141 #1 Dean Heil vs.Henry Pohlmeyer 8-7 record Major for Heil 8-3
149 #2 Anthony Collica vs. #30 Alex Kocer major for Collica 12-3
157 #5 Joe Smith vs. Colin Holler 6-4 record major for Smith 15-3
165 #4 Chandler Rogers vs. #16 Luke Zilverberg dec. for Rogers 18-3
174 #5 Kyle Crutchmer vs. #15 David Kocer dec. for Crutchmer 21-3
184 #5 Nolan Boyd vs. Martin Mueller 10-7 rcd Major for Boyd 25-3
197 #4 Preston Weigel vs. Nate Rotert dec. for Weigel 28-3
285 #8 Austin Schafer vs. Alex Macki 6-7 record fall for Schafer 34-3

* Just to see if anyone is looking. However, it does not appear to be a good matchup for Kaid.
Seth Gross is 18-1 with his only loss to Montoya and breakdown of his 18 wins shows 7 falls,6tech falls,4 majors and 1 regular decision. Gross is long and squirrely and scrambles like a madman.
Brock needs to rely on his shrug go behind and not shoot on the legs.Gross is very tough on the mat.
I know this prediction is controversial but I will be elated when he proves me wrong.

133 #2 Kaid Brock vs. #7 Seth Gross Dec. Gross * 4-3

* Just to see if anyone is looking. However, it does not appear to be a good matchup for Kaid.
Seth Gross is 18-1 with his only loss to Montoya and breakdown of his 18 wins shows 7 falls,6tech falls,4 majors and 1 regular decision. Gross is long and squirrely and scrambles like a madman.
Brock needs to rely on his shrug go behind and not shoot on the legs.Gross is very tough on the mat.
I know this prediction is controversial but I will be elated when he proves me wrong.

Yes, I think for Kaid to win there will need to be more than 7 pts scored, may be more even if Gross wins. A low scoring match could occur if Kaid chosen down 2nd & can't get out & Gross chooses top 3rd. So far we haven't seen any that can keep him down, but this guy may be a different animal.

I think Brock comes out and makes a statement against Gross, since it will be our closest match on paper. Gross really only has 3 great wins, 2 over Mitch McKee and the other against a very inconsistent Earl Hall

Weigel could have a couple tests this weekend. Flo has Rotert of SDSU at No. 9.

What happened to Henson and WV? Really thought that he would have this program farther along by now.

What happened to Henson and WV? Really thought that he would have this program farther along by now.
West Virginia is very sad this year. Our guys who won big I don't feel that excited because their opponents seemed so weak. However I am really concerned about Joe Smith because he doesn't seem to be the same wrestler he was as a freshman. He doesn't seem to have much fire which would kill our chances to win Nationals. According to Oberebo he wrestled a guy with a 1-11 record. I hope that Piccinini gets some confidence. I also thought Chandler wrestled very sloppy but won.

Smith looks like he is gassing early or he is hiding a Injury

Last edited:
Smith looks like he is gassing early or his hiding a Injury
Here's my guess on Joe and it is only a guess. John said on his show this week that Joe is stubborn and does not want to shoot anything but his low ankle pick for takedowns and people are learning how to counter it and John said he wanted him to make other moves which he has but has not been using. He made one (1) half shot at the low single and no others. I believe John told him to not use this move and he did not. I think it took Joe out of his normal flo. He really does not look gassed to me but is experiencing sophomore-itis. I think John has to be frustrated as we are giving up late takedowns to opponents when we are ahead i.e. Heil and Rogers. There is no excuse for that when we have dominated 3/4 of the match. Brock also gave up a late takedown. This has to be an irritant to John.

Good post obe. Joe is slowly getting his weight down. It isn't bad weight that is really hurting him but he put on a bunch of muscle in the offseason and the injury didn't help things.

He has fought getting down to a manageable weight so far this year which is one reason for his slow start.

I absolutely love this team.....we have a chance to go thru the entire dual season with a total of 10 losses as a group and yet people still feel the need to focus on perceived opportunities. We set a record at the scuffle, won reno with part of our backups and absolutely slaughtered Iowa in a dual. I hope our wrestlers continue to frustrate you nay sayers at this pace and bring home number 35.

Reactions: JAY45
FRIDAY NIGHT
WEST VIRGINIA
125 #11 Pic vs. Devin Brown 3-9 record Major for Pic 4-0
133 #2 Kaid Brock vs. Cory Stainbrook 9-6 rcd Major for Kaid 8-0
141 #1 Dean Heil vs. Joe Wheeling 3-9 rcd Major for Heil 12-0
149 #2 Anthony Collica vs. Christian Monserrat 9-4 rcd Fall for Collica 18-0
157 #5 Joe Smith vs. Dayton Garrett 1-11 rcd Fall for Smith 24-0
165 #4 Chandler Rogers vs. #10 Dylan Cotrell 6-1 rcd Fall for Rogers30-0
174 #5 Kyle Crutchmer vs. Ty Milward 1-11 rcd Fall for Crutchmer 36-0
184 #5 Nolan Boyd vs. Parker VonEgidy 4-8 record TF for Boyd 41-0
197 #4 Preston Weigel vs. #6 Jacob Smith dec. for Weigel 44-0
285 #8 Austin Schafer vs. Brandon Ngati 1-12 rcd fall for Schafer 50-0

SUNDAY
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

125 #11 Pic vs. Ben Gillette 10-9 record Major for Pic 4-0
133 #2 Kaid Brock vs. #7 Seth Gross Dec. Gross * 4-3
141 #1 Dean Heil vs.Henry Pohlmeyer 8-7 record Major for Heil 8-3
149 #2 Anthony Collica vs. #30 Alex Kocer major for Collica 12-3
157 #5 Joe Smith vs. Colin Holler 6-4 record major for Smith 15-3
165 #4 Chandler Rogers vs. #16 Luke Zilverberg dec. for Rogers 18-3
174 #5 Kyle Crutchmer vs. #15 David Kocer dec. for Crutchmer 21-3
184 #5 Nolan Boyd vs. Martin Mueller 10-7 rcd Major for Boyd 25-3
197 #4 Preston Weigel vs. Nate Rotert dec. for Weigel 28-3
285 #8 Austin Schafer vs. Alex Macki 6-7 record fall for Schafer 34-3

As usual good breakdown. I can guarantee you that SDSU guys will be ready to wrestle hard for 7 minutes.

The best matches should be 133,149, 174 & 197. Kocer at 149 is tough on the mat. May not be a major as you predict.

Reactions: oberebo
As usual good breakdown. I can guarantee you that SDSU guys will be ready to wrestle hard for 7 minutes.

The best matches should be 133,149, 174 & 197. Kocer at 149 is tough on the mat. May not be a major as you predict.
Goose, you have the audacity to doubt my predictions. I was only off by 15 points in my predictions for West Virginia. You are probably right and there will be upsets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT