ADVERTISEMENT

rutgers

Good match. Hope it becomes a regular thing. It’s good for wrestling when the powerhouses get exposure, and fbow, okie state wrestling the fan obsessed b1g schools is good.

See you at nationals. Hopefully we get to see an actual fix vs Suriano match and not what we got here.

Reactions: osu2082
little different take on G-Ashnault ending. G looked fine, started handshake, then pushed at the end. Wonder if G wasn't offended by celebration, but Ashnault still talking during handshake? Wish I could find video from other side

They took away the escape on the locked hands so it started back at the 24 seconds with Daton down.
definitely don't like replay if you change the very nature of the match-a locked hands situation continues until bottom man either scores or top man regains total control, then the point is awarded. Fix earned the escape. that is where the restart should be. JMO

When they reviewed Jacobe yesterday against Princeton.

If they would have given the Princeton guy the takedown, would the match have restarted at the point of the missed takedown? Even though there was an instantaneous reversal and then fall?

Good match. Hope it becomes a regular thing. It’s good for wrestling when the powerhouses get exposure, and fbow, okie state wrestling the fan obsessed b1g schools is good.

See you at nationals. Hopefully we get to see an actual fix vs Suriano match and not what we got here.

Unless Gross is able to make a very quick a full recovery I would be very surprised if we don't see the rematch Saturday night at nationals. They are the two best in the country at the weight. Micic amd Pletcher are tough but these two are a slight cut above IMO.

Excuse me for my earlier comment. I read your comment incorrectly and was out of line.

That 133 was the most disappointing match I’ve seen in a long time. I was at the snake pit for their 2014 match and it was the best 3-1 match in history. I really expected that offensive risk taking match again.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Excuse me for my earlier comment. I read your comment incorrectly and was out of line.

That 133 was the most disappointing match I’ve seen in a long time. I was at the snake pit for their 2014 match and it was the best 3-1 match in history. I really expected that offensive risk taking match again.

We’re good :)

I was not that disappointed in the match. Fix was working but the hand fighting and approach from Suriano was exactly how he had to Wrestle to not lose. Fix is so good on his feet, it was the best way to neutralize his scoring ability.

What would've been good for Wrestling is if those two agreed to go roll around a little in private with only them keeping score. Kinda like the end of Rocky 3, but make sure the public new it happened without disclosing the results.

When they reviewed Jacobe yesterday against Princeton.

If they would have given the Princeton guy the takedown, would the match have restarted at the point of the missed takedown? Even though there was an instantaneous reversal and then fall?

Yes. Any time there is a review, if the call is over turned, everything after the call in question is nullified and the match returns to the point where the call was changed. If there is no change to the call, the match returns to the point where the action was stopped (so, everything that happened stands).

So, in Jacobe's match, had they given Princeton the takedown, the match would have restarted with Princeton on top as if the reversal and fall never happened.

With Fix/Suriano, the match returned to the point the official made the locked hands call (notably, not when the point was awarded as that call is delayed to allow the bottom man a chance to continue the action) with Daton on the bottom.

You'll even see the absurd (though correct) situation where there is a scramble, one guy is awarded two a little early, eventually secures the takedown, then it is challenged and he loses the takedown because it was rewarded prematurely (remember that the next time an official is slow to award points).

The theory is that once an incorrect call is made, everything after is tainted as the wrestlers are aware of the call and adjust their wrestling accordingly. I understand the thought, but I hope the rules committee looks at how this is playing out in reality.

The whole review process is just insane.

The refs call locked hands
No one challenges it but the refs decide on their own they need to look at it
They then take 10 minutes to overturn their own call that no one challanged

The whole review process is just insane.

The refs call locked hands
No one challenges it but the refs decide on their own they need to look at it
They then take 10 minutes to overturn their own call that no one challanged

I'm sort of okay with the second official coming in and saying he saw something different (which is what appeared to have happened) and then reviewing it but it's the length of the reviews that was the problem.

Get over to the table take a look at the two to three angles, make the call and move on. A review should only take a minute or two.

I think the existing challenge & video review rules are fine. The officials just need to make the review calls more quickly.

Flo has post match interviews with Daton & Suriano. Both came across well after that anticlimactic ending. Have to feel for Suriano with the injuries and the transfer saga. Another guy (like Spencer Lee) that is easy to root for IMO.

I'm sort of okay with the second official coming in and saying he saw something different (which is what appeared to have happened) and then reviewing it but it's the length of the reviews that was the problem.

Get over to the table take a look at the two to three angles, make the call and move on. A review should only take a minute or two.

For sure. The length was the issue. My problem is if it takes that long to review there should be no way you overturn it.

Reactions: osu2082
I think the existing challenge & video review rules are fine. The officials just need to make the review calls more quickly.

Flo has post match interviews with Daton & Suriano. Both came across well after that anticlimactic ending. Have to feel for Suriano with the injuries and the transfer saga. Another guy (like Spencer Lee) that is easy to root for IMO.

I agree. I thought Suriano handled himself pretty well after the match.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Will it hurt Surianos chances of a medical redshirt since PSU made him take a place at NCAA’s? That would be a bummer for him!

Looked like John was saying a prayer for the athletes from both teams. The Rutgers kid is obviously against prayer and took offense.
The extreme delays in the match were caused by the replay camera. According to knowledgeable sources every time the refs tried to see the replay the camera kept going back to the start of the match. Normally they can move the camera to any point in time but this was impossible so they had to look at the whole entirety of the match to that point to see the replay. This caused Fix and Suriano to have to stand on the mat for 15-20 minutes to get the replays. I watched on Flo and both wrestlers fought for hand control and body control and neither made aggressive takedown moves. Neither wrestler could obtain an advantage due to the skill of both. The wrestlers will have to wait until their next match and hope they can gain the advantage. Bother are extremely skilled and conditioned. Hate to see a match end like it did but there was hands to the face which is called much more often this year. Both were complimentary of the other's skills in the post match interviews.

For those that can bear to watch again, here's another view of the Daton/Suriano match. You get a better sense of the crowd reaction too.

The first review for locked hands by Fix occurred with Suriano on his knees and being controlled by Fix. The second review occurred with Fix on his feet and turned 3/4 into Suriano. Suriano was given the escape and neutral start while Fix had to start over from the refs position. I suspect it is because Rutgers challenged a no call after the escape and then challenged a refs call that occurred before the escape and therefore the difference in the after review positions. If riding time decided the match, the difference in restarts could have been detrimental to Fix.

Not a lot to draw from because both guys were so reluctant to attack. It kinda reminded me of the first Dake/Taylor match at the All Star Classic. Daton said after his loss to Gilman that he has to do more against a particular style of wrestling. I think he meant those defensive, hold good position, type guys like Gilman, Ramos and that U23 guy. I'd like to see him attack more and initiate the scramble situations that he is so good in.

Unrelated, but I think that was Reece Humphrey that urged Goodale to challenge the first locked hands. Reece runs the NJRTC shared by both Princeton & Rutgers. He was on the sidelines for both matches, first wearing a Princeton shirt and then a Rutgers shirt. So he went 0-2 against the Cowboys this weekend.

Yes. Any time there is a review, if the call is over turned, everything after the call in question is nullified and the match returns to the point where the call was changed. If there is no change to the call, the match returns to the point where the action was stopped (so, everything that happened stands).

So, in Jacobe's match, had they given Princeton the takedown, the match would have restarted with Princeton on top as if the reversal and fall never happened.

With Fix/Suriano, the match returned to the point the official made the locked hands call (notably, not when the point was awarded as that call is delayed to allow the bottom man a chance to continue the action) with Daton on the bottom.

You'll even see the absurd (though correct) situation where there is a scramble, one guy is awarded two a little early, eventually secures the takedown, then it is challenged and he loses the takedown because it was rewarded prematurely (remember that the next time an official is slow to award points).

The theory is that once an incorrect call is made, everything after is tainted as the wrestlers are aware of the call and adjust their wrestling accordingly. I understand the thought, but I hope the rules committee looks at how this is playing out in reality.
Historian help needed...

Isn’t this rule similar to how Leroy Smith lost to Randy Lewis at the Olympic Trials? It had to do with when the match was re-started (although obviously this was done post match).

Historian help needed...

Isn’t this rule similar to how Leroy Smith lost to Randy Lewis at the Olympic Trials? It had to do with when the match was re-started (although obviously this was done post match).
I remember that but do not remember the details. With challenges they came back and wrestled somewhere around 30 seconds the next day or something to decide who was going to make the Olympics. Later( 4 years) Lewis beat John at Topeka to take the lead for the Olympics and said something like I am a Smith killer and I will come back and knock Pat Smith off in the Olympic trials down the road. A short period later John and Lewis wrestled the final for the team and the rest was history for John Smith. John beat him soundly and I believe tore up Randy Lewis knee. I watched the match in Topeka with Smith getting in on Lewis's legs easily but unless you finished fast Lewis would roll you to your back which happened several times in this match.

Reactions: Wrassler17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT