ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

Franek and Caliendo to Iowa.
It’s legal. if you’re not gonna pay up, you’re gonna fall behind

College sports now has free agency.

Oklahoma State was screwed the minute and NIL was approved. We don’t have enough big pocket donors.

We will always be pretty good in middle of the pack but never be at the top in any sport consistently unless we find a buried shipwreck full of coins and jewelry.

It’s legal. if you’re not gonna pay up, you’re gonna fall behind

College sports now has free agency.

Oklahoma State was screwed the minute and NIL was approved. We don’t have enough big pocket donors.

We will always be pretty good in middle of the pack but never be at the top in any sport consistently unless we find a buried shipwreck full of coins and jewelry.
For fiscal year 19 (this was from a UCF article), we were second in the big12 in dollars raised (36m), 4th in active/alive alumni donating (4.25%), and first in avg donation size $4,235.

A lot of ways you can interpret this, but you can’t say we don’t donate with data like that. So is it a NIL thing? We don’t wanna pay kids to come play as bad as others? Personally, I don’t like what NIL turned out to be. Supported what it was intended to be though. Just spitballing here.

The private schools were excluding from the rankings.

Edit: probably more of a discussion for general NIL and not as wrestling related…

Reactions: DPJ
O'Brate/Pickens/Greenwood would like a word about no big donors at OSU
Track/equestrian/softball/golf would also like a word about not consistently being in the championship hunt
Wrestling/football, as well, would like a word about not having consistent success (last couple of years notwithstanding)

NIL is likely to get capped, too. Pros having salary caps but college teams not having caps is not going to last long.

OSU has the money and donors. Just a matter of moving funds and support around.

We certainly have the donors to win in wrestling, golf, and softball. The money being thrown around in football is just nuts.

We certainly have the donors to win in wrestling, golf, and softball. The money being thrown around in football is just nuts.
I don’t doubt we have some big donors who have proven to donate for facilities.Will they step up for NIL? Not sure we have ENOUGH big donors to compete.Every year we wait for donors we dig ourselves a bigger hole.I hope I can say I am wrong down the road.

PSU & Iowa are backed by individual donors who have given millions to those wrestling programs. It will be very difficult to match the funds needed to land top transfers (& recruits). Michigan & OhioSt will also be major players.

According to the Rutgers board, Goodale started a wrestling specific NIL fundraiser a couple of months ago (Dresser did the same at ISU). Goodale's goal is/was to raise $250K, with 50 donors contributing $5K each. When Shane Griffith became available, they couldn't match Michigan.

For wrestling we can get much more money that that. Transfers are selling for a bunch. Especially the fifth year senior that we have two more years from the Covid year off. We need to be smart and take advantage of true business marketing along with big donors.

I don’t doubt we have some big donors who have proven to donate for facilities.Will they step up for NIL? Not sure we have ENOUGH big donors to compete.Every year we wait for donors we dig ourselves a bigger hole.I hope I can say I am wrong down the road.
You are exactly right donors and nil donors are totally two different kind of donors. Giving money to a university or facilities is totally different than given money towards scholarships and in your pocket cash.

Just watched Daton’s match with Desanto thought he looked really sharp, could that be Guerrero in the room? That version of Daton can wrestle with Vito, in my opinion.
I want Daton to win as bad as anybody,in my opinion that version of Daton cannot beat Vito,go back and watch the last three matches, Gross,Garrett,DeSantos he won two of the three never took a shot. You can’t beat the best guys in the world countering. Vito showed that at the NCAA against Daton and RBY. This is not coaching it’s on Daton

You are exactly right donors and nil donors are totally two different kind of donors. Giving money to a university or facilities is totally different than given money towards scholarships and in your pocket cash.
I think most would prefer to donate to something tangible that will serve some purpose and have longevity at the university. NIL money (cash in pockets) is a short term investment with an unknown outcome of results.

Reactions: leecothran
I think most would prefer to donate to something tangible that will serve some purpose and have longevity at the university. NIL money (cash in pockets) is a short term investment with an unknown outcome of results.
I believe you’re half right but as we all know if we don’t play the game we can’t compete just like Coach G said in softball doesn’t matter how good your facilities are, if you don’t have the athletes that can compete

Are we asking them? I know some sports are very aggressively seeking NIL donations.

Are we asking them? I know some sports are very aggressively seeking NIL donations.
Yes we are and nil right now is not an issue in wrestling but they have to be very selective where it is used like Iowa right now. They are just throwing out hundreds of thousands of dollars where they’ve already got guys just as good as the ones they’re bringing in except for Franek

I believe you’re half right but as we all know if we don’t play the game we can’t compete just like Coach G said in softball doesn’t matter how good your facilities are, if you don’t have the athletes that can compete
This is correct I heard the coach G one or two years ago that holder told him not to worry about the stadium right now instead save that 40 million and use it for NIL.now that’s not saying they don’t need a new stadium but I think you need an NIL fund first

Speaking of Iowa, where does Anthony slot in for them? No spot this year. A Ferrari on the bench is asking for trouble lol
He will redshirt because Franek only has 1 more year left, or he can wrestle 149 if he can beat Voinovich or whoever else they have. It would not surprise me if Anthony can beat Voinovich. Iowa is worried about suspensions for gambling for a number of their wrestlers. Also I watched a little of junior duals. Heeg and Robb wrestled and won all of their matches I think util the final duals where both Heeg and Robb got teched by both Iowa and Wisconsin. They will have to really jump levels to be high level college wrestlers. Heeg shows more potential I think than Robb. Robb got beat soundly by a to be sophomore from Iowa Ross who likely will be a super wrestler if he keeps developing. One of the Mirasola's brothers also teched Robb. Heeg got beat soundly by the Iowa State recruit Nooktgaboren and by Minnesota recruit Ethan Riddle ranked 13th at 170. It appears Jordan, Hughes and Lockett did not wrestle for Oklahoma.

This is correct I heard the coach G one or two years ago that holder told him not to worry about the stadium right now instead save that 40 million and use it for NIL.now that’s not saying they don’t need a new stadium but I think you need an NIL fund first
Absolutely these are college kids. They will work out anywhere if you give them thousands of dollars in their pocket.

He will redshirt because Franek only has 1 more year left, or he can wrestle 149 if he can beat Voinovich or whoever else they have. It would not surprise me if Anthony can beat Voinovich. Iowa is worried about suspensions for gambling for a number of their wrestlers. Also I watched a little of junior duals. Heeg and Robb wrestled and won all of their matches I think util the final duals where both Heeg and Robb got teched by both Iowa and Wisconsin. They will have to really jump levels to be high level college wrestlers. Heeg shows more potential I think than Robb. Robb got beat soundly by a to be sophomore from Iowa Ross who likely will be a super wrestler if he keeps developing. One of the Mirasola's brothers also teched Robb. Heeg got beat soundly by the Iowa State recruit Nooktgaboren and by Minnesota recruit Ethan Riddle ranked 13th at 170. It appears Jordan, Hughes and Lockett did not wrestle for Oklahoma.
Heeg and Robb are depth guys and will be back ups they will not be starters

Flo made that Daton match available on YouTube as well. The best part is there are no announcers.

I agree with the post above -- Daton needs to score off his own offense. Look at Chance Marsteller. His offense was effective, but quite limited, coming into college. Now he's firing off leg attacks and getting in on Burroughs multiple times.

Alex Dieringer gave an interview a few years back. Said he worked on a lot new things in practice, but became "narrow minded" during actual matches. Might be the same with Daton.

Yes we are and nil right now is not an issue in wrestling but they have to be very selective where it is used like Iowa right now. They are just throwing out hundreds of thousands of dollars where they’ve already got guys just as good as the ones they’re bringing in except for Franek

Then we need to get louder with our ask. Our HC needs to get out and start beating the drum for supporters to back the RTC and NIL.

I want Daton to win as bad as anybody,in my opinion that version of Daton cannot beat Vito,go back and watch the last three matches, Gross,Garrett,DeSantos he won two of the three never took a shot. You can’t beat the best guys in the world countering. Vito showed that at the NCAA against Daton and RBY. This is not coaching it’s on Daton
Wait I thought coaches were 100% responsible for athletes' performance... at least that's what I read on here... lol

Giddens from Bixby commits to OU, might start to see a shift in their recruiting philosophy. Oklahoma kids who would be depth pieces in Stillwater have an opportunity to get on a D1 mat and stay close to home now.

Giddens from Bixby commits to OU, might start to see a shift in their recruiting philosophy. Oklahoma kids who would be depth pieces in Stillwater have an opportunity to get on a D1 mat and stay close to home now.

He is a high ceiling guy IMO but a guy who has a much clearer path to starting and will get more money to go to OU than here.

Great kid and family.

Reactions: osudog
With Giddens to OU it makes me think if we don't get Roller committed soon that might be a landing spot for him as well. Although I do think Roller has more (better) options.

With Giddens to OU it makes me think if we don't get Roller committed soon that might be a landing spot for him as well. Although I do think Roller has more (better) options.
Roller will probably end up at NC State I predict

He has some good people to train with at Northern Colorado! I wish him nothing but the best there. I love seeing a school like them get good wrestlers. Alirez, I thought may end up at Okie State, but went there. Took him a few years to end up on the podium but he ended up a National Champ. Can't wait to see how Mastro does there, I hope it works out for him!

He has some good people to train with at Northern Colorado! I wish him nothing but the best there. I love seeing a school like them get good wrestlers. Alirez, I thought may end up at Okie State, but went there. Took him a few years to end up on the podium but he ended up a National Champ. Can't wait to see how Mastro does there, I hope it works out for him!
Sure I hope it works out for him, but at a certain degree of his success it will start to reflect on the development issues we have here in the room. I had high hopes for him coming in and for whatever reasons it just didn't work out. I guess you could say the same for Voinovich. I wish him the best, but if he jumps major levels this year is that going to reflect negatively on our coaches and wrestler development? Or can you mark it up to just a change in environment or personal factors?

Reactions: osu2082 and tom_v31
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT