ADVERTISEMENT

Trump selects Herman Cain to Fed

Trump’s recommendation of Herman Cain is utterly reckless

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...?utm_source=reddit.com&utm_term=.5d63ddaa674a

Editorial Board
April 6 at 5:19 PM

IT CAN take years, or decades, to establish a good reputation — but only minutes to destroy one. To consider the importance, and fragility, of reputation generally, and then to consider how vital is the Federal Reserve’s reputation for political independence and technical expertise, both to the United States and the world, is to grasp the utter recklessness of President Trump’s recommendation of Herman Cain for a position on the Fed’s Board of Governors.

Mr. Trump seems restless with current Fed monetary policy, which is too tight for his liking, though Chairman Jerome H. Powell is a respected figure the president himself appointed — and the economy remains in good shape, as demonstrated by Friday’s jobs report, which put the unemployment rate at only 3.8 percent. For a president to couple such criticism with an attempt to appoint two new governors known mainly for their ideological and personal loyalty to him raises the hideous specter of a Trump-packed Fed that would be constantly wary of rubbing the politician in chief the wrong way.

This is doubly true when the latest announced appointee, after tax-cut enthusiast Stephen Moore, is Mr. Cain, the former 2012 GOP presidential primary candidate, whose bid flamed out amid charges of sexual harassment. Mr. Cain’s conservative Republican activism followed a relatively conventional career in corporate America, including stints as chief executive of Godfather’s Pizza and of the restaurant trade association. For four years in the mid-1990s, he served in a largely honorific and advisory position as a director of the Federal Reserve Bank in Kansas City. Mr. Cain more recently has headed something called Americans Fighting Back PAC, whose purpose, according to its website, is “to carry out a National Messaging & Public Relations Campaign to facilitate and grow a national grassroots movement of educated and informed voters to engage and fight for the President’s policies and freedom agenda to win in 2020.”

Keep Reading

So Mr. Cain’s political fealty to Mr. Trump is ironclad — stronger, certainly, than his expertise in economics or financial markets, usual qualifications for the Fed Board of Governors. For example, Mr. Cain in 2012 called for a return to a gold-linked dollar, writing: “Gold is kryptonite to big-spending politicians. It is to the moochers and looters in government what sunlight and garlic are to vampires.” Even unembellished by demagogic rhetoric, Mr. Cain’s idea contradicts the consensus among economic professionals that the gold standard — under which the Fed would agree to exchange some of its gold for paper dollars at a fixed rate — is destructive and outmoded. It would limit the Fed’s ability to expand the money supply to fight recessions, with potentially catastrophic results. Many blame the gold standard of the 1930s for deepening the Great Depression.

The Fed’s integrity has been threatened before, by presidents and by members of Congress seeking to bend its awesome powers to their short-term partisan advantage. So far, it has generally withstood those attempts, arguably emerging even stronger. Mr. Trump seems determined to mount another attack, which might succeed unless the Republicans who control the Senate put the nation’s interest above his and refuse to go along.

I don't disagree with the premise that the Fed should be apolitical, but lets not pretend that Trump is the first for this. Yellen was appointed because she supported holding rates at zero for extended periods and was strongly resistant to raising rates. Every president in my lifetime has wanted a Fed that supported looser monetary policies and has appointed Fed reps that aligned to that position.

I don't disagree with the premise that the Fed should be apolitical, but lets not pretend that Trump is the first for this. Yellen was appointed because she supported holding rates at zero for extended periods and was strongly resistant to raising rates. Every president in my lifetime has wanted a Fed that supported looser monetary policies and has appointed Fed reps that aligned to that position.
Whataboutisim? How do past presidents mistakes make the current president’s ok? Madness.

Does the fact that Herman Cain was once Chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of KC’s Board not enterinto the equation? Or the fact that he spent about a decade all told on its board or the board of its Omaha branch?

Whataboutisim? How do past presidents mistakes make the current president’s ok? Madness.

It’s flattering that you continuously expect the right to take the high road and do things by the book. That doesn’t work when it’s one sided. I hope he puts roger stone up for nomination of the seat.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
It’s flattering that you continuously expect the right to take the high road and do things by the book. That doesn’t work when it’s one sided. I hope he puts roger stone up for nomination of the seat.
Hope in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up faster.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Explain Herman’s plan. The one for the border.
You're an idiot, he was obviously encouraging them to develop a plan like Herman did for taxes. Only a moron or a dishonest person would claim they were talking about a specific plan from Herman.

You're an idiot, he was obviously encouraging them to develop a plan like Herman did for taxes. Only a moron or a dishonest person would claim they were talking about a specific plan from Herman.
Trump need Hermain Cain to come into the Situation Room while talking national security with generals because of Cain’s 9-9-9 tax Plan? How does this make any sense at all? The generals didn’t know they needed a plan until trump recommended Cain’s Tax plan as an example? Bananas.

Trump need Hermain Cain to come into the Situation Room while talking national security with generals because of Cain’s 9-9-9 tax Plan? How does this make any sense at all? The generals didn’t know they needed a plan until trump recommended Cain’s Tax plan as an example? Bananas.

Is there a link to an actual story with sources?

Is there a link to an actual story with sources?
"Trump recently gathered with generals and other military leaders for a meeting about the Mexican border, according to two people familiar with the chain of events who spoke on the condition of anonymity to freely describe the discussions. At the meeting, which was held in the White House Situation Room, an aide passed Trump a note informing him that Cain was in the building.

Trump summoned Cain to the meeting, and then told the military brass that they needed to come up with a “9-9-9” plan for the border. The joke fell flat."

Holy shit, Harry. There are TWO anonymous sources. How much more credibility does a WaPo and CNN blogger need?

"Trump recently gathered with generals and other military leaders for a meeting about the Mexican border, according to two people familiar with the chain of events who spoke on the condition of anonymity to freely describe the discussions. At the meeting, which was held in the White House Situation Room, an aide passed Trump a note informing him that Cain was in the building.

Trump summoned Cain to the meeting, and then told the military brass that they needed to come up with a “9-9-9” plan for the border. The joke fell flat."

Holy shit, Harry. There are TWO anonymous sources. How much more credibility does a WaPo and CNN blogger need?

They teach that wording your whole senior year at journalism school in Berkeley.

Wait so it was a joke? It’s almost like the linked tweet is dishonest. @Pokeabear you wouldn’t want to participate in a dishonest narrative would you?

So the real story here is trump told a bad joke. A 70+ year old man told a bad joke and that’s newsworthy? I’ve got ten uncles that would fill up the 5,6 and 10 o’clock news slots for weeks if that shit is newsworthy.

Wait so it was a joke? It’s almost like the linked tweet is dishonest. @Pokeabear you wouldn’t want to participate in a dishonest narrative would you?

So the real story here is trump told a bad joke. A 70+ year old man told a bad joke and that’s newsworthy? I’ve got ten uncles that would fill up the 5,6 and 10 o’clock news slots for weeks if that shit is newsworthy.

The racist is a liar too?

Why was Herman Cain in the situation room discussing the border with the president and our Generals? How is that a joke?

Why was Herman Cain in the situation room discussing the border with the president and our Generals? How is that a joke?

Ask the two fake people that told the story. If they said it was a joke, and your twitter source left that out on purpose, you got russia’d. Again.

Ask the two fake people that told the story. If they said it was a joke, and your twitter source left that out on purpose, you got russia’d. Again.
Why are you ok with Mr Cain being asked to the Situation room where Trump was discussing a “national emergency” with our Generals. Your cool with th “joke”, why are you cool with Cain? Why should he be there?

Why are you ok with Mr Cain being asked to the Situation room where Trump was discussing a “national emergency” with our Generals. Your cool with th “joke”, why are you cool with Cain? Why should he be there?

I like Herman Cain. He is a super smart successful person. I’m glad he was in there. Hell I hope they let him read the jfk assasination and alien files after his tour.

But let’s get back to you. Do you realize you were russia’d or does your diagnosis allow you to just block that out?

I like Herman Cain. He is a super smart successful person. I’m glad he was in there. Hell I hope they let him read the jfk assasination and alien files after his tour.

But let’s get back to you. Do you realize you were russia’d or does your diagnosis allow you to just block that out?
You. Are. Bananas.

So there is no way you will admit that you got mislead by that tweet? You can’t muster up a teaspoon of intellectual honesty?
I wasn’t mislead because I read the underlying reporting. I’m glad you finally did, even if it’s contents didn’t sink in, the hollow ringing still echoes out.

I wasn’t mislead because I read the underlying reporting. I’m glad you finally did, even if it’s contents didn’t sink in, the hollow ringing still echoes out.

I just read the tweet you linked. I didn’t see the word joke. But since I don’t get russia’d and I know you have the morals of a starving coyote, I asked for a link.

Reactions: CBradSmith
I just read the tweet you linked. I didn’t see the word joke. But since I don’t get russia’d and I know you have the morals of a starving coyote, I asked for a link.
You don’t understand how those tweets work do you? They link to said article. They are literal links themselves. The hollow ringing grows louder.

You don’t understand how those tweets work do you? They link to said article. They are literal links themselves. The hollow ringing grows louder.

I just read the entire story. All the way at the bottom it mentions your tweet and it does so as a bad joke. The tweet you linked did not. Why not just link the story? Why the misleading tweet? Your problem is that they shared secret info? Your problem is he made a bad joke? Why is this a “holy Christ” moment?

Reactions: CBradSmith
I just read the entire story. All the way at the bottom it mentions your tweet and it does so as a bad joke. The tweet you linked did not. Why not just link the story? Why the misleading tweet? Your problem is that they shared secret info? Your problem is he made a bad joke? Why is this a “holy Christ” moment?
The Situation room is not to be used the way this president uses it, I care about protocol and national security in ways you will obviously never understand. That’s why. Spin away.

This may be upsetting to Aliabedi. It's got the feminists all upset in Pakistan right now. (link)

https://www.breitbart.com/news/periods-and-dick-pic-posters-ignite-feminist-firestorm-in-pakistan-2/
Well like I said women rights organizations are quite strong in Pakistan and help bring women issues to the public attention.
Even in the US all women problems are not solved or they have equality with men
look at the income differences between men and women.What about ME TOO movement which is catching on both in Pakistan and India.

on the subject of this thread I saw a hilarious interview of Herman on Last Week Tonight
where he did every thing John Oliver asked him to do.Watch it 22lr

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT