ADVERTISEMENT

Trying To Make Sense Of It All

Ponca Dan

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2003
Nothing about yesterday's vote totals makes sense to me. If the polls are to be believed it would appear the populace has little to no trust in the Biden agenda, dissatisfied in inflation, weak border security, rampant crime, etc. So why would they vote for representatives who promise to continue down that path? The only answer I can come up with is their distaste in Donald Trump overrides all other concerns. Anyone else have any ideas?

Nothing about yesterday's vote totals makes sense to me. If the polls are to be believed it would appear the populace has little to no trust in the Biden agenda, dissatisfied in inflation, weak border security, rampant crime, etc. So why would they vote for representatives who promise to continue down that path? The only answer I can come up with is their distaste in Donald Trump overrides all other concerns. Anyone else have any ideas?
If you believe the leftist pundits it all about killing innocent, defenseless unborn babies.

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
Abortion. The Republicans were painted with a stance of having "zero tolerance" for abortion which is just as extreme as CRT or Open borders. The idiots in Republican leadership keep thinking that the way to be the ever shifting left is to go further right, and its simply moronic.

Abortion. The Republicans were painted with a stance of having "zero tolerance" for abortion which is just as extreme as CRT or Open borders. The idiots in Republican leadership keep thinking that the way to be the ever shifting left is to go further right, and its simply moronic.
I guess I'd need to know what you mean by "left" and "right." If the left is the standard bearer for collectivism and the right is the standard bearer for individualism, I would disagree that Republican leadership should become even more collectivist than they already are. It does seem to me the general population has decided it prefers the promises of collectivism and is pulling all politics in that direction. As Ayn Rand put it in her great novel from 1957, it may be time for Atlas to shrug.

Last edited:
It's pretty simple. Polls suck and can't be trusted. I can give you a ton of examples that support this. I don't know if there is a way to fix this problem. You can find plenty of polls that "got it right", but that could be luck/coincidence. So many polls have been way off, in the last 8 years, and it is becoming more and more common with every new election.

It's pretty simple. Polls suck and can't be trusted. I can give you a ton of examples that support this. I don't know if there is a way to fix this problem. You can find plenty of polls that "got it right", but that could be luck/coincidence. So many polls have been way off, in the last 8 years, and it is becoming more and more common with every new election.
I think you are largely correct. But it's hard to think the polls could be wrong about the public's feelings about the direction the county is headed. Who in their right mind would cheer for high inflation, etc.? And why would they vote for people who show no interest in bringing it to an end? So the only options I see are: "yea, we love what's happening in the country today," or "I hate Trump so thoroughly I'd rather see the country collapse than have his ideas put in place." I am having a lot of trouble reconciling the mindset.

Who in their right mind would cheer for high inflation, etc.? And why would they vote for people who show no interest in bringing it to an end?
Maybe I missed the GOP messaging on how they are going to rein it in and get the economy turned around. They haven't proposed any solutions other than sunsetting social security and medicare, which is a moronic plank to step out on. Currently, inflation is a global issue, related to the pandemic, supply chain issues, and Russia's war on Ukraine. Apparently there are more voters who understand that, than there are voters who blindly follow right wing media and blame Biden/the Dems. It may get marginally worse in the next 3-4 months, but I suspect it (and the economy in general), will then head back in a positive direction. Of course, the Dems will claim it is due to their economic policies, and you will be telling us that it was inevitable due to moving further past the pandemic, and that the Dems deserve no credit.

Reactions: my_2cents
But it's hard to think the polls could be wrong about the public's feelings about the direction the county is headed.
If you are an American who didn't like the Dobbs decision, who believes there are serious and real threats to our democracy right now, who has to listen to election deniers rant and rave about the 2020 election, who watched what took place on January 6 along with the Republican excuse-making for it, and who isn't happy about prices and gas (but doesn't necessarily blame Biden or the Democrats), do you think you would say the country is on the right track right now?

Probably not. But that doesn't mean this American hates Biden, disagrees with him on everything, and/or blames him for everything. This American could very well believe Biden is his/her best option to get back on the right course moving forward regarding these issues. Especially when compared with Trump and the others being offered up by the right.

Just because one says they don't like where the country is potentially headed doesn't automatically mean they don't like Biden or his leadership.

Who in their right mind would cheer for high inflation, etc.? And why would they vote for people who show no interest in bringing it to an end?
No one cheers for high inflation. However, not everyone blames Biden and the Democrats for this. They also saw Biden and the Democrats trying to do something about it and Republicans voting against everything. They see Republicans complaining a lot but offering no real solutions. Maybe many Americans think Republicans are the ones showing no interest in bringing it to an end.

So, they elect to stay the course with Biden.

I am having a lot of trouble reconciling the mindset.
In order for you to reconcile this, you are going to have to let go of some of your presuppositions. This is something, so far, you have been unable to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Been Jammin
Maybe I missed the GOP messaging on how they are going to rein it in and get the economy turned around. They haven't proposed any solutions other than sunsetting social security and medicare, which is a moronic plank to step out on. Currently, inflation is a global issue, related to the pandemic, supply chain issues, and Russia's war on Ukraine. Apparently there are more voters who understand that, than there are voters who blindly follow right wing media and blame Biden/the Dems. It may get marginally worse in the next 3-4 months, but I suspect it (and the economy in general), will then head back in a positive direction. Of course, the Dems will claim it is due to their economic policies, and you will be telling us that it was inevitable due to moving further past the pandemic, and that the Dems deserve no credit.
You may be right. But what policies are the Democrats putting in place to alleviate world-wide inflation, supply chain issues, resolve the war in Ukraine, etc.? How will defunding the police bring an end to the crime wave we are living through? What Demoratic policy will bring an end to the massive immigration debacle on our southern border? I know the Republicans put forth a new "Contract With America," but I have not paid attention to what it said. (I'm neither a right-winger nor a Republican.) All of those things add up to - or should add up to - dissatisfaction with the people responsible. And yet it does not seem to have had that effect. I find that extremely perplexing. And, by the way, I have/had no expectations the Republicans would do much better (although it's hard to imagine them doing worse). As other left-wingers on this board have said, it is obvious a majority of voters are not as concerned about the fate of our civilization as I think they ought to be. I assume you include yourself in that category?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT