ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

LETS F!@#ING GO!!! I remember people doubting "Z" until he showed up and dominated some people he wasnt suppose to.. I still remember him destroying Tony Nelson before he got hurt...

Reactions: bwel9339
LETS F!@#ING GO!!! I remember people doubting "Z" until he showed up and dominated some people he wasnt suppose to.. I still remember him destroying Tony Nelson before he got hurt...
Uh, Mirzo has been here and didn’t crack the lineup.

This will absolutely be an area of change, and one Cael has refined more and more over the years. The wrestling dual meet season acts as 16 individual training sessions leading up to March. Less live wrestling in the room and fewer matches means healthier guys come March. This is where the "less emphasis on winning and more emphasis on the process of becoming a better wrestler" comes in. Matches become part of the process and not central to the process.

That said, there will be a week or so in January where the team looks like dog poop. Cael always has what I call hell week somewhere in the schedule and it wipes the guys out. Even the best guys are winded during this period.
In Bo Nickals interview with Rogan he stated that the PSU coaches have a lot book of every single practice and how the guys performed since they took over the program. And they have used the history of poor performances to adjust training during those times. This will 💯 be what DT brings to the program. Good take!

Correct. Also heard there were eligibility issues. Not sure for certain what they were.
Were the eligibility issues the reason he did not crack the line up? OK State has always been successful with foreign wrestlers. Alan Gelogaev is the best one I can think of. Can not think of many other than him that have been so successful in the NCAA. I am probably missing quite a few in the last ten to twenty years.

Were the eligibility issues the reason he did not crack the line up? OK State has always been successful with foreign wrestlers. Alan Gelogaev is the best one I can think of. Can not think of many other than him that have been so successful in the NCAA. I am probably missing quite a few in the last ten to twenty years.
Yojiro Uetake, 3 x NCAA champ. That was a few years ago though

He just won the Inland Ellte wrestling tournament at 132# with a fall in the finals. He ranked 5th at 120 in Flo'a latest poll. His father Camilo Ramirez is his coach. He looked dynamic in the 132# final.
Or he’s good as is. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I have heard real good things about him, he probably gets overshadowed by a crazy class.

Reactions: AtownPoke
Just watched Ramirez's match v. Desmond (along with several others). First time I've really watched him, and it was a fun watch. He had the same swagger all the way through 0-0, 0-5, 4-5, and walking off at 8-5. He can score from his or his opponents shot (he hit a goofy af go-behind off of a Desmond shot right at the end of the first that I watched like 10 times) and is good at managing space. He looks like someone who will definitely win some matches at the next level regardless, but the ceiling is sky high.

Just watched Ramirez's match v. Desmond (along with several others). First time I've really watched him, and it was a fun watch. He had the same swagger all the way through 0-0, 0-5, 4-5, and walking off at 8-5. He can score from his or his opponents shot (he hit a goofy af go-behind off of a Desmond shot right at the end of the first that I watched like 10 times) and is good at managing space. He looks like someone who will definitely win some matches at the next level regardless, but the ceiling is sky high.
Would this mean we are not as interested in Jax?

Would this mean we are not as interested in Jax?
I watched 2 Ramirez matches in response to him committing to us. I wish I never watched the BO Bassett match because it was a folkstyle tech with complete domination. Ramirez could not even defend himself at all. He wrestled in the semi's against a wrestler from Gilroy where he won in a last period in overtime ride out. He did not get a takedown the whole match. He is a 2 time California State Champ and wrestling this next year for a 3rd but I am shocked that he stuck some with Lilledahl but I think we want Jax. I could not find a Lilledahl match.

I watched 2 Ramirez matches in response to him committing to us. I wish I never watched the BO Bassett match because it was a folkstyle tech with complete domination. Ramirez could not even defend himself at all. He wrestled in the semi's against a wrestler from Gilroy where he won in a last period in overtime ride out. He did not get a takedown the whole match. He is a 2 time California State Champ and wrestling this next year for a 3rd but I am shocked that he stuck some with Lilledahl but I think we want Jax. I could not find a Lilledahl match.
Moving forward, we aren’t recruiting a lineup, we are recruiting kids that want to be the best in the world.

You’ll see us grab kids that looks like a logjam waiting to happen, when in reality, we’ll have a logjam all through the lineup.

It will allow freedom for the Program and some for the kids as well. Just like PSU having the ability to let Starocci jump from 65 to 84 or 97, without losing points at the weight vacated.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Moving forward, we aren’t recruiting a lineup, we are recruiting kids that want to be the best in the world.

You’ll see us grab kids that looks like a logjam waiting to happen, when in reality, we’ll have a logjam all through the lineup.

It will allow freedom for the Program and some for the kids as well. Just like PSU having the ability to let Starocci jump from 65 to 84 or 97, without losing points at the weight vacated.
I agree. This is about kids that have a crazy desire to be great and alot of room before they hit their ceiling.

Also… don’t watch matches against Bo and make any kind of assumptions lol

But feel free to make all the assumptions in the world by the Lilledahl match 🤣🤣. I know I will

Last edited:
That’s my point. Just reading between the lines and I wonder if it’s saying we don’t have a shot at the very top guys?

That’s my point. Just reading between the lines and I wonder if it’s saying we don’t have a shot at the very top guys?
Since we were recruiting very good with the old staff if the new staff doesn't get some of the very top guys in the next 2 years, boy the pressure will jump on our new staff with the money they are making and the investments in the Program. The few moves they have made so far though very early would rate a C grade. That 2026 class will be very important for us.

Reactions: gyppoke
Since we were recruiting very good with the old staff if the new staff doesn't get some of the very top guys in the next 2 years, boy the pressure will jump on our new staff with the money they are making and the investments in the Program. The few moves they have made so far though very early would rate a C grade. That 2026 class will be very important for us.
That’s a fairly biased and leading opinion. They’ve taken 2 guys so far (late in the process I might add) and both are top 30 recruits. Ronnie was the top remaining prospect not named Marcus Blaze.

The grades on the new staff will come down to whether they can develop guys like Troy, Cael, Tagen, JWill and Plott. If those guys can jump a level then the rest will fall into place and they’ll be much more well thought of than John and crew were over the last decade.

Taking top classes and doing little with them means nothing.

Taking top ranked guys no matter roster need and then trying to make tweeners find a way to fit isn’t/wasn’t ideal.

Taking Ronnie because we don’t have an “in” with Blaze isn’t some huge loss

Reactions: DPJ
I think keeping Lockett and the majority of our wrestlers and previous recruits, is a solid start. Getting Routledge to flip was big. Carroll leaving stung for sure. I like the Ramirez get, I just don’t know what it means. It could be as simple as the desire to have as many arrows in our quiver as possible or it could mean we are focusing our efforts in other areas, in case we don’t land the biggest fish. Or, did the staff see something in Ramirez that other’s didn’t? The old staff, we could see the reason behind most recruits. Time will tell, I guess.

I would love to see our wrestlers jump a level in next year's results. That would really indicate something very good about our coaches but to compete with Penn. St. you have to recruit and get commitments from the top guys. It is not a biased view, our coaches are unproven, and time will indicate how good they are. Obviously great potential is there with our coaches but at this point nobody knows how good they are. They will be competing against an outstanding staff and everyone on this forum knows what my goal is for the Cowboys and that is winning 35. Are we closer to 35 with Taylor as our head coach versus Coleman, time will tell. Yes, development will be a big part of that answer but we need to recruit at a super high level because Penn. St. will. I stick with my point that the 2026 class will be very important for us and if we don't get a top wrestler in 2026 we aren't getting number 35 for quite a few years.

I would love to see our wrestlers jump a level in next year's results. That would really indicate something very good about our coaches but to compete with Penn. St. you have to recruit and get commitments from the top guys. It is not a biased view, our coaches are unproven, and time will indicate how good they are. Obviously great potential is there with our coaches but at this point nobody knows how good they are. They will be competing against an outstanding staff and everyone on this forum knows what my goal is for the Cowboys and that is winning 35. Are we closer to 35 with Taylor as our head coach versus Coleman, time will tell. Yes, development will be a big part of that answer but we need to recruit at a super high level because Penn. St. will. I stick with my point that the 2026 class will be very important for us and if we don't get a top wrestler in 2026 we aren't getting number 35 for quite a few years.
It’s true. Coaching and development, I’m pretty confident this staff can do. They’ve been doing it their entire career. Being organized and making contacts and getting high level recruits into the room, that takes time and experience. I think this staff can do it. Well, time will tell.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT