ADVERTISEMENT

US Trails

Solid first match. He’s clearly the better wrestler.
A legend goes down tonight, Kyle Dake beats Jordan Burroughs 2 matches to 0. He was too quick for Jordan just like Alex's last big match with Dake where Dake was too quick for Alex.

A legend goes down tonight, Kyle Dake beats Jordan Burroughs 2 matches to 0. He was too quick for Jordan just like Alex's last big match with Dake where Dake was too quick for Alex.
Agree with everything you said.
I should have been more clear in my comments...although it applies to Dake as well...I was referring to Oliver vs McKenna in the post about the solid 1st match.

Agree with everything you said.
I should have been more clear in my comments...although it applies to Dake as well...I was referring to Oliver vs McKenna in the post about the solid 1st match.
No, I knew that was what you were writing about Oliver's match. It was just the response I used to reply to about Dake's win. No problem.

Reactions: JAY45
Jordan wins 5 to 2 but now must qualify the weight at the last chance worlds in Bulgaria.
Also Gilman beats Vito by pin and then I think 2 to 2 by criteria. Vito came close to a takedown when he went desperate at the end. David Taylor beat Bo Nickel 2 matches to 0 and will go to the Olympics.

Reactions: JAY45
Did Daton wrestle again after his loss? Just curious if any results later on as well as AJ’s results.

Right why the forfeit? What good does that do? I understand an injury but that makes people look like a quitter.

You’d have to ask him. Maybe he had an injury. Maybe he wanted to avoid an injury. Maybe he had no desire to place 3rd. Whatever the reason, it is his and I won’t hold it against him.

I don’t hold it against him.i like the guy.seems like another match against high quality wrestlers would only help down the road.hopefully he is healthy.

I don’t hold it against him.i like the guy.seems like another match against high quality wrestlers would only help down the road.hopefully he is healthy.

you have to be in the right frame of mind to scrap at that level

there’s zero margin

Problem I see is he doesn’t have any high level training partners. Pich was his last good partner. If we had a decent RTC, he would have been ready. Hope he doesn’t seek out better partners and we can get him better athletes to make him and the rest of our team stay at home

Problem I see is he doesn’t have any high level training partners. Pich was his last good partner. If we had a decent RTC, he would have been ready. Hope he doesn’t seek out better partners and we can get him better athletes to make him and the rest of our team stay at home
They mentioned having in very high level French guy who's been in the room for a while. Specifically to work with Daton on technique.

I know this doesn't fit the narrative.

Reactions: turfpoke
Not uncommon to see forfeit in the consolation bracket of the trials. There are some benefits to getting the #3 slot, but it won’t matter much this year with a shortened international season. These guys are fighting for the #1 spot. There were probably more forfeits than matches contested in the consols.

Vito and j
They mentioned having in very high level French guy who's been in the room for a while. Specifically to work with Daton on technique.

No, that guy has been awesome, but he needs active wrestlers. Problem that I see is that if we can’t meet his needs, then he will go somewhere where they will, right or wrong. It happens all the time.

Vito and j

No, that guy has been awesome, but he needs active wrestlers. Problem that I see is that if we can’t meet his needs, then he will go somewhere where they will, right or wrong. It happens all the time.
I meant Vito and yianni as an example of progression two high level wrestlers, btw

Something that the Dagestani wrestlers do is their top level athletes all practice together in the same facility. Could you imagine that and does that mean you explain to some degree why, in such a small area, they produce such high level wrestlers

He does and he does a great job for us. It still pares in comparison to what the other high level guys get being involved in their RTC’s (Gilman, Vito, Suriano and Lee specifically).

You could add RBY who beat Daton in the NCAA’s as another who could be a potential problem if he can make 57kg.

I really hope it doesn’t become the problem some quietly think it might.

Last edited:
The good thing is that Daton’s dad runs the RTC. I’m sure he is out doing everything he can to make things better.

Problem that I see is that if we can’t meet his needs, then he will go somewhere where they will, right or wrong. It happens all the time.

Speaking of guys leaving, it was interesting to hear the post championship interviews by Snyder & Gilman.

They were very positive about PSU's RTC. I know it's easy to say good things after you win, but they made some specific comments that show PSU is doing things better than Ohio St. and Iowa.

He does and he does a great job for us. It still pares in comparison to what the other high level guys get being involved in their RTC’s (Gilman, Vito, Suriano and Lee specifically).

You could add RBY who beat Daton in the NCAA’s as another who could be a potential problem if he can make 57kg.

Daton's dad runs the RTC no? There is no doubt we need more high-level guys in the room. Especially, at the lower weights for Daton. At the same time, OSU hired who the Fixs wanted to oversee that process. The Fix family.

Daton's dad runs the RTC no? There is no doubt we need more high-level guys in the room. Especially, at the lower weights for Daton. At the same time, OSU hired who the Fixs wanted to oversee that process. The Fix family.

Yes he does. Probably not the most ideal situation but his dad is really respected within the youth and HS levels of FS.

We need to fundraise to bring in a few more guys no question.

Yes he does. Probably not the most ideal situation but his dad is really respected within the youth and HS levels of FS.

We need to fundraise to bring in a few more guys no question.

I say this as someone not overly concerned with Daton's development. I think basically having two weekends of competitive wrestling and then jumping right into NCAAs and Olympic Trials is harder than we all thought. I think in Folkstyle Daton look much improved since last time we saw him (until the finals). I also think the list of wrestlers who have made an Olympic team by the time they are 22 or 23 is incredibly, incredibly small. I'm not worried about Daton.

But if there is concern over Daton's development you also have to say there probably needs to be some inward reflection. The reason Daton had to sit for a year was because of his own actions and his dad runs the RTC. I know you think highly of Daton's dad as a coach. You know this stuff better than me so I don't doubt it. I've also heard the opposite from other people who know this stuff about the quality of that hire.

We need better lower weight talent in the room period. I just think any discussion of Oklahoma State's current RTC setup holding Daton back has to begin with the simple fact Daton's dad is in charge of the RTC. We hired him because that is what the family wanted.

I'm not knocking the setup because it has worked to this point for Daton and I think the kid is still going to win 2-3 NCAA titles and be a gold medalist on the world stage. However, any concern over Daton's ability to develop at OSU can't be separated from the fact his dad is the RTC coach.

This is his life long goal and he fell short. He is probably devastated.

Speaking of guys leaving, it was interesting to hear the post championship interviews by Snyder & Gilman.

They were very positive about PSU's RTC. I know it's easy to say good things after you win, but they made some specific comments that show PSU is doing things better than Ohio St. and Iowa.
those were examples I was going to use. I don’t see Cael fighting fair and he shouldn’t. I see schools like PSU, Cornell, and probably Michigan as schools thinking upside the box.

I say this as someone not overly concerned with Daton's development. I think basically having two weekends of competitive wrestling and then jumping right into NCAAs and Olympic Trials is harder than we all thought. I think in Folkstyle Daton look much improved since last time we saw him (until the finals). I also think the list of wrestlers who have made an Olympic team by the time they are 22 or 23 is incredibly, incredibly small. I'm not worried about Daton.

But if there is concern over Daton's development you also have to say there probably needs to be some inward reflection. The reason Daton had to sit for a year was because of his own actions and his dad runs the RTC. I know you think highly of Daton's dad as a coach. You know this stuff better than me so I don't doubt it. I've also heard the opposite from other people who know this stuff about the quality of that hire.

We need better lower weight talent in the room period. I just think any discussion of Oklahoma State's current RTC setup holding Daton back has to begin with the simple fact Daton's dad is in charge of the RTC. We hired him because that is what the family wanted.

I'm not knocking the setup because it has worked to this point for Daton and I think the kid is still going to win 2-3 NCAA titles and be a gold medalist on the world stage. However, any concern over Daton's ability to develop at OSU can't be separated from the fact his dad is the RTC coach.

I think Datons dad is good for Oklahoma and regional recruiting. He wouldn’t be the guy I would hire to run and really grow our RTC. He wouldn’t be in the top 5 of guys I would consider, I’m also not a big fan of him as a person but he does have a strong reputation in the youth circles.

He would make a better director of ops or recruiting coordinator than head of the RTC IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Air_Thurman
I think Datons dad is good for Oklahoma and regional recruiting. He wouldn’t be the guy I would hire to run and really grow our RTC. He wouldn’t be in the top 5 of guys I would consider, I’m also not a big fan of him as a person but he does have a strong reputation in the youth circles.

He would make a better sororities of ops or recruiting coordinator than head of the RTC IMO.

And to be clear I'm not knocking the guy at all. I have no idea how much he has played a role in it but you can't deny the levels we've jumped in recruiting since he took over the RTC.

I just think if you want to talk about the RTC's role in Daton's development (good and bad) you have to start with the the simple fact the Fixs wanted to run the RTC.

Reactions: osu2082
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT