ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

So for us uninitiated about the top high school wrestling recruits and transfer possibilities, who do we need to be watching for now that David Taylor is in charge of OSU wrestling? Are there possible Penn State wrestlers or commits that might come here? National recruits who might change their commitment or uncommitted superstars who might sign here? I hear all of the excitement about DT, but wanting to know what immediate dividends we might see, if any,
Also, any news on exactly how much CR donated and possible allocation of the dollars to facility, salaries and NIL?
Haines and Kasak were both M2 (Taylor’s academy) kids but unsure if either ever leave PSU. Kazak more likely next year if stuck behind Van Ness or others.
Bo Bassett and Jax Forrest have spent time around DT and are future hammers. Rumor was we already were deep on Forrest anyways so this should help (some rumor he’s close with Scott though). Otherwise, I would say it gives a little more leverage to any Penn, Ohio, NY wrestler than we had before.

Chad had to have dropped millions and if the wrestling facility news is real I would peg it >25m would be my guess. But that’s a guess.

It was being discussed on one of the shows, I’ll try to find to post
I think it was BEG wrestling podcast...I heard it too. I'll admit though, when he said it I shook my head. Those two in particular I think were there to train with and around Dake. Hell, Duke even wears KD gear if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: AtownPoke
I think it was BEG wrestling podcast...I heard it too. I'll admit though, when he said it I shook my head. Those two in particular I think were there to train with and around Dake. Hell, Duke even wears KD gear if I'm not mistaken.
Duke and Ryder are KD trained not M2 athletes. Ryder skipped his senior and went to m2 to get a head start on college training he’s not an original like Haines/Kasak

Duke was on another level at U20
It was REALLY damn impressive.

Routledge looked FANTASTIC on his run to the finals (he had several good wins and completely out classed little Voinovich again, who was routinely beating him a year ago) and Duke beat him very convincingly.

That being said, I’d love it if we could snag Routledge from Nebraska as well. I know we have a resident know-it-all who isn’t so high on him. But he’s going to be a stud next level and I’m still a huge proponent of keeping top talent in-state regardless of who we’re bringing in from else where.

Routledge looked FANTASTIC on his run to the finals (he had several good wins and completely out classed little Voinovich again, who was routinely beating him a year ago) and Duke beat him very convincingly.

That being said, I’d love it if we could snag Routledge from Nebraska as well. I know we have a resident know-it-all who isn’t so high on him. But he’s going to be a stud next level and I’m still a huge proponent of keeping top talent in-state regardless of who we’re bringing in from else where.
💯

Heard Routledge was very intrigued with the hiring of DT

For those of us unfamiliar with nicknames, who is Zo?

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
I don’t think there are limits to rtc coaches. After that interview, it would persuade me to keep him
If it means you can keep Lockett signed and happy and get Jax then its a no brainer. I think he has his hands full with the youth club and Stillwater HS team as well so regardless of what DT decides to do he might still be around. Zo is listed as a coach on the CWC website and as of now there have been no announcements regarding that coaching position so hopefully he can still be involved.

Thanks for the update! Heard anything on any of the high school guys that may follow DT to OK State?
I don’t know if it’s coming early without NIL being involved in a major way. Willie has been hinting about it quite a bit. The pipeline to State College is holding strong until things are alittle more clear.

Thanks for the update! Heard anything on any of the high school guys that may follow DT to OK State?
Idk if follow is the right word. He def is going to get an option to pitch and we may get a couple guys to think about it, but otherwise nothing is gonna change for the next 6-9 months I bet.

I would like to think Blaze would take the phone call but I’ve also heard some crazy things about it between Ohio state and PSU so not sure we can slip into that fight this late.

I think PSU has circled the wagons in a major way. I’d assume the DT and Cael relationship will be hurt. As Cody said… “Cael gets what he wants”. The subtle message seems to be that DT was just one of his creations and nothing competitively special. PSU / Cael, still invented wrestling.

The playbook seems to be…“ Come in for the week and let me line up my other 20 thoroughbreds and show you who we are”. It’s crazy too that the old PSU guys still ask how high when Cael says jump. Kind of cultish but it’s good for them. DT is now like one of the main characters in an episode of Breaking Amish (or in this case… Mormon).

Breaking mormon would be a funny show. Does that mean they have to be monogomous? That seems to be the best point about that sect. (I kid. I kid. - mostly)

For this discussion, I'm pegging initial weights in college as 141 for Blaze and 149 for Bassett.

Regarding PSU I agree with AtownPoke that the Nick Lee hire was major insofar as keeping the recruits front and center. Nick has a ton of respect in the room already and with recruits. He will have quite a bit to do with Bassett and Blaze going to PSU if they do. PSU has a full court press on these two, and 141 opens up after next year for Blaze. Bassett at 149 in two years after a RS.

Ohio State. The draw here is Logan Stieber. Great coach to work with. 4 timer of course. I think the Ryan auto accident may be a hindrance for them. I posted TV station interview with him a week ago. He almost lost his left leg, and while I hope for a full recovery for him, I wonder if he will ever seriously be able to take the mat again as a coach. So Ohio State is a question mark, and as we know, question marks lose when there is a tie. Lastly, Davino looks like a 141, so there may be a weight conflict with another elite recruit for Blaze. A recruit such as Blaze won't shy away from Davino (beat him 2-0 last night) but there may be a disincentive with Ohio State.

OSU. I believe Taylor will have the opportunity to sway them to Oklahoma but I believe Bassett wants to remain local. I just can't see it for that reason, and that Bassett has a relationship at his weight in Nick Lee. Bo might still go to Ohio State, but my bet is PSU. I absolutely believe Blaze is who you guys will focus on, and in the end, I think you get Blaze. You have Gilman and Fix getting him polished for college and beyond. I know some say these two are a package but I don't see it. Bassett wants to stay east and has great options there. Blaze is there for the taking, and if I'm DT, I offer him a full ride to start building the recruiting mantra that the best come to OSU yada yada yada.

That's my take. PSU and OSU each get one.

Zack Ryder interview from last night after finals

Ryder: "I wanted to prove a point out here. You know, Gabe Arnold, he talks a lot about my teammate Carter Starocci. And I just took him out."

Reporter: "You feel Carter everyday, right, in a match. You feel him [Gabe Arnold]. Is there any match there between him and Carter?"

Ryder: "Absolutely not. Carter Starocci is a beast. He'll take anybody's head off that's in front of him ... so, he's a beast."

Reporter: "So, you'd say Carter would blow his doors off?"

Ryder: "Yes, I do. I'm saying that."

Zach is all-in on PSU and his "teammates" as I said.

Breaking mormon would be a funny show. Does that mean they have to be monogomous? That seems to be the best point about that sect. (I kid. I kid. - mostly)

For this discussion, I'm pegging initial weights in college as 141 for Blaze and 149 for Bassett.

Regarding PSU I agree with AtownPoke that the Nick Lee hire was major insofar as keeping the recruits front and center. Nick has a ton of respect in the room already and with recruits. He will have quite a bit to do with Bassett and Blaze going to PSU if they do. PSU has a full court press on these two, and 141 opens up after next year for Blaze. Bassett at 149 in two years after a RS.

Ohio State. The draw here is Logan Stieber. Great coach to work with. 4 timer of course. I think the Ryan auto accident may be a hindrance for them. I posted TV station interview with him a week ago. He almost lost his left leg, and while I hope for a full recovery for him, I wonder if he will ever seriously be able to take the mat again as a coach. So Ohio State is a question mark, and as we know, question marks lose when there is a tie. Lastly, Davino looks like a 141, so there may be a weight conflict with another elite recruit for Blaze. A recruit such as Blaze won't shy away from Davino (beat him 2-0 last night) but there may be a disincentive with Ohio State.

OSU. I believe Taylor will have the opportunity to sway them to Oklahoma but I believe Bassett wants to remain local. I just can't see it for that reason, and that Bassett has a relationship at his weight in Nick Lee. Bo might still go to Ohio State, but my bet is PSU. I absolutely believe Blaze is who you guys will focus on, and in the end, I think you get Blaze. You have Gilman and Fix getting him polished for college and beyond. I know some say these two are a package but I don't see it. Bassett wants to stay east and has great options there. Blaze is there for the taking, and if I'm DT, I offer him a full ride to start building the recruiting mantra that the best come to OSU yada yada yada.

That's my take. PSU and OSU each get one.
The word from the beginning was that Blaze and Bassett are either / or. You need Jax and the one of the two

The word from the beginning was that Blaze and Bassett are either / or. You need Jax and the one of the two
PSU is going after both understanding that Jax is a heavy OSU lean. With Jax, Blaze seems to be your best bet even though Taylor has more ties to Bassett. That said, I think Lee has close ties to Bassett and is where Bassett wants to be geography-wise. I think Gilman/Fix is a powerful lower weight name recognition combo.

Reactions: AtownPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT