ADVERTISEMENT

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

tlwwake

Oct 29, 2008
Just some notes...

--the first 'stand-alone film' that releases in December.
--Follows a group of rebel fighters as they plan to steal the Death Star plans; takes place just before New Hope.
--Disney was not happy with the overall dark tone of the film, so they are doing extensive re-shoots this month.

So what are your expectations?

I'm ready for something completely original from the franchise. The Force Awakens was pretty much a retread IMHO. Can't say I'm waiting on the edge of my seat to run out and watch this one.

Reactions: 3Gamma
I think its going to be tough to pull off making a movie that is so close in timeline to the originals. They will have to nail the look and feel. All of the other movies have happened in time and locations away from the original 3 so look and feel differences were easy to dismiss.

I'm looking forward to it though.

Quiet frankly, I am hoping it will follow the Disney / Marvel blueprint:
- Create a good believable sorry within the existing time frame
- Have enough action and special effects to be pretty decent
- Stay true enough to the original story to keep casual fans interested
- Drop enough Easter eggs and 'oh yeah I saw that' moments directly tying to the old stories to keep the super geeks happy

One of the best things about the world we live in now is an annual Star Wars movie.
Yea some people complain of the Disney 'oversaturation' with the franchise now.

Screw that. I'll enjoy my annual star wars film.

Reactions: MegaPoke
Just some notes...

--the first 'stand-alone film' that releases in December.
--Follows a group of rebel fighters as they plan to steal the Death Star plans; takes place just before New Hope.
--Disney was not happy with the overall dark tone of the film, so they are doing extensive re-shoots this month.

So what are your expectations?

I didn't like the new one last year -- had too much of the Disney feel-good mojo to it.

Think about it: Disney has ruined music, ABC, and ESPN -- is the Star Wars franchise next?

That being said, I'm going to go see it.

I like what Disney has done with Star Wars...

Especially Star Wars Rebels.

Disney has not ruined Pixar or Marvel.

I still think ESPN screwed itself up when they decided they wanted to be sports entertainment instead of sports news and live broadcasting.

The Marvel movies are cookie cutter assembly line pictures. No variety. No real creativity. No real surprises (except for bad ones that are glossed over by fans ... like the disappointing handling of the Mandarin).

I'm terrified they'll do the same to Star Wars. (I don't think George Lucas was real happy with Episode VII either.)

The Marvel movies are cookie cutter assembly line pictures. No variety. No real creativity. No real surprises (except for bad ones that are glossed over by fans ... like the disappointing handling of the Mandarin).

I'm terrified they'll do the same to Star Wars. (I don't think George Lucas was real happy with Episode VII either.)

And 1983 is still the last time George Lucas did anything good for Star Wars.

The Marvel movies are cookie cutter assembly line pictures. No variety. No real creativity. No real surprises

They have found a formula that works and are sticking to it. With that said, I would say that Deadpool pretty much shoots your comment out of the water. It was very different from all other Marvel movies and dissimilar to their other movies in many ways.

I'm not sure what you want, though. Comic books, in general, are cookie cutter in that most of them stick to the same formula. Sure, there are more and more examples of comics that no longer stick to the classic formula (i.e. Walking Dead, Preacher, etc), but that is not the Marvel/DC M.O. So, doesn't it make sense that most Marvel pics would pretty much be "assembly line pictures"?

They have found a formula that works and are sticking to it. With that said, I would say that Deadpool pretty much shoots your comment out of the water. It was very different from all other Marvel movies and dissimilar to their other movies in many ways.

I'm not sure what you want, though. Comic books, in general, are cookie cutter in that most of them stick to the same formula. Sure, there are more and more examples of comics that no longer stick to the classic formula (i.e. Walking Dead, Preacher, etc), but that is not the Marvel/DC M.O. So, doesn't it make sense that most Marvel pics would pretty much be "assembly line pictures"?

Deadpool didn't come from Marvel Studios. It was a Fox movie (which has its own well documented problems).

The Marvel Studio movies are very successful for many of the same reasons that people really like Disney movies. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but ...

... what they did with Mandarin was a bad joke.

Captain America should have died at the end of Civil War. Everyone knows it.

And they are really crippled by their properties being split over three or four production companies.

I would really love it to see all of them under the same umbrella.

The Fantastic Four is one of my all time favorite groups. I liked the original 2 movies that Fox did. But they need to make a deal to move them over to Marvel Studios. That they are being left out of this universe (along with the X-Men) is a crime.

Thank goodness Sony made a deal to include Spiderman.

I want to see Wolverine or Thing fight the Hulk.

I want to see Prof X, Mr. Fantastic, Tony Stark, and Bruce Banner work together on a project.

I want to see a conflict between the Avengers and the X-Men.

I want to see Dr. Doom (one of the best villains ever) cause trouble for everyone in the Marvel universe.

I want to see more of the Silver Surfer.

This current disjointed mess is very frustrating for a long time comic book fan.

I would also like to see Marvel do a few more movies like Winter Soldier, that had a lot of gravity, and was more than just the introduction/joke/conflict/joke/resolution/joke/after credits spoiler formula that we see too often.

Those movies are fun, but too many of them over and over and over again becomes a too predictable.

Deadpool didn't come from Marvel Studios. It was a Fox movie (which has its own well documented problems).

The Marvel Studio movies are very successful for many of the same reasons that people really like Disney movies. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but ...

... what they did with Mandarin was a bad joke.

Captain America should have died at the end of Civil War. Everyone knows it.

And they are really crippled by their properties being split over three or four production companies.

I would really love it to see all of them under the same umbrella.

The Fantastic Four is one of my all time favorite groups. I liked the original 2 movies that Fox did. But they need to make a deal to move them over to Marvel Studios. That they are being left out of this universe (along with the X-Men) is a crime.

Thank goodness Sony made a deal to include Spiderman.

I want to see Wolverine or Thing fight the Hulk.

I want to see Prof X, Mr. Fantastic, Tony Stark, and Bruce Banner work together on a project.

I want to see a conflict between the Avengers and the X-Men.

I want to see Dr. Doom (one of the best villains ever) cause trouble for everyone in the Marvel universe.

I want to see more of the Silver Surfer.

This current disjointed mess is very frustrating for a long time comic book fan.

I would also like to see Marvel do a few more movies like Winter Soldier, that had a lot of gravity, and was more than just the introduction/joke/conflict/joke/resolution/joke/after credits spoiler formula that we see too often.

Those movies are fun, but too many of them over and over and over again becomes a too predictable.

There are rumors that X-men/Avengers crossover may be in the not too distant future. Obviously, the deal that brought Spidey into the Avengers fold worked well. It likely paved the way for similar crossovers between studios.

I agree with you about Mandarin. I would say that killing off Cyclops in X-3 was even worse. Fortunately, they came up with a way to fix that issue.

It will be interesting to see if the general public gets burned out on super hero movies at some point. Obviously, even the bad ones are still raking in the $$$, so it doesn't look likely. If they continue to be extremely popular and huge cash cows, I suspect that you will eventually get to see a lot of the things you are clamoring for.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
Just a thought. I wonder if most of the main protagonists die (since none of them showed up in A New Hope)?

Did you guys read how Jar Jar was a bad guy and his slap stickness was just a cover. Darth Jar Jar but all you had to be hating so they backed off that idea.

I don't know where this is from. There are some other scenes from the film here, some brief comments by crew and cast and some shots of the crew filming. Also several glimpses of cool alien, robot and Imperial costumes. I likes this even more than the trailer I think.

Reactions: sbaPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT