ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Worlds Today and tomorrow

@Pennstate1985 just so you understand how civil and accommodating we are, I didn’t even comment on her cooking!

It really is worth noting she makes wonderful breakfast in bed!
She DID make a wonderful breakfast I must say. Just don't ask for spaghetti. She used the fattiest hamburger meat and then refused to skim off the grease. I used to stand in the kitchen and skim off 1/2" of grease so that I could stomach supper. Yes, it traumatized me LOL. Mom is long since gone.

She DID make a wonderful breakfast I must say. Just don't ask for spaghetti. She used the fattiest hamburger meat and then refused to skim off the grease. I used to stand in the kitchen and skim off 1/2" of grease so that I could stomach supper. Yes, it traumatized me LOL. Mom is long since gone.
I knew she didn’t lip read Blaze.

Let me guess, she had some heart issues?

May God rest her wonderful soul!

Pure luck... ;)

92kg Best of 3 Finals - Match 3 - David Taylor VS Zahid Valencia

P1:
Taylor won the first match. Here we go. Valencia coming forward off the whistle, Taylor on his knees, then circles back to center. Valencia looking under hook, coming forward. Taylor on his knees back near the edge again, Valencia tries a gator roll, stoppage. Taylor injured. Valencia squeezed out Taylor's contact lens. Lol. Back to action & tying up. Valencia quite active to start. Stoppage, Taylor passivity warning, restart. Taylor shoots a double, switches to a single, but Valencia fights him off. Back to center tying up & circling. Valencia passivity warning, restart. Taylor shoots a High-C & takes Valencia out of bounds for 2, 2-0, restart. Valencia wants a brick, but the corner doesn't throw it. Tying up & circling, Valencia snaps, Taylor re-attacks, nothing. Valencia shoots, Taylor with a slick counter for another TD, 4-0, restart. Tying up & circling, Valencia coming forward a little. Taylor shoots again, Valencia defending & Taylor takes him out of bounds, 5-0, wait no points, still 4-0, restart. Valencia snaps, gets a leg, but is on his knees. Taylor has a near side cradle locked up, flips Zahid over & gets the fall!

David Taylor FALL Zahid Valencia (2:49) & wins the Best of 3 Series 2 matches to none.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around this. Can someone explain to me how criteria doesn’t punish wrestlers for scoring first?

Zahid’s takedown is worth less than DT’s takedown.
It encourages wrestler that scored first to keep scoring. If first score was criteria winner they could shut down and stall out being up the equivalent of 2 scores.

So weird seeing DT in orange…I love Fix but my gosh I wish he would find a way to finish.
You guys would know better than me maybe, but it looks like Daton goes into prevent defense near the end of matches. If he would wrestle the last minute like the first 5 minutes, I think he would win many more of these matches.

It encourages wrestler that scored first to keep scoring. If first score was criteria winner they could shut down and stall out being up the equivalent of 2 scores.
but how is that fair? I could say that the current rule incentivizes the second wrestler to wear out the first scorer and try for the late win and victory. It's the same problem in reverse. They should wrestle a 2 minute overtime. First point wins.

but how is that fair? I could say that the current rule incentivizes the second wrestler to wear out the first scorer and try for the late win and victory. It's the same problem in reverse. They should wrestle a 2 minute overtime. First point wins.

Exactly what @ctdub said above.

It’s about making sure the end of the match is as exciting (potentially) as possible.

And let’s be honest - overtime SUCKS. It’s just more not-wrestling.

You guys would know better than me maybe, but it looks like Daton goes into prevent defense near the end of matches. If he would wrestle the last minute like the first 5 minutes, I think he would win many more of these matches.
He does, did it twice in the national finals. He tends to get real conservative and defensive late in big time matches

Reactions: vhsalum
I don't like it either. Not sure how one TD is worth less than another TD just because it was last. If scoring is the same, then there should be sudden death 3rd period where any point is a win. Seems obvious but I guess the Olympics doesn't want to gice any more time to wrestling.
I am guessing it is because scoring last promotes action. It works if they call stalling, which is usually the case in freestyle.

My thoughts on Daton:
I love the guy and he's a great human but he's going to struggle getting to legs against super high caliber hand fighters who stay in great position and are longer and faster than he is. Desanto has a tank but he's not fast really. Youve seen it with Suriano, RBY and Vito. Now youve seen it with Blaze. He's not "shutting down" imo he's just not seeing a shot he feels comfortable he can get to. He's just not fast enough really along with his shorter stocky build. I'm not qualified to make any real judgement on how to remedy this but he's with the right guys who can. Vito won worlds last year and look how close Blaze was with him. The guy Daton lost to is really FKN good gentleman and it went down to the wire!

I thought Daton looked fantastic for the most part. Was in shape and didnt fade as the matches went on (was pushing Desanto around the whole match) and he kept absolutely amazing position. As far as Blaze, Daton wasnt going to take a bad shot because Marcus has a world class reshot. Daton's scrambling was world class as well. IMO both Daton and Blaze are probably top 10 in the world for sure at 61kg if not top 5.

My thoughts on Daton:
I love the guy and he's a great human but he's going to struggle getting to legs against super high caliber hand fighters who stay in great position and are longer and faster than he is. Desanto has a tank but he's not fast really. Youve seen it with Suriano, RBY and Vito. Now youve seen it with Blaze. He's not "shutting down" imo he's just not seeing a shot he feels comfortable he can get to. He's just not fast enough really along with his shorter stocky build. I'm not qualified to make any real judgement on how to remedy this but he's with the right guys who can. Vito won worlds last year and look how close Blaze was with him. The guy Daton lost to is really FKN good gentleman and it went down to the wire!

I thought Daton looked fantastic for the most part. Was in shape and didnt fade as the matches went on (was pushing Desanto around the whole match) and he kept absolutely amazing position. As far as Blaze, Daton wasnt going to take a bad shot because Marcus has a world class reshot. Daton's scrambling was world class as well. IMO both Daton and Blaze are probably top 10 in the world for sure at 61kg if not top 5.
So does everyone in the world. That is a common problem. He is definitely up there with he elite wrestlers in the world. Will lhe ever get to the top of the mountain? Who knows?
Let us remember that a man who was considered one of the best pound for pound guys in the world did not make our olympic team this year and a returning world medalist did not make the world team this year. (Amazingly enough - the same guy was involved in both scenarios) The difference between these guys is less than the width of a hair and it can all come down to who had a slightest of slightest edge on that day.
I agree, he looked really good and he can scramble like a superstar.

So does everyone in the world. That is a common problem. He is definitely up there with he elite wrestlers in the world. Will lhe ever get to the top of the mountain? Who knows?
Let us remember that a man who was considered one of the best pound for pound guys in the world did not make our olympic team this year and a returning world medalist did not make the world team this year. (Amazingly enough - the same guy was involved in both scenarios) The difference between these guys is less than the width of a hair and it can all come down to who had a slightest of slightest edge on that day.
I agree, he looked really good and he can scramble like a superstar.
Thats a bit of an oversimplification. My point was to give an opinion (and thats all it is) as to why Daton supposedly "shuts down" in big matches. When two guys are very evenly matched skill wise then things like length and speed or a combination of the two can play a huge factor. Those two things seem to be huge hurdles for Daton to overcome when getting to a leg. Lord knows when he gets in deep he has a hell of a chance of finishing.

And yes, making a world team, especially in the USA is damn hard.

Thats a bit of an oversimplification. My point was to give an opinion (and thats all it is) as to why Daton supposedly "shuts down" in big matches. When two guys are very evenly matched skill wise then things like length and speed or a combination of the two can play a huge factor. Those two things seem to be huge hurdles for Daton to overcome when getting to a leg. Lord knows when he gets in deep he has a hell of a chance of finishing.

And yes, making a world team, especially in the USA is damn hard.
Athleticism ain't Daton's problem.

Daton has 2 problems:

1. he doesn't have a consistent set up to get to legs. Surprising considering John has been his coach for so long - but this goes back as far as his high school days. In his matches with Suriano and Spencer - Daton doesn't have a great setup to a great leg attack. All of his "offense" requires the other guy to initiate action.

2. between his ears. Good luck with this one. Not sure how you fix it this late in his career, but he definitely has that JO ability to just shut down - both during stretches of a match and at the end.

Daton has some ridiculously long arms for the weight - he just needs to fight a handfight set up he's willing to commit to.

Daton's a fantastic scrambler, wish he'd take more risky shots. Because it's clearly risky to only take safe shots.

There, I solved it.

Came across a guy on Instagram with the handle "mugzybulljunk" aka Keelon Jamison. He posted a video today stated that he was at the trials over the weekend and was getting a bunch of hate from OSU people/fans.

Ive never heard of him until about 10 min ago but I guess his popularity is large among the younger generation. He is an influencer who is trying to promote the sport but really just promote himself.

Anyway, not sure what he is talking about with all this "hate" bc he didn't go into any detail. Hoping someone could fill in the gaps.

Came across a guy on Instagram with the handle "mugzybulljunk" aka Keelon Jamison. He posted a video today stated that he was at the trials over the weekend and was getting a bunch of hate from OSU people/fans.

Ive never heard of him until about 10 min ago but I guess his popularity is large among the younger generation. He is an influencer who is trying to promote the sport but really just promote himself.

Anyway, not sure what he is talking about with all this "hate" bc he didn't go into any detail. Hoping someone could fill in the gaps.
Yeah idk. I’ve seen some of his videos but he’s not anyone I know much about. I don’t love the comment section though. Jax and other are telling him he’s the best and not to worry about it. Who knows.

Penn State wrestling always went for bonus with the lead, instead of going on the defensive. No bonus points in freestyle, but if DT can get Daton out of the mindset of going defensive with the lead, it will greatly benefit him in the future.

Penn State wrestling always went for bonus with the lead, instead of going on the defensive. No bonus points in freestyle, but if DT can get Daton out of the mindset of going defensive with the lead, it will greatly benefit him in the future.

It will be interesting to see if DT can translate that to the Cowboys. John, TNT "want" bonus points. But there's a pressure to it that's completely inhibiting their athlete's ability to assume that risk. Carl has done the best job we've ever seen of allowing his wrestlers to be self-motivated to get bonus points - without the fear of reprisal if they give up scores/don't get bonus.

It will be interesting to see if DT can translate that to the Cowboys. John, TNT "want" bonus points. But there's a pressure to it that's completely inhibiting their athlete's ability to assume that risk. Carl has done the best job we've ever seen of allowing his wrestlers to be self-motivated to get bonus points - without the fear of reprisal if they give up scores/don't get bonus.
It's a mindset really. Do you wrestle to win or do you wrestle to score points and express superiority over your opponent? Most may say that one leads to the other and that is true, but by solely focusing on becoming a better wrestler, it takes some of that pressure off on winning. It's like business. Do you focus on revenue and profits, or do you focus on customer service and providing value. In both cases, one needs to focus on the means and not the ends.

Athleticism ain't Daton's problem.
Lack of speed compared to other top guys along with arm length is the problem. When guys play constant defense against Fix (like at NCAAs) he has trouble also because of this. RBY made Daton look slow and then Vito showed RBY what speed is all about. Speed kills in a lot of sports and wrestling is one of them. If I was recruiting its definitely one of the main things I'd look for.

Again, it's just an opinion.

I am confused but I guess that is no surprise to anyone on this board. Who are our other six team members on the US World team? The four who qualified at the tournament this weekend is all that is being mentioned. Can someone clear up my confusion?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT