ADVERTISEMENT

Weigel / Nickal match up

OSU48

2nd Team
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I think most people would have a similar guess as to how Nickal would win the match up with TDs , winning scrambles and maybe turns for points. But how does Weigel win the match up? Maybe by giving up one TD, two escapes and a ride out?

I think most people would have a similar guess as to how Nickal would win the match up with TDs , winning scrambles and maybe turns for points. But how does Weigel win the match up? Maybe by giving up one TD, two escapes and a ride out?

To win Weigel will need to avoid getting way down in the first or even pinned. He then needs to take top if he wins the top.

Turning him and wearing him down are his only possible winning scenarios and even those are longshots.

I agree with 2082, stay away from Nickal early and try to wear him down. If Preston can get on top and ride him, Nickal may not have much in the tank since he very seldom goes 7 minutes.

Be able to wrestle with a baseball bat? I love Weigel but I don't think anyone can stay away from getting bonused by Nickal. Hope like hell I'm wrong. I just hope Preston gets seeded on the other side of the bracket so we don't have to find out until the finals.

Last edited:
Reactions: osu2082
Be able to wrestle with a baseball bat? I love Weigel but I don't think anyone can stay away from getting bonused by Nikal. Hope like hell I'm wrong. I just hope Preston gets seeded on the other side of the bracket so we don't have to find out until the finals.

Oh I don't think there is a realistic chance he can win and keeping it to a regular decision might be wishful thinking. I was just answering as to "how" he "could" win.

Bo (and Nolf) are just on a whole different planet.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Be able to wrestle with a baseball bat? I love Weigel but I don't think anyone can stay away from getting bonused by Nikal. Hope like hell I'm wrong. I just hope Preston gets seeded on the other side of the bracket so we don't have to find out until the finals.
No!!!! Don't try to go against Bo with a bat, he will steal it from you, hit you on the top of your head, then put you in a cradle and pin you, but will then give you a hand to help you back up off the mat. :)

I believe that Weigel is the only 197 who could make Bo have to work. Weigel is quick and strong but he has the wingspan to battle the arm length of Bo. Weigel’s wrestling IQ will also help him stay out of some of Bo’s many pinning moves.

I believe that Weigel is the only 197 who could make Bo have to work. Weigel is quick and strong but he has the wingspan to battle the arm length of Bo. Weigel’s wrestling IQ will also help him stay out of some of Bo’s many pinning moves.
I hope it happens cause I want to see what happens when Weigel chooses top. I think he is the only guy who might be able to ride and turn Bo. Also can't image that Bo could hold Preston in a cradle. Think the seed math is what it is, but if were an OSU coach and could lobby for seed, I'd try to get the 4 or 5. Better to get Bo in the qrt or semi than the final, and have to get at least a couple direct h2h Penn St upsets for any chance to win.

I would think Preston would have to choose top against Bo. He's not going to score against him on his feet so a turn is likely his only way to win the match imo.

I believe he can beat anyone else at that weight class so seeding will be important and definitely he has to move from 4th to 3rd.
How does that help? We need Nickal knocked out of the championship match. Placing 2nd to Nickal 1st doesn't help. We need 1st and Nickal 3rd.

I agree with 2082, stay away from Nickal early and try to wear him down. If Preston can get on top and ride him, Nickal may not have much in the tank since he very seldom goes 7 minutes.

I agree. Sounds boring, but hold position, look for counters, avoid the first period pin, choose top, maybe even win on rideouts.

Reactions: osu2082
Preston is strong enough to give Bo problems. Might be the most physically powerful 97 out there. Can he stay square and keep Bo off his legs? Does Preston have the shape to wear Bo down?

It’s an intriguing matchup. I hope they are on opposite sides.

Nickal is going to shock the world after his semifinal win and retire from NCAA Wrestling to focus on global dominance. Preston being on the other side, wins his title.

That's really the only way this will work.

Preston is strong enough to give Bo problems. Might be the most physically powerful 97 out there. Can he stay square and keep Bo off his legs? Does Preston have the shape to wear Bo down?

It’s an intriguing matchup. I hope they are on opposite sides.

This matchup has a bit of the feel of the Cormier/ Sanderson matchup a number of years ago in Iowa City.

This matchup has a bit of the feel of the Cormier/ Sanderson matchup a number of years ago in Iowa City.

Similar for sure.

I honestly think Preston has a chance. I know it’s orange colored glasses, and everything would have to fall right, but I see a scenario where Preston can win.

Keep from getting taken down in the first while delivering heavy, heavy pressure (make Bo carry the weight). Choose down in the second and escape quickly and repeat of the first. Bo takes down in the third, Preston gets a minute and can stay away from Bo without giving up stalling points.

Saying that it probably turns into 14-12 match. Lol

I believe Preston is the only 197 Out there that has a chance against BO but it will be hard to get it done. Bo is a incredible wrestler

Similar for sure.

I honestly think Preston has a chance. I know it’s orange colored glasses, and everything would have to fall right, but I see a scenario where Preston can win.

Keep from getting taken down in the first while delivering heavy, heavy pressure (make Bo carry the weight). Choose down in the second and escape quickly and repeat of the first. Bo takes down in the third, Preston gets a minute and can stay away from Bo without giving up stalling points.

Saying that it probably turns into 14-12 match. Lol

I could actually see this! Scoreless 1st, take down and Nickal most likely cuts him to score (even though the guy is arrogant enough to try and ride to prove he's the best at all positions)...repeat 1st and wrestle like a chicken hawk style, top in the 3rd and put over a minute on him.

I could actually see this! Scoreless 1st, take down and Nickal most likely cuts him to score (even though the guy is arrogant enough to try and ride to prove he's the best at all positions)...repeat 1st and wrestle like a chicken hawk style, top in the 3rd and put over a minute on him.

Why would Cael make him choose bottom? I don't think there is any chance this type of match plays out. Bo would choose neutral in the situation and have faith in getting a takedown, which he would be much more likely to get rather than a quick enough escape. Just my 2 cents

15 seconds in Bo takes an injury timeout, Preston takes top 2:45 of riding time later, Bo takes top in second period to try and decrease riding time after Preston defers. Reversal 2-0 escape after 3 minutes of riding time accrued. 2-1 into third Preston takes down gets called for stalling 3 times 3-3 entering sudden victory. Preston takes an injury timeout giving Bo choice in SV, Bo takes down. One minute ride out gives Preston an unheard of second riding time point and a National Championship.

Last edited:
Be able to wrestle with a baseball bat? I love Weigel but I don't think anyone can stay away from getting bonused by Nickal. Hope like hell I'm wrong. I just hope Preston gets seeded on the other side of the bracket so we don't have to find out until the finals.

These reminds me of a answer from Gable when asked if his wrestler might need a gun to beat John Smith and I believe he said, Smith would just take it away and hit him over the head with it.

I don't think it will be like that with Preston.

preston will have to ride him like
perry did howe

and if perry rode howe anything is possible

I thought that Perry could ride Howe, but the takedown was what shocked me in the OKC finals match.
My gut feeling is they will be on the opposite side of the bracket, but due to Preston's lack of matches he may end up a four seed. I would imagine that the 2 and 3 seeds would love keeping away from Bo and Preston.

Like Mono and Santana if Bo catches the flu I really like Preston's chances. Bo would beat everyone else if he had the flu, but Preston.
The Mono and Santana match was the most fun I have had at a sporting event in my life. When Monosmith signaled to the crowd to get into it the fun began.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT