ADVERTISEMENT

Whisky Talk

Just came back from Whiskey Fest in Springfield.
In the rare tasting we had some:
Glenfiddich 30 year
Kavalan Ex-Bourbon Cask reserve edition
Usquaebach 'An Ard Ir' cask strength
Pendleton Director's reserve 20 year old
Jefferson's bourbon presidential select 16 year
4 roses limited edition small batch Al Young 50th
High West midwinter nights dram rye
whistle pig Boss Hogg edition IV, the black prince.

The Whistle Pig was probably the best, followed by the Pendleton and Jefferson's.

Just came back from Whiskey Fest in Springfield.
In the rare tasting we had some:
Glenfiddich 30 year
Kavalan Ex-Bourbon Cask reserve edition
Usquaebach 'An Ard Ir' cask strength
Pendleton Director's reserve 20 year old
Jefferson's bourbon presidential select 16 year
4 roses limited edition small batch Al Young 50th
High West midwinter nights dram rye
whistle pig Boss Hogg edition IV, the black prince.

The Whistle Pig was probably the best, followed by the Pendleton and Jefferson's.
My question is how the hell do you remember?

Reactions: Air_Thurman
My question is how the hell do you remember?
I took a photo. (First try at sharing from my Google photos.)
mcVaG6ggrd6E3fD3JGoh66DzrSWV6oNRgo-479JaoEqMYCSur9R0LyJ4_Jo3tJ9qahFDgXe95_L91_vFCQuiGuronnJDwjn4_YxIYd7JCpzoTL08zDrZn5EQL_ZybI3eFsxfxJMfTpLaiOu0Zmyp6bjvg5odnPQF_rNDBOmgJYFO8BnZM7c-U-28aswzBiFFPbxvZPsqDxcn_BrkkkM7HjaQgaKVW8XcTdEzYqHuhh8lEry1XDenBhhpa5LX7bKG7pk3S_-qQ8g3LWGm37kTWO1Y-GOOfrRfSEsNuVEI-Y-kl2ncCSmCJjI4WXxWa6TP8FT9oERqQuqOf65VuzhsPjYSGChVQu49crP48XtMrhuspW_t7zg5NbA2fyl0cCgYEEjLFUOIMo3QMmgBW3u0S4RshtfPK10aXT0eqXyLoU2ouu8_4qzW8aArxT0tGVOzbKtZidTaTkt-p7E0mMfG0cFvYq7Wa8lxL_8H7TWPgKKR3F_0nmZMfVszVtPEIu9uiOci-1uOJfq1DRGd8CzW1CPjeUICM5BeRNdzhBYGsSEAa-Z0j1aQ03iOvsSaXQVfAF0iV4TsLQDDZqEryn1mF12VV4ltiZo46UCsGQHdhEaBjboK9kGBeRIks_DqH6vRcWNBKwWdgCws7TD-bMMyIqjtVnNrM5UE=w1319-h989-no

I took a photo. (First try at sharing from my Google photos.)
mcVaG6ggrd6E3fD3JGoh66DzrSWV6oNRgo-479JaoEqMYCSur9R0LyJ4_Jo3tJ9qahFDgXe95_L91_vFCQuiGuronnJDwjn4_YxIYd7JCpzoTL08zDrZn5EQL_ZybI3eFsxfxJMfTpLaiOu0Zmyp6bjvg5odnPQF_rNDBOmgJYFO8BnZM7c-U-28aswzBiFFPbxvZPsqDxcn_BrkkkM7HjaQgaKVW8XcTdEzYqHuhh8lEry1XDenBhhpa5LX7bKG7pk3S_-qQ8g3LWGm37kTWO1Y-GOOfrRfSEsNuVEI-Y-kl2ncCSmCJjI4WXxWa6TP8FT9oERqQuqOf65VuzhsPjYSGChVQu49crP48XtMrhuspW_t7zg5NbA2fyl0cCgYEEjLFUOIMo3QMmgBW3u0S4RshtfPK10aXT0eqXyLoU2ouu8_4qzW8aArxT0tGVOzbKtZidTaTkt-p7E0mMfG0cFvYq7Wa8lxL_8H7TWPgKKR3F_0nmZMfVszVtPEIu9uiOci-1uOJfq1DRGd8CzW1CPjeUICM5BeRNdzhBYGsSEAa-Z0j1aQ03iOvsSaXQVfAF0iV4TsLQDDZqEryn1mF12VV4ltiZo46UCsGQHdhEaBjboK9kGBeRIks_DqH6vRcWNBKwWdgCws7TD-bMMyIqjtVnNrM5UE=w1319-h989-no

What did you think of the Midwinter Nights Dram? I picked some up a few weeks ago but haven't tried it yet.

For the scotch guys, anyone tried Cragganmore 12? A buddy of mine highly recommends it and I'm considering grabbing a bottle for my brother as a Christmas present since he prefers scotch.

What did you think of the Midwinter Nights Dram? I picked some up a few weeks ago but haven't tried it yet.

For the scotch guys, anyone tried Cragganmore 12? A buddy of mine highly recommends it and I'm considering grabbing a bottle for my brother as a Christmas present since he prefers scotch.
MSND was the 2nd best of that tasting behind the Whistle Pig. I've been looking for some actually.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
MSND was the 2nd best of that tasting behind the Whistle Pig. I've been looking for some actually.

I saw one in a local shop the other day. Can't recall the price, but I think it was just over $100. Let me know if you are interested if it's still there.

I went to Austin and was eating at Culinary Dropout and noticed they had 10 year Van Winkle, it was to temping to pass up a try since I'll probably never see it in Oklahoma nor will I pay what some places charge for it (store at grand central station has a bottle for sale for $1,200). It was pretty damn good once I got used to how strong it was.

I also scored a bottle of Colonel E.H. Taylor small batch which I have never been able to find in Oklahoma. I have not opened this one yet but it's highly praised on the bourbon FB group Im in.

My whiskey hunting has not been that successful this year in terms of what I was seeking, which is Old Weller Antique and Elmer T Lee.

However, through strange circumstances, I managed to score two bottles of Old Rip Van Winkle 10y, each around $80.

I'm considering using one to trade for the stuff I want to get, including EH Taylor Single Barrel, which I can't find around here. I see the EHT small batch fairly often.

The EHT small batch is quite good but single barrel and ETL are just delicious.

Reactions: KidPoke and OSUIvan

I haven't tried it but I have heard it's really good. How much did you
My whiskey hunting has not been that successful this year in terms of what I was seeking, which is Old Weller Antique and Elmer T Lee.

However, through strange circumstances, I managed to score two bottles of Old Rip Van Winkle 10y, each around $80.

I'm considering using one to trade for the stuff I want to get, including EH Taylor Single Barrel, which I can't find around here. I see the EHT small batch fairly often.

The EHT small batch is quite good but single barrel and ETL are just delicious.

I have Weller SR all over Owasso but have not seen antique, but one store had Weller 12 in the other day (as well as Stagg) but I was in Austin (they posted it on FB). Weller SR has become one of my favorites because it's good , and cheap. I have been trying to make some friends at my fav liquor store to get info when they get the good stuff in.

Macallan 64 year old, from a Lalique Chrystal bottle.

I kid: I saw it 3 weeks ago in London and the price tag was $460,000 (365,000 pounds)

But I do regularly buy 50 year old aged single malts at the Whisky on the World shop in Heathrow. You just have to drive to Dallas and fly direct and you can carry it on the plane that way. My favorite is 1953 GlenGrant highlands single malt, which runs me about 450.00, but in the US would be several thousand

I kid: I saw it 3 weeks ago in London and the price tag was $460,000 (365,000 pounds)

But I do regularly buy 50 year old aged single malts at the Whisky on the World shop in Heathrow. You just have to drive to Dallas and fly direct and you can carry it on the plane that way. My favorite is 1953 GlenGrant highlands single malt, which runs me about 450.00, but in the US would be several thousand

200w.gif

I'm flying through Heathrow the second half of January. Unfortunately I'm almost certainly going to go through Dulles or Newark - United's DEN-LHR route is seasonal.

Never tried to shop for liquor at the airport. If I'm only taking two carry-ons, what would prevent me from doing the same thing you mentioned?

I’ve never had any duty free luck. It never seems like it’s cheaper.

My liquor store owner texted me saying that he got 2 bottles of Weller's 12 and one of them is mine. I ran right over and picked it up. He said that he turned away a number of others asking for it since I'm such a core customer. Feels good man.

Any good recs for something $25 and under? Need a dirty santa gift and would love to take some whiskey but I'm not sure if there is anything decent for that price.

Buffalo Trace
Four Roses
Old Forester
Elijah Craig

You should be able to find just about any of them at that price.

Any good recs for something $25 and under? Need a dirty santa gift and would love to take some whiskey but I'm not sure if there is anything decent for that price.

Red bush is a tasty Irish that’s around that price. Plus it will make for very good banter when people try to steal your red bush

One of the best that I have had is called Old Grandad 115. It runs about $26 and it is a damn good whiskey for that price.

My liquor store owner texted me saying that he got 2 bottles of Weller's 12 and one of them is mine. I ran right over and picked it up. He said that he turned away a number of others asking for it since I'm such a core customer. Feels good man.
I teased Jack that I was mad about this yesterday. He said that he felt it better suited your tastes since you do not like the sharp/bitey whiskeys. And he knew that you would give me a taste of it too. :)

Reactions: Ostatedchi
I went to Austin and was eating at Culinary Dropout and noticed they had 10 year Van Winkle, it was to temping to pass up a try since I'll probably never see it in Oklahoma nor will I pay what some places charge for it (store at grand central station has a bottle for sale for $1,200). It was pretty damn good once I got used to how strong it was.

I also scored a bottle of Colonel E.H. Taylor small batch which I have never been able to find in Oklahoma. I have not opened this one yet but it's highly praised on the bourbon FB group Im in.
@Ostatedchi and I's whiskey guy has a locked case in his liquor store that has 4 bottles of Pappy in it ranging from Family Reserve to the 10yr. What makes me mad is that NONE OF THEM ARE FOR SALE! He just puts them out there to tease us and to let everyone know that he has the connections to get pretty much anything.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
@Ostatedchi and I's whiskey guy has a locked case in his liquor store that has 4 bottles of Pappy in it ranging from Family Reserve to the 10yr. What makes me mad is that NONE OF THEM ARE FOR SALE! He just puts them out there to tease us and to let everyone know that he has the connections to get pretty much anything.

I don't know what's worse, that or to price them at $500-$1,500 like some store owners do.

One of the best that I have had is called Old Grandad 115. It runs about $26 and it is a damn good whiskey for that price.

Old Grandad 115 is great, I have not seen it in any of my stores. Need to ask them if they can get it but I never remember.

Have any of you folks tried the bastille? My liquor guy recommended it to me a few years ago. It’s French whiskey ... on the sweet side ... almost like an aperitif. Interesting for a change of pace or as a dessert accompaniment

Funny, I own two bottles of whiskey: Knob Creek and another one that a big freaking liquor snob beat me over the head with in previous threads: Redbreast 12. I'd never had Irish whiskey, but I'll grudgingly admit that it's really good and sometimes snob's are useful.

No shit: I used the search function to find the thread on my phone while standing in the liquor aisle at Total Wine.
The only negative is the price has gone up 50%+ in 6-7 years.

I'm flying through Heathrow the second half of January. Unfortunately I'm almost certainly going to go through Dulles or Newark - United's DEN-LHR route is seasonal.

Never tried to shop for liquor at the airport. If I'm only taking two carry-ons, what would prevent me from doing the same thing you mentioned?

If you land and clear customs in an airport you are making a connection in.... you can't go back through security post customs with the bottles of liquids, and why i drive to DFW and fly direct

So my wife goes ahead and buys a Whistle Pig Black Prince today. Yeah...

And now I'm on a tasting for a Pappy 23 or 20.

I've a problem

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
Jim Beam is a staple of my deregulation diet.

I’ve long been a huge Woodford Reserve fan.

Lately, I’ve been drinking a lot of Baker’s neat. It’s 107 proof so some people may be turned off but I love it for that burn.

Is started drinking my best bourbon from a cognac glass and it’s been life changing.

It’s amazibg just how much it enhances your ability to detect the more subltlr nuances of the liquor.

It hits your nose and you can feel that burn in your eyes before you taste it.

I feel like at 42 I can finally appreciate what I thought before was mostly snobbery.

There aren’t a lot of bourbons that I haven’t enjoyed. 4 roses, knob creek, makers TX, 1492, angels envy, bookers, Breckinridge, michters, Elijah Craig, Weller, Evan, and all the rest of the mid to low end bourbons. I really can’t think of one I just didn’t like.

I just tried Michters for the 1st time a couple weeks ago and I really liked it.

I’m not much for Rye or Irish whiskey or Scotch though if I had to choose I’d go in that order.

Went to the rare tasting. Had some pretty cool samples. The highlight was a Balvenie 30 yr, a Glenfiddich Winter Storm, and a Macallan Edition 4. That Balvenie goes for around 1k a bottle. The Winter Storm for about 750 per (if you can find it, they aren't making more)

@BvillePoker , I picked up the last Whistle Pig Boss Hog and also got one of their rye's. They aren't making any more of the Boss Hog. I also go in good with the Whisky guy from Brown Derby and will get the call for a Pappy. I don't know if it'll be a 10 year, 20 or 23.

The rest of the night was just bouncing from distillery booth to booth trying some solid ones - and some not so solid ones. Wayne Gretsky makes some crappy whiskey. Don't bother with his.

This year was a bit different. The rares focused more on Scotches and the booths were more small craft distillers. So a bit of a change. But for the money, you can't beat it.

Reactions: BluegrassPoke
Went to the rare tasting. Had some pretty cool samples. The highlight was a Balvenie 30 yr, a Glenfiddich Winter Storm, and a Macallan Edition 4. That Balvenie goes for around 1k a bottle. The Winter Storm for about 750 per (if you can find it, they aren't making more)

@BvillePoker , I picked up the last Whistle Pig Boss Hog and also got one of their rye's. They aren't making any more of the Boss Hog. I also go in good with the Whisky guy from Brown Derby and will get the call for a Pappy. I don't know if it'll be a 10 year, 20 or 23.

The rest of the night was just bouncing from distillery booth to booth trying some solid ones - and some not so solid ones. Wayne Gretsky makes some crappy whiskey. Don't bother with his.

This year was a bit different. The rares focused more on Scotches and the booths were more small craft distillers. So a bit of a change. But for the money, you can't beat it.
I thought WhistlePig just introduced a new Boss Hog?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT