ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

lol it’s crazy how different he is on anything official. So calm and measured with each take and answer. Making sure to keep his sources clean and his thoughts defensible.

Lol then he gets in here and just spews. Kind of funny really. It doesn’t bother me all that much because it just seems like a message board schtick.

Or as 85 said… a severe drinking issue

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Perry isn’t the white knight and he isn’t as bad as some made him out to be. I think 💯 honest Perry would admit he maybe had little too much fun with the guys sometimes away from the mat . Hope he finds a spot to land and I appreciate his time here but a change was needed and happened.

i apologize. i'll try to be more measured and less of a d!ck.

but my god, the absolute ridiculous takes on here lately are astounding.
I bet we’d be okay with you flying off the handle if you gave us the courtesy of a reach around every once in awhile but you’ve just been hammering us. Give some insight and good news here and there. Butter us up a bit. No homo

I bet we’d be okay with you flying off the handle if you gave us the courtesy of a reach around every once in awhile but you’ve just been hammering us. Give some insight and good news here and there. Butter us up a bit. No homo
100% he’s like that youngest kid you have that runs the house. Give him what he wants and maybe no one gets hurt.

I myself asked what Chris Perry has done for OK State wrestling since winning his National Championships as a student athlete. In the post I said I was asking because I honestly did not know the answer. Still waiting on an answer. People on here took it as I was insinuating that Perry has done nothing for OK State wrestling. People are quick to take offense to questions like this, for what reason? I honestly do not know. The majority of people on boards like this are trying to learn and get the latest news on college wrestling. The ones that do know the most or think they know the most, are quick to attack or call someone stupid because of a simple question asked or an opinion does not line up with their own. I would say that "the absolute ridiculous takes on here lately are astounding" is the minority though.

From following college wrestling (not an expert by any means), I would say that the last seven or eight years this team went stale. Yes, they have brought in some top recruits, but the problem has been the majority of them never progressed, I would say quite a lot of them digressed. Recruits at other schools got better and left Oklahoma States top recruits behind them. You can have top recruiting classes every single year, but if they do not get any better, it doesn't turn into any points come tournament time. So, in the end that's all you have is top recruiting classes, no team trophies. And that is a direct reflection of the coaching staff.

This past season is the first year in a while that OK State has shown solid progression with their wrestlers. The only thing that changed with the coaching staff was the addition of Coleman Scott. So, I am going to say he was a big reason for the improvements these wrestlers made. I feel bad for how things turned out for him. This guy is a solid recruiter and a really good coach, and he is going to land on his feet running full speed with another good program. And that wrestling program is going to be lucky to have him!

I know I'm probably alone on this but I honestly didn't see progression with our wrestlers. I pretty much saw us perform very similar to how we performed in the past. About the only wrestler I thought improved throughout the year was JW; I think everyone else stayed the same or regressed as the year went on. I do think there was a bit more structure with the addition of CS because when practices were the responsibility of CP and ZE that they were a complete cluster F with no real consistency from one practice to the next.

I have no clue what DT will ultimately end up being as the HC; but I do think there will be more discipline and structure. Some kids will flourish and some will not like the change. That's fine, it happens everyday in business where new ownership or management comes in and changes things. People move on. Also just because someone moves on doesn't mean they aren't hard workers or disciplined; they just may just be the type that's more self disciplined and don't like being told what to do. To a degree I think we are all like that, I know I used to like mowing the lawn when I was a kid, absolutely hated to do it when I was told by my mom to do it. Human nature.

We will take a few lumps this year but I do think we are better situated for taking down PSU eventually than we were three months ago. I like to see progress and that's not something I'd seen in the past 3-4 years, recruiting class rankings don't mean squat if they don't develop or stick around.

I myself asked what Chris Perry has done for OK State wrestling since winning his National Championships as a student athlete. In the post I said I was asking because I honestly did not know the answer. Still waiting on an answer. People on here took it as I was insinuating that Perry has done nothing for OK State wrestling. People are quick to take offense to questions like this, for what reason? I honestly do not know. The majority of people on boards like this are trying to learn and get the latest news on college wrestling. The ones that do know the most or think they know the most, are quick to attack or call someone stupid because of a simple question asked or an opinion does not line up with their own. I would say that "the absolute ridiculous takes on here lately are astounding" is the minority though.

From following college wrestling (not an expert by any means), I would say that the last seven or eight years this team went stale. Yes, they have brought in some top recruits, but the problem has been the majority of them never progressed, I would say quite a lot of them digressed. Recruits at other schools got better and left Oklahoma States top recruits behind them. You can have top recruiting classes every single year, but if they do not get any better, it doesn't turn into any points come tournament time. So, in the end that's all you have is top recruiting classes, no team trophies. And that is a direct reflection of the coaching staff.

This past season is the first year in a while that OK State has shown solid progression with their wrestlers. The only thing that changed with the coaching staff was the addition of Coleman Scott. So, I am going to say he was a big reason for the improvements these wrestlers made. I feel bad for how things turned out for him. This guy is a solid recruiter and a really good coach, and he is going to land on his feet running full speed with another good program. And that wrestling program is going to be lucky to have him!
I agree. Scott is a great coach and barring the hire of DT he would have taken over.
I’m not sure if you asked or got an answer, that angry little individual named Smalls is Willie Saylor. He is either famous or infamous in wrestling circles

• Haha
Reactions: JAY45
I know I'm probably alone on this but I honestly didn't see progression with our wrestlers. I pretty much saw us perform very similar to how we performed in the past. About the only wrestler I thought improved throughout the year was JW; I think everyone else stayed the same or regressed as the year went on. I do think there was a bit more structure with the addition of CS because when practices were the responsibility of CP and ZE that they were a complete cluster F with no real consistency from one practice to the next.

I have no clue what DT will ultimately end up being as the HC; but I do think there will be more discipline and structure. Some kids will flourish and some will not like the change. That's fine, it happens everyday in business where new ownership or management comes in and changes things. People move on. Also just because someone moves on doesn't mean they aren't hard workers or disciplined; they just may just be the type that's more self disciplined and don't like being told what to do. To a degree I think we are all like that, I know I used to like mowing the lawn when I was a kid, absolutely hated to do it when I was told by my mom to do it. Human nature.

We will take a few lumps this year but I do think we are better situated for taking down PSU eventually than we were three months ago. I like to see progress and that's not something I'd seen in the past 3-4 years, recruiting class rankings don't mean squat if they don't develop or stick around.
We improved from the year before and we saw alot of improvement the first half of the season but we seemed to peak at about the road trip. Wore out, beat up and downhill from there.

We improved from the year before and we saw alot of improvement the first half of the season but we seemed to peak at about the road trip. Wore out, beat up and downhill from there.
This will absolutely be an area of change, and one Cael has refined more and more over the years. The wrestling dual meet season acts as 16 individual training sessions leading up to March. Less live wrestling in the room and fewer matches means healthier guys come March. This is where the "less emphasis on winning and more emphasis on the process of becoming a better wrestler" comes in. Matches become part of the process and not central to the process.

That said, there will be a week or so in January where the team looks like dog poop. Cael always has what I call hell week somewhere in the schedule and it wipes the guys out. Even the best guys are winded during this period.

Last edited:
I ran into Ringer a couple of weeks after he lost to a guy from mizzou. Ringer was taken down and ridden out for a period and half when the wrestler stuck his boots in. Ringer said they had gone through a week of hell before mizzou and he had nothing in the tank. I told Ringer that I was concerned if he met up with the guy at Nationals and Ringer grinned and said that guy was chump change and he would be ready for him. They did meet up in the second round and Ringer stalled out the last 30 of the first period to not tech the guy because Ringer wanted to go bottom to start the second. Ringer was out before mizzou could move and then Ringer scored for a TD to get his tech fall. Hell week is real.

In my opinion this is mostly true. Again a lot of it comes back to recruiting talent over character. We've seen way to much of that in the past 7-8 years and I don't need to mention names and Lord knows its hurt us. Now am I wrong or does that beg the question of what that says about the recruiter(s) doing that? Especially when their character has been called into question not once, not twice but literally several times through the years. I think everyone can objectively say we needed a culture change at OSU badly. Culture begins at the top gentlemen.

"It's nice to see everyone on the message boards playing nice and getting along" - Willie Saylor.

"I'm only here on your message board just to wreck you b****es"- Also Willie Saylor.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I could be wrong but it looks like he might be newer to wrestling. Some of these raw late upstart kids can slip through.
Carlton Haselrig comes to mind. Never wrestled a regular season bout in high school. Was given an exemption to wrestle post season as a senior since his high school didn’t have a team. Went 10-0 in the tournaments to become state champ. Lost only twice in college and was a six time national champ (3 in D3 and 3 in D1).

Reactions: TheJimReaper
I think (and hope) he’s closer to Mark Schultz: 4-6 Jr. year HS and quit the team; State champ Sr. year; solid 18-8 Fr. year at UCLA and qualified for NCAA (one and out); NC So., Jr., Sr. years at OU; Pan Am, World and Olympic champ.

Glad to see we’re getting some depth in that 57-65 range. Looks like someone who’s flown under the radar but it’ll be interesting to see going forward what he can do under this coaching staff. 👊🏻

Reactions: DPJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT