ADVERTISEMENT

US Trails

Not at one time that I can tell. I have them at assignments pulled up on Track and am jumping from nbcsn and peacock.

Daton falls 6-5 to Vito. Was in on a very close TD at the very end but got started to late. Got in a 6-0 hole. Gutted for him.

He’s one of the best wrestlers but seems to be cautious in big matches. I’d prefer to go down swinging but that’s just me, never been in a big match like that ever.

Reactions: BigD_cowboy
Tough sport. All of these wrestlers have the dream of an Olympic gold medal. Only a few will ever accomplish that goal.

Reactions: Inky29
Tough sport. All of these wrestlers have the dream of an Olympic gold medal. Only a few will ever accomplish that goal.
I agree lots of very good wrestlers today had their dream crushed. An example was Jordan beating Yianni and McKenna who has never won an NCAA Championship taking out Zain who won 3 Championships. Also Jason Nolf a 3 timer got pounded by Dake. Then you have Cox not making weight for the Olympics. Lots of pain and disappointment in wrestling. Yes for us fans also.

Last edited:
I agree lots of very good wrestlers today had their dream crushed. An example was was Jordan beating Yianni and McKenna who has never won an NCAA Championship taking out Zain who won 3 Championships. Also Jason Nolf a 3 timer got pounded by Dake. Then you have Cox not making weight for the Olympics. Lots of pain and disappointment in wrestling. Yes for us fans also.
No doubt about your comments. But damn, fix had it set up for him with Lee out and didn’t get aggressive. Let’s be honest, with Lee in mix moving forward, will be very difficult to advance

Fix issues is mental he just needs to be more aggressive . He will never reach the top sitting back.

That was strange. I've never seen someone take it to Daton in freestyle the way Vito did the first 4 minutes. He was getting to his legs cleanly and not allowing Daton to scramble. Has Vito improved that much? Was Daton rusty from the layoff? Weird.

Have to think Daton will try for Worlds in October now. Many others also probably - Alex, Yianni, Retherford, Suriano, etc. Stieber won his World title during an Olympic year.

That was strange. I've never seen someone take it to Daton in freestyle the way Vito did the first 4 minutes. He was getting to his legs cleanly and not allowing Daton to scramble. Has Vito improved that much? Was Daton rusty from the layoff? Weird.

Have to think Daton will try for Worlds in October now. Many others also probably - Alex, Yianni, Retherford, Suriano, etc. Stieber won his World title during an Olympic year.
Fix has been giving up his leg way too often. You knew the elite guys weren't going to let him get by with that.

The last time they met it was the same thing. Vito is a very good offensive wrestler with serious length. In that match Daton also got down 6-0 but stormed back to win like 14-6 or something close to that.

Couldn’t do that this time and yes Vito has had a very good FS year while Daton sat due to his suspension.

The last time they met it was the same thing. Vito is a very good offensive wrestler with serious length. In that match Daton also got down 6-0 but stormed back to win like 14-6 or something close to that.

Couldn’t do that this time and yes Vito has had a very good FS year while Daton sat due to his suspension.

I know the announcer Dave Mirkitani made that comparison, but this seemed different in my opinion.

In 2019, Vito jumped out to that lead with a body lock throw for 4 and a takedown after he literally dove at Daton's legs off the whistle. This match was different. Vito had multiple clean set ups that Daton couldn't defend.

Vito also said something interesting after the match - he thought he "could win, but wouldn't win". But then in the opening seconds, his arm drag single worked and he thought he might actually win.

Reactions: 100TonsofOrangeFury
I know the announcer Dave Mirkitani made that comparison, but this seemed different in my opinion.

In 2019, Vito jumped out to that lead with a body lock throw for 4 and a takedown after he literally dove at Daton's legs off the whistle. This match was different. Vito had multiple clean set ups that Daton couldn't defend.

Vito also said something interesting after the match - he thought he "could win, but wouldn't win". But then in the opening seconds, his arm drag single worked and he thought he might actually win.

The most realistic explanation is just that Daton sat on the sidelines for a year while Vito wrestled and wrestled really well on the FS circuit and it showed yesterday.

If I want to be an alarmist (don’t think it’s the real issue) is that Daton hasn’t progressed as much as the two guys he he just lost to and who are both with programs with much better RTC’s.

The most realistic explanation is just that Daton sat on the sidelines for a year while Vito wrestled and wrestled really well on the FS circuit and it showed yesterday.

If I want to be an alarmist (don’t think it’s the real issue) is that Daton hasn’t progressed as much as the two guys he he just lost to and who are both with programs with much better RTC’s.

I would say both are true to some degree.

Daton needs to develop some more offensive attacks IMO. He's good with underhooks, but still needs a big time leg attack. He tried one high crotch that I remember and Vito stuffed it. Hard to win a Senior World medal relying primarily on counters. Just as important, he needs to open up in big matches. Even he has acknowledged it.

For AJ, this was all a learning experience. He hasn't really wrestled much freestyle since winning a Cadet bronze in 2018. Plus going from 197 up to 97 kg in 2 weeks is tough.

Reactions: osu2082
Order of bouts. Mat 2 will be televised on NBCsn. The others on peacock.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT