ADVERTISEMENT

U23 World Championships This Week

Wrassler17

All-American
Mar 20, 2017
The U23 World Championships are this week in Bydogszcz, Poland. Trackwrestling will be streaming. Some info below. Go USA!

Daton wrestles on Saturday, November 25th. Some of his competition is expected to include:
Andrii Yatsenko (UKR) - Daton defeated him for Bronze at the 2016 Junior Worlds. Yatsenko lost to Gilman at the 2017 Senior Worlds and ended up taking bronze.
Suleyman Atli (TUR) - Placed 16th at the 2016 Olympics and 15th at the 2017 Senior Worlds.
Khasan Badrudinov (RUS) - Defeated Daton in the first round of the 2016 Junior Worlds and ended up taking silver.

Schedule (Central Time):
Tuesday, Nov. 21 Greco-Roman – 71 kg, 75 kg, 85 kg, 98 kg (Mossing, Porter, Stanghill, Smith)
3 a.m. – Qualification rounds and repechage
11 a.m. – Medal matches
Wednesday, Nov. 22 Greco-Roman – 59 kg, 66 kg, 80 kg, 130 kg (Roberts, Sancho, Bey, Hancock)
11 a.m. – Medal matches
Thursday, Nov. 23 Women’s freestyle – 55 kg, 58 kg, 63 kg, 75 kg (Parrish, Black, Nelson, Watters)
11 a.m. – Medal matches
Friday, Nov. 24 Women’s freestyle – 48 kg, 53 kg, 60 kg, 69 kg (Pfau, Fearnside, Miracle, Molinari)
11 a.m. – Medal matches
Saturday, Nov. 25 Men’s freestyle – 57 kg, 61kg, 86 kg, 125 kg (Fix, McKee, Brooks, Kroells)
11 a.m. – Medal matches
Sunday, Nov. 26 Men’s freestyle – 65 kg, 70 kg, 74 kg, 97 kg (McKenna, Lewis, Martinez, Walz)
11 a.m. – Medal matches

Media Guide:
http://content.themat.com/events/2017U23WorldsMediaGuide.pdf

Expected Competition:
http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/PortalPost.jsp?postId=629297009

Last edited:
UWW site has each day starting at 10 am local with finals slated for 6 pm local in Poland. That would be 3 am and 11 am central...

Reactions: Wrassler17
First, I'm not very knowledgeable in wrestling...but because of this site I'm now keeping up with the sport. Been to one OSU dual and even went to a high school match last year...no family or friend wrestling. Now with the apologies out of the way...I don't understand World Championships. Are there more than one? Is U23 just another tournament for wrestlers around the world...or is it THE best. Seems like I see Cadet, Junior, Senior, U23, etc. Kinda confused on what it means to be a World Champion. Any help?

First, I'm not very knowledgeable in wrestling...but because of this site I'm now keeping up with the sport. Been to one OSU dual and even went to a high school match last year...no family or friend wrestling. Now with the apologies out of the way...I don't understand World Championships. Are there more than one? Is U23 just another tournament for wrestlers around the world...or is it THE best. Seems like I see Cadet, Junior, Senior, U23, etc. Kinda confused on what it means to be a World Champion. Any help?
Glad you are following the sport
Each are age groups.
Cadets are 15-17 years old
Juniors are 17-20
U23 are 19-23
Seniors 20+. Seniors are the best of the best and make up the Olympic teams.
Some of the overlaps are what allow guys like Daton to potentially be World Champs twice in one year.

Women's freestyle wrapped up today. Still no hardware for the US. Amy Fearnside (53 kg) and Kayla Miracle (60 kg) both dropped close bronze medal matches and ended up taking 5th.

MFS brackets are up on Track.
Daton's possible path to the finals at 57 kg:
Parvis Ibragimov (AZE) in round one. He took 5th at this year's European U23s.
Reza Atrinagharch (IRI) in round two. He took 13th at this year's Senior Worlds.
Andrii Yatsenko (UKR) in the quarters. He took bronze at this year's Senior Worlds.
Reineri Ortega (CUB) in the semis. USA Wrestling said he is a possible sleeper.
Suleyman Atli (TUR) in the finals. He took bronze at this year's Senior European Championships and then 15th at Senior Worlds.

Also wrestling tomorrow are:
Mitch McKee (61 kg) has Ozdemir (TUR) in his first match.
Sammy Brooks (86 kg) has Kalashnikov (ISR) in his first match.
Michael Kroells (125 kg) has Batirmurzaev (KAZ) in his first match.

Link:
https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2017/November/24/U23-FS1-weigh-in

Rough day so far for MFS. Daton lost his first round match 5-2 to Ibragimov (AZE). Ibragimov needs to win his semi for Daton to be pulled into repechage. McKee, Brooks, and Kroells also lost and are waiting to see if they will be pulled into repechage as well.

Ibragimov (AZE) lost to Ortega (CUB) on a last second takedown eliminating Daton.

McKee, Brooks, and Kroells were also eliminated.

was gonna be a tall order for fix
looking forward to more opps for him

Ibragimov was no slouch. He ended up winning bronze. He beat Yatsenko (UKR) in the quarters and was 5 seconds away from beating Ortega (CUB) in the semis. Ortega went on to win gold.

Daton was his normal aggressive self, controlling the center of the mat and constantly pressuring forward. His opponent was a savvy wrestler that managed the match well, patiently waiting for the spots when he had to score. His offense basically consisted of a snap down go behind. He tried it numerous times in all his matches today. Against Daton, he scored 3x with it, twice while he was on the shot clock. Daton was clearly the aggressor, but he had trouble getting in on Ibragimov, who was hand fighting, down blocking and backing up almost the entire match. Daton's lone score happened with about 15 seconds left in the first period when he blasted Ibragimov off the mat with a double leg takedown. Unfortunately, he never got a chance on top, so we didn't get to see how his trap arm works against senior level wrestlers (I think it will work just fine).

No doubt Daton will learn from this and get better. He lost early in his first Cadet World tournament and his first Junior World tournament, then made dramatic improvements. Every loss he has ever suffered has propelled him to new levels. This will be no different.

I think part of the day one freestyle lack of success was not only great competition but also lack of time acclimate to the time zone. Another day would have been great just look how much improved our performance was on day two.

Reactions: osu2082
I think part of the day one freestyle lack of success was not only great competition but also lack of time acclimate to the time zone. Another day would have been great just look how much improved our performance was on day two.
USA fared better the second day. Richie Lewis at 70kg won it all dec. Vinod of India 3-1 in the finals. Joe McKenna at 65kg placed third. Imar placed 5th at 74kg and Walz placed 5th at 97kg.

Reactions: Rdcldad
Ibragimov was no slouch. He ended up winning bronze. He beat Yatsenko (UKR) in the quarters and was 5 seconds away from beating Ortega (CUB) in the semis. Ortega went on to win gold.

Daton was his normal aggressive self, controlling the center of the mat and constantly pressuring forward. His opponent was a savvy wrestler that managed the match well, patiently waiting for the spots when he had to score. His offense basically consisted of a snap down go behind. He tried it numerous times in all his matches today. Against Daton, he scored 3x with it, twice while he was on the shot clock. Daton was clearly the aggressor, but he had trouble getting in on Ibragimov, who was hand fighting, down blocking and backing up almost the entire match. Daton's lone score happened with about 15 seconds left in the first period when he blasted Ibragimov off the mat with a double leg takedown. Unfortunately, he never got a chance on top, so we didn't get to see how his trap arm works against senior level wrestlers (I think it will work just fine).

No doubt Daton will learn from this and get better. He lost early in his first Cadet World tournament and his first Junior World tournament, then made dramatic improvements. Every loss he has ever suffered has propelled him to new levels. This will be no different.

thx for your input

Men's freestyle wrapped up today and claimed 3 medals for the USA. Joey McKenna (65 kg) and Ty Walz (97 kg) won bronze. And in his first international tournament, Richie Lewis (70 kg) won gold!
Isaiah Martinez (74 kg) lost his bronze medal match and ended up taking 5th.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT