ADVERTISEMENT

otards america

This has nothing to do with anything, but I remember being in a bar in Hachinoe, Japan, in 1969, excusing myself to the bathroom. Standing at the urinal when the door opens and a woman walks past me on the way to the toilet. I about jumped out of my shoes, while the Japanese men also at the urinal didn’t do much as look. Was Japan ahead of times?

This has nothing to do with anything, but I remember being in a bar in Hachinoe, Japan, in 1969, excusing myself to the bathroom. Standing at the urinal when the door opens and a woman walks past me on the way to the toilet. I about jumped out of my shoes, while the Japanese men also at the urinal didn’t do much as look. Was Japan ahead of times?
Maybe that wasn't a woman...

41549975_1859978617432179_5027215445661319168_n.jpg

I've always gotten a kick out of these cultural differences. Not unusual to see women in the bathroom, especially in Southeast Asia.

When I was working in Bangkok, there was a woman whose only job was maintaining the bathrooms. Six days a week in a bathroom with no windows. You'd use the urinal and she'd clean it like a NASCAR pit crew the second you walked away. Amazingly enough, she made $5 a day, $30 a week for that gig. AND sent money back to Burma on that. Can't even imagine that life.

Then you move back to the States and they shut the bathroom down for the cleanings. Total contrast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT