ADVERTISEMENT

So it begins.

SquatchinPoke

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2021
Medical assistance in dying (MAID) has been available in Canada since 2016 and is set to expand in March 2023, extending eligibility to those with a mental illness.

Bill C-7 would allow individuals seeking MAID to apply solely on the basis of a mental disorder. Prior to the bill's passage, MAID eligibility was based on having a "grievous and irremediable medical condition," according to a report from the Canadian government on the practice.

Creighton School of Medicine professor Charles Camosy said Wednesday on "Tucker Carlson Tonight" the bill would allow "mature minors" to be euthanized by state doctors without the consent of their parents.

Camosy argued that the MAID practice exists for several groups already.

"We’ve got the homeless, we talked about that last time. The poor. The disabled. Those with chronic pain. And then right before coming on, I researched the physician's group in Quebec that wants to kill newborn infants. That’s what's coming next," he told host Tucker Carlson.

"This is what happens when autonomy just goes nuts."

The medical humanities professor said health care has been "hyper-secularized" in recent years and is based on "cost-benefit analysis.

Camosy said he doesn't think this type of law would come into effect in the U.S., but added doctors need to focus on saving the lives of their patients. "What we need to do, is support in whatever way [we] can, health care that is about caring, not killing."

Zac Diles What GIF by VH1

"There's a coalition of people coming up with a brand new medical school, the Padre Pio School of Medicine in 2026, that is going to do this very clearly, very ably," he added.

"We have to get off the couch and do something about this for those of us that see the writing on the wall here," he concluded.

Oregon was the first state in the United States to approve medically assisted suicide, with a law going into effect in 1997. California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, New Jersey, New Mexico, Vermont, Washington state and Washington, D.C., have approved similar laws, all with residency requirements. Montana’s Supreme Court has ruled that state law does not prohibit medical aid in dying.

Suicide is the ultimate right of freedom. I support euthanasia laws. That said, I disagree with the premise that it can be done by minors without parental consent/notification.

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
Suicide is the ultimate right of freedom. I support euthanasia laws. That said, I disagree with the premise that it can be done by minors without parental consent/notification.
Oh I agree if some old person wants to off themselves but minors or mentally ill is a slippery slope in my book.

Reactions: MR. TANNER BOYLE
Why do you not think it a a slippery slope for older persons?
Actually, I don't after this question was proposed. I think someone could take advantage of an elderly person they don't want to take care of. We should have better retirement homes with cheaper fees and better rates. I say we stop sending foreign aid and make it so old people won't want to die.

Actually, I don't after this question was proposed.
Ok, this makes sense. That is why I asked the question, I was wondering what the difference was.

We should have better retirement homes with cheaper fees and better rates. I say we stop sending foreign aid and make it so old people won't want to die.
I definitely agree we need to invest in better elderly care and equitable access to healthcare for all Americans. And I think we can do so without cutting foreign aid, although I am definitely not opposed to a reduction in foreign aid where such aid is not benefitting our national foreign interest.

Ok, this makes sense. That is why I asked the question, I was wondering what the difference was.

I definitely agree we need to invest in better elderly care and equitable access to healthcare for all Americans. And I think we can do so without cutting foreign aid, although I am definitely not opposed to a reduction in foreign aid where such aid is not benefitting our national foreign interest.
I just throw that one out since we waste so much tax money in that area but yes, I agree the money is there.

Actually, I don't after this question was proposed. I think someone could take advantage of an elderly person they don't want to take care of. We should have better retirement homes with cheaper fees and better rates. I say we stop sending foreign aid and make it so old people won't want to die.
Having watched my father deteriorate from Alzheimer's, I can't share your opinion as I know there are real cases where prolonging life means that you are only prolonging the suffering. That said, I do agree with the premise that much more can be done to take care of our elderly, and it would be a damn well better use than Ukraine war funding or promoting transgenderism in Ecuador,

(Edited as it read wrong previously)

Reactions: 2012Bearcat
Having watched my father deteriorate from Alzheimer's, I can't share your opinion. While I agree with the premise that much more can be done to take care of our elderly, and it would be a damn well better use than Ukraine war funding or promoting transgenderism in Ecuador, there are real cases where prolonging life means that you are only prolonging the suffering.
See I agree here also and was what was in my mind when I threw out old people. This runs in my family and after a bad COVID illness this year I had the worst brain fog and hated it. I told my wife if I get this, I am not going out this way sorry but losing my mind would be awful.

I equate this like medical problems for abortion. I think and again this is just my opinion so you can differ with no hate or ill will from me on this issue, but we have to deal with the smaller numbers in these cases to keep the bad people from murdering inconveniences.

I have a little experience with elderly people in their final years from both a personal and professional basis. All of my grandparents spent their final years in nursing facilities and we are current going through this with my father in law. The expense is absolutely ridiculous. Current monthly expense for my father in law is over 8K a month and he's not in skilled nursing care yet. Yes that over 96K dollars a year. We do get some help from a VA program for those that served during a war but it's only like $1400 a month and not near enough to cover any facility out there.
It amazes me how expensive it is and how few people have properly prepared for it. I've seen fairly well off people spend their last dime and be forced onto Medicaid. I've seen people of modest means that prepared properly live out their last years in top facilities and have money left over after they pass. Watching people spend down their life's work has always been a disturbing problem for me. End of life care is one of the most expensive forms of healthcare out there.
With that said I understand why some of our elderly would want to check out. My wife and I have a Long Term Care policy that should take care of us in our final years but if it comes to the point where I screwed up and live longer than the policy will cover I've told my kids to take me to Yellowstone and let me go. Of course they would never do that and hopefully I have the ability to check out on my own terms instead of becoming a burden on my kids. Becoming a burden on my kids is my greatest fear in life and before I allow that to happen I will check out on my own terms.

Reactions: davidallen
I have a little experience with elderly people in their final years from both on a personal and professional basis. All of my grandparents spent their final years in nursing facilities and we are current going through this with my father in law. The expense is absolutely ridiculous. Current monthly expense for my father in law is over 8K a month and he's not in skilled nursing care yet. Yes that over 96K dollars a year. We do get some help from a VA program for those that served during a war but it's only like $1400 a month and not near enough to cover any facility out there.
It amazes me how expensive it is and how few people have properly prepared for it. I've seen fairly well off people spend their last dime and be forced onto Medicaid. I've seen people of modest means that prepared properly live out their last years in top facilities and have money left over after they pass. Watching people spend down their life's work has always been a disturbing problem for me. End of life care is one of the most expensive forms of healthcare out there.
With that said I understand why some of our elderly would want to check out. My wife and I have a Long Term Care policy that should take care of us in our final years but if it comes to the point where I screwed up and live longer than the policy will cover I've told my kids to take me to Yellowstone and let me go. Of course they would never do that and hopefully I have the ability to check out on my own terms instead of becoming a burden on my kids. Becoming a burden on my kids is my greatest fear in life and before I allow that to happen I will check out on my own terms.
I have been old enough to see my gramps who was VA go into a VA facility then see how it went for my grandma who wasn't. Crazy how much money it cost. Every dollar they saved was used up before the end and she planned ahead.

Place wasn't even that nice but was one of the best around here.

I think my other gramps who is 88 and still running the Maine camp half the year will go out like you say. I think he goes into the woods up there and ends it once we tell him he can't be independent anymore. He is odd like me and I actually think this is his plan.

That said, I do agree with the premise that much more can be done to take care of our elderly, and it would be a damn well better use than Ukraine war funding
We can do both. We can invest in better elderly care and equitable access to healthcare for all Americans while also supporting Ukraine and their people (which includes elderly persons btw) from Putin's aggression.

It isn't an either/or choice.

Creighton School of Medicine professor Charles Camosy said Wednesday on "Tucker Carlson Tonight" the bill would allow "mature minors" to be euthanized by state doctors without the consent of their parents.
Isn't this the guy who says eating cows is immoral? Strict pescatarian as I recall. I'd be looking for some back up to his interpretation of this Canadian proposal.

Isn't this the guy who says eating cows is immoral? Strict pescatarian as I recall. I'd be looking for some back up to his interpretation of this Canadian proposal.

No one bats 100% Dave.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT