ADVERTISEMENT

Pardon my ignorance

One more question…

Is there truly another coach out there that can compete with what Sanderson is doing? It’s hard to be optimistic when someone just seems to be that much better. M

Here’s an excerpt from JT’s blog that caught my eye today in regards to what Van Ness did to Parco

“I've wondered for years the exact effects of Cael Sanderson's coaching. How he gets these kids to not only be able to generate their offense against extremely good opponents, but also teaching them to be able to defend and counter those with outstanding technique. It's just unreal how prepared, mentally, physically, dare I say spiritually he has his Nittany Lions.“

There's been a good bit of talk on this board about what makes PSU so successful. No one knows exactly, but here's what's been discussed...

$ - no getting around it. A wealthy donor flew Sanderson in on his private plane and courted him for the job. He donated millions to PSU's RTC in 2014. And he founded one of PSU's NIL collectives. $ allows them to get more top recruits & transfers, train them with some of the best senior level athletes in the world, and also replace anyone who doesn't perform.

$ is a big piece, but it's not the only thing. During Sanderson's run, PSU is something like 50-7 in the NCAA semis, 40-0 when the higher seed.

Quentin Wright & Jason Nolf have both said training & mindset are key. Cody Sanderson has taken detailed practice notes for over a decade and PSU uses it to structure workouts and avoid injuries. They know when to have hard practice sessions and when to have light ones. They encourage point scoring, "play" wrestling, and practicing unusual positions. And they scale back practice time as the season progresses. Peaking is the goal.

There's been a good bit of talk on this board about what makes PSU so successful. No one knows exactly, but here's what's been discussed...

$ - no getting around it. A wealthy donor flew Sanderson in on his private plane and courted him for the job. He donated millions to PSU's RTC in 2014. And he founded one of PSU's NIL collectives. $ allows them to get more top recruits & transfers, train them with some of the best senior level athletes in the world, and also replace anyone who doesn't perform.

$ is a big piece, but it's not the only thing. During Sanderson's run, PSU is something like 50-7 in the NCAA semis, 40-0 when the higher seed.

Quentin Wright & Jason Nolf have both said training & mindset are key. Cody Sanderson has taken detailed practice notes for over a decade and PSU uses it to structure workouts and avoid injuries. They know when to have hard practice sessions and when to have light ones. They encourage point scoring, "play" wrestling, and practicing unusual positions. And they scale back practice time as the season progresses. Peaking is the goal.
Thanks for the great reply. A lot of good info in there. That said, I really do wonder if you think there is a current match (or potential match) of school and coach out there that could push.

In regards to us and the new landscape, I wonder if OSU will ever have the commitment level or if there is true faith in Scott or some other coaches to challenge Sanderson’s coaching and development. There just seems to be alot of people who seem to believe that JS is too rigid to change at this point and as we’ve seen over the last few years of NIL… money is a problem at OSU.

Thanks for the great reply. A lot of good info in there. That said, I really do wonder if you think there is a current match (or potential match) of school and coach out there that could push.

In regards to us and the new landscape, I wonder if OSU will ever have the commitment level or if there is true faith in Scott or some other coaches to challenge Sanderson’s coaching and development. There just seems to be alot of people who seem to believe that JS is too rigid to change at this point and as we’ve seen over the last few years of NIL… money is a problem at OSU.

Someone will. Many thought the same about Saban at Bama and all of sudden GA has won the last two and looks the favorites for a third.

He will slow down or someone will close the gap. Don’t know when but it will happen.

Several other programs, including ours are finally getting serious about funding their RTC and now NIL.

I think there is also being changes made to the coaching approach and styles due to PSU. Scott is more in line with the “new” school approach in training and interacting with his wrestlers so the hope is when he takes over we will see the benefits. I think we will see some of it this year.

Someone will. Many thought the same about Saban at Bama and all of sudden GA has won the last two and looks the favorites for a third.

He will slow down or someone will close the gap. Don’t know when but it will happen.

Several other programs, including ours are finally getting serious about funding their RTC and now NIL.

I think there is also being changes made to the coaching approach and styles due to PSU. Scott is more in line with the “new” school approach in training and interacting with his wrestlers so the hope is when he takes over we will see the benefits. I think we will see some of it this year.
If you had to guess the number… What’s the gulf between our commitment and theirs in RTC, NIL, etc? Can we catch up or will it require a big donor stepping up?

I also think it’s interesting that what seems to be derailing Bama is that Saban is struggling with the new era of player movement and player entitlement. PSU seems to be doing very well with the changes.

One more question…

Is there truly another coach out there that can compete with what Sanderson is doing? It’s hard to be optimistic when someone just seems to be that much better. M

Here’s an excerpt from JT’s blog that caught my eye today in regards to what Van Ness did to Parco

“I've wondered for years the exact effects of Cael Sanderson's coaching. How he gets these kids to not only be able to generate their offense against extremely good opponents, but also teaching them to be able to defend and counter those with outstanding technique. It's just unreal how prepared, mentally, physically, dare I say spiritually he has his Nittany Lions.“

Yes give every club ten million and you would see a lot of team compete

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12

Change has been a problem NIL money has not been a problem

That's good to know, I'm glad it's not the other way around. Getting Coleman on staff is a big step in the right direction. I'm really interested to see how the team looks at the end of the season compared to the last couple of years

100% agree

Top end NIL for the top end transfers has been a problem. We have made really good progress here and are continuing to but we aren’t winning bidding wars right now.

Won't happen, but David Taylor at Iowa would certainly shake things up. David Taylor at any top school would shake things up really.

Also, since Coleman Scott was mentioned by you and others, I do think he could make OSU competitive for team titles. I've heard good things about him, on this board & also elsewhere.

I saw a brief clip of a Sanderson interview which I think was from earlier this month. He talked about the goals for his guys and that they don’t put too much emphasis on wins and losses but more the overall growth and development of the wrestler throughout the year and their career. Are they hitting their goals by improving their weaknesses, and are they progressing every week.

I would imagine that with the results OSU has had the last couple of years there is some pressure to win and perform with the guys and coaches. I’m not sure what the vibe in the room is this year, but if there is the “white elephant” in the room with winning it can cause issues with guys mentally and performance wise with the added pressure.

This would be a good question for someone who’s been in the room, Is coach smith one to dwell much on individual losses or is he forward thinking with the end results that matter most?

Top end NIL for the top end transfers has been a problem. We have made really good progress here and are continuing to but we aren’t winning bidding wars right now.
I think the best transfer portal guys want to go to a school that yes gives them a lot of money but also are at least competing for a National Championship or a high place. If we offered the same NIL as Penn. St., Iowa or Ohio State most top wrestlers would not choose us as you have indicated. We are rated about 11th in the Country now. Now if we soon prove we are competitive and a top wrestling school we can get our share of top portal guys if we have the NIL money. I have indicated this before that I have been a Georgia football and unfortunately basketball fan since I was a kid. Kirby Smart is a tremendous recruiter, very hard worker, innovative, spots talent but also character, and he and his staff are top notch at developing talent. Georgia found a much younger Nick Saban type coach, who was also trained by Saban but has some qualities that maybe exceed Saban.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Won't happen, but David Taylor at Iowa would certainly shake things up. David Taylor at any top school would shake things up really.

Also, since Coleman Scott was mentioned by you and others, I do think he could make OSU competitive for team titles. I've heard good things about him, on this board & also elsewhere.
It’s recruits more than coaching

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT