast 12 snob (not in the world, just on this board).

I like Oban 14; had a short glass just last night! I prefer The Balvenie Double Wood though. I've been trying to decide which single malt to branch out to next, which was one of the reasons for this thread. Talsiker 10 and Aberlour are both on the short list. Though, sadly I don't currently have a dram of The Balvenie.

Reactions: OrangePhish
Usually keep Bulliet Rye in my decanter for low cost decent brown liquor.

Redbreast 12 - try to keep it around
Various highland or speyside scotches rotate through .. Balvenie Caribbean Cask is a favorite.

Currently I have been waging a taste war with Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg Corryvreckan. I just can't decide which I like better.

Weller 12 for bourbon .. I don't buy a lot of bourbon but was able to get this and have been nursing it slowly because I really like it.

If you can find it get High West's "36th Vote" Barrel-Aged Manhattan. It is AMAZING. Jefferson also bottles a barrel-aged Manhattan that is good but not nearly as good as High West's.

And I am certain that I was the original Redbreast 12 snob (not in the world, just on this board).

Redbreast is quality whiskey

Blanton's is my go to, but like to try other stuff that looks interesting...have ended up with a decent collection at home because I'm not a really a bar guy, so absolutely must buy a full bottle to test.

Another I really like is Booker's, but its a bit too stout for me to really enjoy neet...so have it on the rocks.

Just tried Angel's Envy at a restraunt while traveling a couple weeks agou and really liked it.

This weekend I'm going to dip into Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique. (see below)

So, a story here...last year my wife and I visited her family in Taiwan over Christmas. I was buying some of their more local hooch, Kaoliang, to bring back for me and some gifts. Anyway the liquor store guy was raving about their Taiwan Whiskey. I had plenty of liquor to carry home, so didn't get any, but was intrigued. Did some researching and lo and behold this Kavalan whiskey had been winning all kinds of awards. After researching all their varieties, I settled on this one...it won an award for best world single malt in 2015 and had a tasting note like "bourbon infused with milk chocolat." Couldn't resist.

So my very wonderful wife goes back again this Christmas, so I give her my request. Kavalan has many "showrooms" all over Taipei, so I figure that it shouldn't be too tough to snag a bottle or two. But when she goes searching, turns out its a very limited release each year...nothing available...you need to be on the waiting list about a year in advance...ooops. Well, my very very wonderful wife (must say it again!!) is a hell of a finagler!! She convinced a cleark to scour the system to see if they could find any...found 2 bottle in Taipei!! So, she ran to the stores with those bottles.

At the first store they were not going to sell it to her...it was being held for someone who HAD put their name on the list last year, but just hadn't picked up his bottle yet. Well she's persuasive, she finally convinced them cash today was better!! The 2nd store was easier, as this bottle had been on display and somehow the clasp on the included container was slightly hard to close now...so the collectors didn't want it. My good fortune!!

Anyway, thanks to my very, very, very wonderful wife, I'm going to test this out this weekend! Hopefully it lives up to my expectations...if not, I'll damn sure tell her it did!!

kavalan_zpsspi0clqx.jpg

I started drinking Pendleton (a Canadian style whiskey) while in grad school and it's turned into my go-to drink if I want something stronger than beer. I love to have a glass when I'm doing dishes.

The last 5 years I've been exploring blended scotches if I want to try something new. Chivas 12 or Dewar's 12 are the two that I'm most likely to have in the liquor cabinet at home at any given time.

I have 1 1/2 bottles of Johnnie Walker Blue that I'll open up for holidays or other special occasions. It's probably safe to say that it's my favorite whiskey, overall. I also have another bottle of it hidden away that I got a month after my son was born which I'm planing on giving to him on his 21st birthday.

I wasn't a huge fan of single malt scotches, but it's been a long-time since I've sampled many... Maybe 6-7 years. My tastes have probably changed since then, so I'm sure I'd find something I liked if I gave it another go
Try The Balvenie Double Wood or Redbreast Irish 12. Both are super smooth. Since I started drinking single malt scotch more and Irish whiskey, I don't have much taste for bourbon either, except very occasionally. Too sweet.

No mention of four roses as have tasted. This is one quality bourbon.

During my 8 years in KY, most locals seem to favor Woodford Reserve.

I f’ing hate Dickel.

Evan is a great cheap whiskey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bitter Creek
I usually keep lagavulin 16, Balvenie double wood and one other scotch around. Just finished the Bowmore 12. Really liked it. Before that I had the speyburn, aranta cask. Reasonable and very tasty. Hardly any smoke or peat, but a very fruity and refreshing dram.

Always have rye. I sip it straight, but also keep it around for a Sazerac. I know you can spend big money, as rye is kind of the new hipster whiskey, but I usually keep rittenhouse on hand. I think it's as good as anything I've had and it's $20 a bottle. Old overholt is also really good, and even less expensive, but it's a tad harsh to me.

The other whiskey I always have is Michters US1 American whiskey. Flat delicious and a very reasonable bottle.

Here's a recommendation, if you want to try something unique. Bastille is a French whiskey. It's very sweet - almost like an aperitif.

My team got me some jeffersons ocean for Christmas. Not normally much of a bourbon guy, but looking forward to trying this.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
No mention of four roses as have tasted. This is one quality bourbon.

I'd heard a lot about how great Four Roses was...bought a bottle and just didn't do it for me. Not terrible, hell its still bourbon, but pretty low on the list for my taste buds. It is now my go to for a mix.

My boss is a flat out nothing but Woodford guy. I like it. Not as good as Blanton's, but similar & just a notch off & often easier to find at restaurants, so pretty good to have that choice in the back pocket.

The other whiskey I always have is Michters US1 American whiskey. Flat delicious and a very reasonable bottle.

Here's a recommendation, if you want to try something unique. Bastille is a French whiskey. It's very sweet - almost like an aperitif.

My team got me some jeffersons ocean for Christmas. Not normally much of a bourbon guy, but looking forward to trying this.

Michters is one I'm looking forward to trying but haven't snagged any yet.

Love Jefferson's Ocean. Had a golf buddy bring some to the course one day and tried it...bought a bottle on the way home. Almost gone, will have to get some more. Definitely in my top 5. It's definitely quite a different drink than my other mainstays like Blanton's, Woodford, or Knob Creek, so really good to slide in and change things up.

BTW, tested the Kavalan last night. Was really good. Its cask strength, the bottle I opened was 54%. Just tested it straight last night, and although I enjoyed the taste, its a little fiery for me to drink that way regularly...kind of like the Booker's. We'll try it out with some ice this evening and see how that goes. Not getting the bourbon & milk chocolate from the reviews myself...not sure how to explain, but got the feel of some dark chocolate, not flavor really... Anyway deserves more testing!

Reactions: Colorado_Poke
Michter’s American is easy and excellent.
brbon_mic7.jpg

Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky was given to me for Christmas. Definitely enjoyable.

japan_nik25.jpg

While not technically a whisky, Balcones Rumble is different, interesting and tasty. Another gift received this year.

ci_13300.png

Michter’s American is easy and excellent.
brbon_mic7.jpg

Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky was given to me for Christmas. Definitely enjoyable.

japan_nik25.jpg

While not technically a whisky, Balcones Rumble is different, interesting and tasty. Another gift received this year.

ci_13300.png
I like Balcones' whiskeys. I've never had the Rumble but I've heard good things.

Might be too sweet for your taste based on your comment above, but I’d say worth a try.
Yeah their Baby Blue was really sweet. But I liked it pretty well; that was several years back before I was moving more into the Scotch. I have 1/2 a bottle of their Texas One Single Malt at home. Its. pretty good.

What are you thoughts on the bourbon staples of Makers and Jim Bean?
Maker's Mark is the best "standard level" bourbon IMO. Some of the nicer bourbons mentioned here, such as Booker's and Knob Creek, are Beam bourbons. And Makers and Jim Beam are both now owned by Suntory.

I have been liking rye whiskey lately. My favorite so far is a rye from Colorado called Pikesville. Four Roses small batch is my standard go to bourbon. Buffalo Trace is a bourbon out of the Weller's distillery that is very good and a good price point. For my high end once in a while drinking I like the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Jefferson's is doing some nice things with like rum cask aging, etc. McCallans is going to stop doing "age statements" on most of their new stuff and going for more flavor profiles instead.

Reactions: BluegrassPoke
Maker's Mark is the best "standard level" bourbon IMO. Some of the nicer bourbons mentioned here, such as Booker's and Knob Creek, are Beam bourbons. And Makers and Jim Beam are both now owned by Suntory.
I agree with you on Makers. My jimmies get rustled if my only choice at a party for bourbon/whiskey is Beam.

I was recently in Colorado and grabbed some Breckenridge Bourbon. Mainly because it was called Brecknridge and said it was made with snowmelt (I'm easily swayed by marketing). It was a lot better than I expected. It didn't blow my mind or anything but it was solid for a random pick up.

Weller 12 for bourbon .. I don't buy a lot of bourbon but was able to get this and have been nursing it slowly because I really like it.

I am jealous. Seriously. I tried Weller 12 when I was in Lexington back in November (based on a recommendation from this board) and I loved it. It also costs ~$25 for a pour. I can't find it anywhere at a reasonable price.

My cousin lives in KY now and this was his first recommendation to me. I picked some up on sale yesterday and enjoying it now. Not outstanding, but still quite good and importantly, quite affordable.

I have been liking rye whiskey lately. My favorite so far is a rye from Colorado called Pikesville.

I enjoyed Bulleit Rye quite a bit. I'll have to try this one. I checked and it's available at the local mega liquor store. @Colorado_Poke - Wyatt's Wet Goods in Longmont, but you should be able to find it closer I would imagine.

I was recently in Colorado and grabbed some Breckenridge Bourbon. Mainly because it was called Brecknridge and said it was made with snowmelt (I'm easily swayed by marketing). It was a lot better than I expected. It didn't blow my mind or anything but it was solid for a random pick up.

I also saw this one in stock. I'm going to see if one of the local watering holes has some I can try before grabbing a bottle - you'll have to give a more enthusiastic review than that for a bottle buy. :)

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I enjoyed Bulleit Rye quite a bit. I'll have to try this one. I checked and it's available at the local mega liquor store. @Colorado_Poke - Wyatt's Wet Goods in Longmont, but you should be able to find it closer I would imagine.
Probably so. Davidson's in Highlands Ranch or Tipsy's in Littleton is likely to have it; we can find most anything at one or the other.

I also saw this one in stock. I'm going to see if one of the local watering holes has some I can try before grabbing a bottle - you'll have to give a more enthusiastic review than that for a bottle buy. :)
I think this one's become more popular locally as of late, but not completely positive.

I am jealous. Seriously. I tried Weller 12 when I was in Lexington back in November (based on a recommendation from this board) and I loved it. It also costs ~$25 for a pour. I can't find it anywhere at a reasonable price.
Wow .. I think the bottle cost me about $36

Reactions: KidPoke
I'm still drinking Crown Royal with ginger ale as my mixer drink, and when I'm in the mood for straight I have been drinking 4 Roses small batch.

I poured a shot of Jamison the other night. It tasted so meh. It used to be what I thought whiskey was supposed to be. Damn.

I usually do woodford reserve. But from this thread looking like I need to try Blantons?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT