ADVERTISEMENT

Uvalde shootings

BluegrassPoke

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2002
Frisco, TX
Man, my heart breaks for those parents that lost their 7, 8 or 9 year old kid today. I have a kid that is finishing up her 5th grade year. Non of those parents expected todays occurrences. I have no words but I would like for all of us to pray for these families.

Crazy sad no matter whether you knew anyone or not, what your stances on guns are, etc. Hits close to home with me personally bc I have a 4-5 year old starting Pre-K in August and my wife is terrified right now. Speaking of that, did anyone else have any dipshits on social media mocking people all night about Thoughts and Prayers? Or do I just need to do some house cleaning there?

Take away the guns and these kids would make bombs. Our society is broken and these kids reflect that. Fox just had a parent whose daughter was the first one killed at Columbine. He and his wife have a program that reaches out and identifies disaffected youth. They claim to have prevented a number of these events and suicides . I found the discussion very interesting and perhaps a starting point. Focusing on guns is a dead end as the last 20 plus years have proven.

I really want to see background checks improve. This kid had all sorts of issues prior to this, some which possibly could have been flagged. The supermarket shooter threatened to shoot up his school and went through a successful background check. We gotta fix that. I feel like that is something everyone can get behind.

Is it perfect? No. But it makes these sick fvcks have to work a little harder. I'll gladly wait longer to purchase my firearms (not a huge gun guy but have bought a few for home defense)

No dad, drug addict mother, bullied for being poor, self harm, stayed in his room playing violent video games. The day he bought the guns is way too late to get involved.

How many hours a day is your kid on the internet or tv? Those who should be embarrassed won’t answer.

2 hours of electronic time and all of it is monitored. This is a mental health problem IMO though and why this never gets fixed. We shamed mental health in the country for so long it will take a while before people aren't ashamed to ask for help. Anyone who would do this to 4th graders is sicker then a background check would find at only age 18 IMO. People need to report these people and nut just think oh he won't do it. If his parent or grand mother had reported his behavior then maybe he got on a radar that would have stopped the purchase but no one spoke up it seems like.

Reactions: R.D.Carr
I can't condone it, but on some level I can understand why somebody might consider killing somebody that bullied them, fired them, took their job/wife, etc.

What I can't begin to understand is why so many people in the past few decades have decided to take out their anger and frustration on school kids that have ZERO ties to them. How does somebody decide to do this, and how can they possibly act on it when they see the look of terror on those innocent children's faces? How is this even possible?

How have school children seemingly become the preferred target for mass shootings? This is heartbreaking and nothing about it makes any sense. God help us!

No dad, drug addict mother, bullied for being poor, self harm, stayed in his room playing violent video games. The day he bought the guns is way too late to get involved.

I agreed up until Video Games...If games are your tipping point, you're already mentally unhealthy.

Arm the schools, lock the schools during the day. If you have to leave the building, you don't go alone and you're checked before you come in.

Does it kind of feel like prison, maybe...But better to be safe.

Instead of spending money on something that benefits nobody, the federal government could easily fund a protection force for the entire country. Ex-Military would line up in droves I bet.

I can't condone it, but on some level I can understand why somebody might consider killing somebody that bullied them, fired them, took their job/wife, etc.

What I can't begin to understand is why so many people in the past few decades have decided to take out their anger and frustration on school kids that have ZERO ties to them. How does somebody decide to do this, and how can they possibly act on it when they see the look of terror on those innocent children's faces? How is this even possible?

How have school children seemingly become the preferred target for mass shootings? This is heartbreaking and nothing about it makes any sense. God help us!

their brains are rewired by being abandoned by the people evolution says should take care of them. Supposedly this guy visited the elementary school the week before. I’m completely speculating, but he maybe saw them as an ideal he was cheated of. The people that do not teach their kids morals are responsible for most of our pain and suffering. There will be no political argument over this the next few weeks. It will be guns, republicans and the nra.

How many hours a day is your kid on the internet or tv? Those who should be embarrassed won’t answer.

@HighStickHarry, I agree with your comments regarding "kids" today are consumed with being on the internet, as well as their phones. I have a 20 year old, as well as other family members who are younger, and their overall communications skills, are basically non existence because they live through social media. Social media actually determines how they few themselves.

Ask a kid today to walk to the local convenience store or basically anywhere, which was common, for I am guessing a good portion of this board, and you will get a are you crazy look. Our society is truly sad, no one wants to get involved with other people kids due to parents thinking their kids are just angels, and how dare you correct mine, etc...

Thanks for sharing the link surrounding the background of this kid, sure their were plenty of red flags, warning signs for this kid. I read/saw screenshots that this kid had with someone, the person claims did not know why this kid text her via Snapchat or Instagram, but the communication was scary/odd.

As others have noted, cannot and do not want to know how these heartbroken parents, grandparents, family members are feeling. Their whole lives have been changed by the actions of one individual. Its a shame that we as parents, can no longer feel safe in sending our little ones to school, to Elementary school.

I agreed up until Video Games...If games are your tipping point, you're already mentally unhealthy.

Arm the schools, lock the schools during the day. If you have to leave the building, you don't go alone and you're checked before you come in.

Does it kind of feel like prison, maybe...But better to be safe.

Instead of spending money on something that benefits nobody, the federal government could easily fund a protection force for the entire country. Ex-Military would line up in droves I bet.

Maybe there should be a background check for video games or outlaw them for minors.

I really want to see background checks improve. This kid had all sorts of issues prior to this, some which possibly could have been flagged. The supermarket shooter threatened to shoot up his school and went through a successful background check. We gotta fix that. I feel like that is something everyone can get behind.

Is it perfect? No. But it makes these sick fvcks have to work a little harder. I'll gladly wait longer to purchase my firearms (not a huge gun guy but have bought a few for home defense)

Along these lines, if it were me crafting policy, I'd be working/mandating post haste with the socials (media) on common sense limitations and authentications for the underage.

There are an infinite number of chat rooms, game chat, phone apps, e.t.c e.t.c where kid's brains get exposed to some of the most toxic stuff imaginable.

Last edited:
It’s part of American culture, now. Nothing will change.

Pivot from video games to chat room and message board type discussion.

This is an issue that has MANY mitigating layers to it.

All major company HQs and corp hubs, even small regional companies with a few hundred employees, have armed security. Many bank and hospital locations do as well. This is the most practical layer that should be looked at.

The 2nd layer, IMHO, is working with/regulating social media to curb what kids are exposed to. The ideas or the harassment are more dangerous than a gun.

After that it gets difficult due to political parties and what they track to. (My opinion, for starters, is craft legislation to further incentivize 2 parent households).

Mental health and pharmaceuticals as an industry are also huge areas that require scrutiny and are massive conversations in and of themselves.

That's the parent's job. They have content advisor warning labels on the boxes and online when you buy them. You can't fix issues that don't start with how your raised and your family staying together.

the percentage of parents not doing their job is too high. This guy hated his parents and he combined that with killing online. A lot. My kids and your kids could play call of duty all day and be fine. Just like they can own guns without background checks and be fine. It’s the sub species of losers who have sex without consequences that make these kids victims themselves before they are the perpetrator. This is the same with gang violence. Violent music and games doesn’t affect us, but it does the kids with no moral compass.

the percentage of parents not doing their job is too high. This guy hated his parents and he combined that with killing online. A lot. My kids and your kids could play call of duty all day and be fine. Just like they can own guns without background checks and be fine. It’s the sub species of losers who have sex without consequences that make these kids victims themselves before they are the perpetrator. This is the same with gang violence. Violent music and games doesn’t affect us, but it does the kids with no moral compass.
I get what you're saying, but until we stop incentivizing single parent households and hold people accountable....

Honestly, the mom and grandmother are just as guilty as this kid. They knew he had issues, refused to act, and here we are. They should be prosecuted.

Maybe there should be a background check for video games or outlaw them for minors.
Serious question, do you really think video games is the root to this evil?

mental illness is the culprit. You can’t sit there and act like any kid or person who shoots up a school isn’t mental unstable or mentally ill. Video games didn’t tip this kid into a category of mass school shooter.

man unstable home did. Not having parents who did their job and raise their kid. This same kid went to school and was bullied by kids. How about teach your kids to be nice to other kids. Not to just jump in when you see a kid being bullied and think it’s ok to pile on.

This kid like many other kids sit and suffer in silence because we as a nation have told kids they can’t speak out. They can’t be a snitch. It’s horrible what happened, it’s horrible that this kid decided to go to a elementary school and take innocent kids lives. You can never convince me otherwise that this isn’t a mental health issue.

Mental health is a major problem in our country and it’s mocked and pushed to the side. So many levels of mental health and it goes undressed for everyone to see but not give to craps about and it leads to so many self harm tragedies or tragedies like yesterday.

Serious question, do you really think video games is the root to this evil?

mental illness is the culprit. You can’t sit there and act like any kid or person who shoots up a school isn’t mental unstable or mentally ill. Video games didn’t tip this kid into a category of mass school shooter.

man unstable home did. Not having parents who did their job and raise their kid. This same kid went to school and was bullied by kids. How about teach your kids to be nice to other kids. Not to just jump in when you see a kid being bullied and think it’s ok to pile on.

This kid like many other kids sit and suffer in silence because we as a nation have told kids they can’t speak out. They can’t be a snitch. It’s horrible what happened, it’s horrible that this kid decided to go to a elementary school and take innocent kids lives. You can never convince me otherwise that this isn’t a mental health issue.

Mental health is a major problem in our country and it’s mocked and pushed to the side. So many levels of mental health and it goes undressed for everyone to see but not give to craps about and it leads to so many self harm tragedies or tragedies like yesterday.

Root? No. There are lots of things in society that we deal with because the majority of people handle it fine. Alcohol, marijuana, bad drivers, violent music, video games, atheism.

I’m going to say this kid would not have been mentally ill if his parents had protected him and raised him right. Or if he would have been adopted by a loving family. Was his grandma? Who knows. The grandpa couldn’t have guns in the house because he was a felon. Video games are just as to blame as the guns and by that I mean they are secondary to the human relationships that causes these crimes. In the wrong hands or circumstances they are terrible for society. But what we choose to focus on in these times is the guns and when this kid made his mind up, those victims were already dead. No law was going to stop this.

Shit the amount of Eminem songs me and buddies would blast. And the actual words in them

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
Shit the amount of Eminem songs me and buddies would blast. And the actual words in them

And I as well. But we had parents, church, extended families as I assume you did. I recently had satellite radio for three months. The amount of dead n words I heard about on the rap channels was endless. Now instead of you and I hearing that with our buddies, picture yourself in your room alone after being bullied all day, no parent to love you, 10 years old and cutting yourself. Should we ban that music or deal with the consequences of the small percentage chance it is a catalyst to violence?

And I as well. But we had parents, church, extended families as I assume you did. I recently had satellite radio for three months. The amount of dead n words I heard about on the rap channels was endless. Now instead of you and I hearing that with our buddies, picture yourself in your room alone after being bullied all day, no parent to love you, 10 years old and cutting yourself. Should we ban that music or deal with the consequences of the small percentage chance it is a catalyst to violence?
No we shouldn’t ban the music, we should have more options for kids. We should be able to speak to our kids and let them speak to us, but the key to all of this is listening and being present in your kids lives.

But so many kids don’t get the luxury that we had (have) kids these days have no outlets and no help. To many kids are victims of their circumstances, but I have no idea how to fix that.

Most of us on here also grew up in a time when the most horrible thing we experienced or saw at an early age was that one kid that didnt have a problem lighting a firecracker strapped to a frog.

We experienced LESS, because an infinite number of experiences weren't a click or swipe away. If we were angry or depressed we didnt click and swipe until we found something or someone that spoke to that.

We had our own thoughts, or maybe interactions with friends and family (mostly)...and I'd surmise that some of the kids that "cooled off" or thought/talked their way through things pre-internet, pre-social media, might have turned out horribly differently in today's environment.

It would be a start, but I would like to see the analytics on these shooters and the games and music they had in their playlist.

I am a huge 2nd amendment guy, but I am also for limits to certain platforms. For shotguns and 22's and such, sell them all day to 18 year old's, but for AR platforms, have a more detailed background check. I wouldn't be opposed to limiting AR's to those 21 and older. I don't know if that would help or not, but we have to do something.

As a parent, both my kids have shotguns, rifles, and AR's. BUT all those are locked in my gun safe and they can't get to them as they don't have access. My wife and I made that decision many years ago to prevent them from doing something stupid and to keep those guns away from any friends.

I agree with the comment that the parents/grandparents are just a guilty. They need to be parents and make the authorities aware. They know better than anyone that they have a troubled child.

Sorry, just sounding off. I'm heart broken. I can't imagine a parent dropping of their 2-4th grader at school and then never getting to see them again because of the actions a sick son of bitch. School is supposed to be a safe place, especially at that age.

their brains are rewired by being abandoned by the people evolution says should take care of them. Supposedly this guy visited the elementary school the week before. I’m completely speculating, but he maybe saw them as an ideal he was cheated of. The people that do not teach their kids morals are responsible for most of our pain and suffering. There will be no political argument over this the next few weeks. It will be guns, republicans and the nra.

What poor judgement that Beto would show up at the news conference not 24hrs after the tragedy to politicize and promote his anti gun agenda. Had to make this his "I told you so" moment. Sad man

Thoughts and Prayers would really solve all these issues imho.
About the same as very vague, "stricter gun laws" jargon instead of specific remedies to a gun law or solution for mental health. Both are probably just ways for certain groups to feel better and deal with emotions they're having. Neither really solving the issue overall, but one is trying to at least be cordial. The other trying to be unreasonably demeaning. I'm not usually sensitive and appreciate dark humor, but people saying those types of things aren't even having any humor

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT