MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma
June 17, 2021

Victoria's Secret goes woke​

By Monica Showalter

Victoria's Secret is going woke.

No, not in the most obvious sense. What it's doing is scrapping its long-built brand of sexy underwear on super-thin supermodels — and exchanging it for underwear displayed on fat models, transgender models, lesbian models, tattooed models, people whose taste and presentation in "sexy" is not quite the same as it was in the past, expecting the public to buy it, like it or not. They're going virtuous, they're going inclusive...

According to the New York Times:

They will be spearheading what may be the most extreme and unabashed attempt at a brand turnaround in recent memory: an effort to redefine the version of "sexy" that Victoria's Secret represents (and sells) to the masses. For decades, Victoria's Secret's scantily clad supermodels with Jessica Rabbit curves epitomized a certain widely accepted stereotype of femininity. Now, with that kind of imagery out of step with the broader culture and Victoria's Secret facing increased competition and internal turmoil, the company wants to become, its chief executive said, a leading global "advocate" for female empowerment.
Oh, really? As recently as 2018, they resisted that. There was a groveling apology. Now they're going all in.
What could be behind it, this spectacular U-turn?

Yes, it is a trend in fashion, definitely a trend with the youth, so, arguably, it's safe to say the company is following the herd and keeping up with the trends to try to make money. Just take a look at the kind of models seen on Uniqlo, Banana Republic, Abercrombie & Fitch, Bonobos, Savage x Fenty, and other mall fixtures, as well as Dove soap, and in trendy catalogues such as Poetry, North Face, Duluth, or Nike, not to mention high fashion. It's not quite the wholesome could-care-less outdoorsy look of Land's End, L.L. Bean, or Orvis. It's definitely an androgynous glamour look, contrived as heck, and in most cases openly woke and scolding.

This is one thing if you're the best in the business at that. It's probably quite another if you've cultivated a huge business based on another kind of customer, someone who wants the classically sexy look of Victoria's Secret, often to catch a man.

According to the Times:

While it was "probably time for the Angels to go," the lingerie powerhouse will have to strike a balance between moving forward and maintaining existing customers, said Cynthia Fedus-Fields, the former chief executive of the Victoria's Secret division responsible for its catalog.
"If it was a $7 billion business pre-Covid, and much of that $7 billion was built on this blatant sexy approach, be careful with what you're doing," she said.
That's what they're not doing. They're going all out to join the Church of Woke.

And already they aren't very good at it. Victoria's Secret's new top model, Meghan Rapinoe, a lesbian soccer star who's done a hell of a lot of modeling elsewhere and seems to like it better than soccer, is their new face and corporate consultant on wokester content. According to W magazine, Rapinoe said:

"Any chance I get to do something outside of sport, particularly in fashion, I'm all over that," she said. "Particularly in the context of women's sports, where I feel we're very boxed in."
Yet she doesn't project the "inclusiveness" she's been billed as projecting, given that she's been caught making a racial slur targeting Asians in her wayback, 2011, when she was 25. Some leftists are already calling to cancel her for that. Way to rope them in, V.S.

According to Sarah Hoyt of Instapundit, the whole thing looks like a loser. Getting woke is always a formula for going broke, as we all know, but in this case, the V.S. customer base is dispensed with altogether in favor of another one. Not exactly a formula for growth, actually:

THOSE WHO THINK THE MALE GAZE IS OBJECTIONABLE WON'T BE HAVING DESCENDANTS: Victoria's Secret Commits Suicide.
I'd say the new plan is to appeal to butch lesbians, but that's silly. By calling their new models the "VS Collective" they clearly want to appeal to communist butch lesbians. I don't think they've thought this through, though. There's no way to put a Mao collar on a pair of panties.
Seriously, is the youthful customer who likes this androgynous stuff going to flock to Victoria's Secret for his supply of it? With V.S.'s bad-fitting, unnatural materials; flimsy construction; high prices; just the general problems seen with the company's products well before this wokester shift? Or will they stick with what they know best? The answer to that is pretty clear.

So once again, what could be behind this sales-suicide almost certain to happen? Why is Victoria's Secret bowing down to the #MeToo feminists and scolding wokesters who want to sell a political lecture with every g-string bottom?

One little noted factor is the company's past issues. The New York Times puts its finger on it:

It is a stark change for a brand that not only long sold lingerie in the guise of male fantasy, but has also been scrutinized heavily in recent years for its owner's relationship with the sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and revelations about a misogynistic corporate culture that trafficked in sexism, sizeism and ageism.
Yes, that. According to Business Insider:

[Victoria's Secret head] Les Wexner was warned not to trust Jeffrey Epstein on at least two separate occasions but ignored the advice, according to a new investigation by Vanity Fair's Gabriel Sherman.
Wexner, the Ohio-based billionaire businessman behind L Brands and Victoria's Secret, has become a key part of the Epstein story in the past few years. Epstein had managed Wexner's finances, reportedly beginning in the 1980s, and the two men were considered to be "close personal friends" for several years.
When Epstein was arrested in July 2019, facing sex-trafficking charges, representatives for Wexner said the retail executive had severed ties with Epstein more than 12 years ago.
And some of the scandal likely involved Victoria's Secret itself:

L Brands hired outside legal counsel in 2019 to investigate the company's own ties to Epstein following reports that Epstein had used his connection to Wexner as a way to coerce women and girls into performing sexual acts by promising them modeling jobs.
And as recently as last year, they were pressured to come onboard the wokester train. According to Fashionista:

Days after the New York Times released a report detailing a culture of misogyny, bullying and harassment at Victoria's Secret, the Model Alliance has sent an open letter to John Mehas, the brand's CEO, urging it to join its Respect Program. "In the face of the horrifying revelations from the past year, this response is utterly unacceptable," it reads. "The time for listening is long past; it's time for Victoria's Secret to take action to protect the people they profit from. Human rights violations can't be stopped with a corporate rebranding exercise." An anonymous source told WWD that the brand is considering a response to the Model Alliance. {WWD}
The evidence is all over that now they're bending over backwards toward wokedom, to atone for, or cover up, their God-awful past. Harvey Weinstein used to do that, too, bankrolling Planned Parenthood and proposing a women's director school at the University of Southern California to keep eyes off his vile casting couch activities and threats to resisters and media exposers. The feminist wokesters promoting this new trend have become amazingly rich and powerful based on profiting from such creatures, guilty as sin of sexism and objectification and worse. Instead of targeting the perpetrators with money, however, they force them to target the customers.

Seems Victoria's Secret is going down that route based on its seedy past, too. As for its customers, too bad. They'll get wokester images and pushes for sales on this new sexless feminist model whether they like it or not. One wonders how much of the woke culture is based on this kind of cash to atone for actual crimes now seen from so many of them. They all want to escape the taint of responsibility for their exploitative acts. They're forcing wokesterism down the public's throat as a result and, very likely, will draw customer resentment, putting the customers last. Who says capitalism is all about giving customers what they actually want?

Do business schools no longer teach: "Know your customer." It was a key tenent of every entrepreneurial class I took in college. It was also a key focus of marketing classes. Yet it feels like many of today's business leaders completely forgo that. Lingerie is a commodity product. You can buy 100 different brands in a 100 different stores. But guys bought Victoria's Secret for their wives/girlfriends because of the brand name and the Angel image it portrayed. Seems strange to me to watch them throw a key market differentiator into the garbage.

would help if we have some pics

Classic pics yes.

vs-runway.jpg

Current ones, not so much.

victoria-secret.jpg

Reactions: Bitter Creek
Now do Fredericks of Hollywood
They certainly have a market opportunity here. Expand, take VS’s old customers and if VS’s rebranding fails you will have eliminated a competitor for good and probably can pick up their old store leases cheap if you want to and convert them.

Reactions: colcord
Come on. I'll bet there isn't a guy on here that has a wife under a size 10. (except for the mail order ones)

Let's be honest, menopause can be a bitch.

At closing time sometimes compromises were made (long ago)
I got drunker than Cooter Brown one night when I was a student at OSU and I woke up in bed with this women and I had no idea how I got there, could not remember a thing or her name. It was a total black out in terms of how I left the bar and met her. I was still dressed, just no shoes. I could feel my wallet still in my pocket, so that was a good feeling.

I woke up a little before she did, and when she woke up she was ready to go and she was a pretty good looking blonde. I was shocked by my unbelievably good drunken fortune. Things were looking up.

Problem was, I was becoming sicker than hell. She started to undo my belt and it was at that moment I had to rush to the toilet to puke and only made it to the sink. It was bad. It was a total mood killer. I told her I could gargle and brush my teeth (she had several tooth brushes), and be ready to go. She was not having any of it. Really frustrating because she was completely nude and woke up pretty frisky, I left with no number and no name. Walked home. Not the walk of shame exactly but it was a WTF just happened moment. I must have talked a good game and then I ended up puking the whole thing away.

Come on. I'll bet there isn't a guy on here that has a wife under a size 10. (except for the mail order ones)

Let's be honest, menopause can be a bitch.
Your going to lose that bet with a few on here I suspect.

My wife is a size 2, born in the USA, 59YO, and weighs about 5 pounds more than she did when graduated HS.

@davidallen the culture war is going swimmingly. I’m picturing all you freaks rolling into town on top of your tanks smiling to the crowds. It’s got to be exhilarating taking down the beautiful people and the structures that support them.

Reactions: davidallen
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT