ADVERTISEMENT

There is a HUGE difference between OSU's and squat defenses

Cowboy76

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
I am a big numbers guy so I read with interest Barry Trammels column comparing the defenses. I had myself convinced we had the best defense in the league. The numbers show differently. The numbers lie.

It took me a bit to figure out where the problem was. We have payed the same 3 teams. I have watched every down of OSU and uo games. Our front 4 is superior. Our LB's are better cover guys. We are so much deeper in the secondary. The stats seemed similar(slight lean to uo). Then it hit me. We have played primarily running teams. The main difference between the 2 defenses has yet to be highlighted. OSU plays primarily with a 4 man rush. Our sack leaders and TFL leaders are along the line. uo has to blitz a LB(usually Striker or Bond) to get pressure on the QB. So what? Not a huge deal when playing teams that do not have a passing QB. But when we start playing TT, TCU, Baylor it will be huge. Everyone saw the open receivers that K St had last week but Hubener could not hit them. Russell, Mahomes and Boykin can. You do have to blitz them occasionally to keep them guessing but blitz those 3 QB's very often and they will hit the hot receiver for a big gain.

Being able to rush 4 most of the time and keep LB's in coverage will be huge. Also, having depth in the secondary with TCU, Baylor, and TT running those deep verticals will be huge. uo is still looking for their 2nd cover CB. We have 3 and maybe 4. uo safeties have been out of position all year. Sterns and Flowers have played well.

Tomorrow will be the first test. Especially if Shannon has to play. He is great in run support but lost in coverage. Look for TT to exploit that. Meanwhile, OSU has 5 LB's that can cover. When we bring in Akem and Averrette we do not lose a thing in pass coverage.

I think the second half of the season will show who has the best defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News