ADVERTISEMENT

Common Sense Wins Again, SCOTUS Hands Leftist Another Defeat

2012Bearcat

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2010

Democrats can't be stupid enough to have thought they would ever win this case. Another example of Democrats abusing the power of government to punish people they do not like.

Correct ruling, IMO, and only poor faith arguments to say it is wrong.. I am more interested in the immunity case. That one is less clear to me. I think a ruling against immunity puts a bit of pressure on all of DC, and a ruling for immunity makes things quite muddy.

Democrats can't be stupid enough to have thought they would ever win this case. Another example of Democrats abusing the power of government to punish people they do not like.
"The majority announces that a disqualification for insurrection can occur only when Congress enacts a particular kind of legislation pursuant to Section 5 of the Fourteenth Amendment. In doing so, the majority shuts the door on other potential means of federal enforcement."

"In the years following ratification, the House and Senate exercised their unique powers under Article I to adjudicate challenges contending that certain prospective or sitting Members could not take or retain their seats due to Section 3."

"Any state enforcement of Section 3 against federal officeholders and candidates, though, would not derive from Section 5, which confers power only on “[t]he Congress.” As a result, such state enforcement might be argued to sweep more broadly than congressional enforcement could under our precedents. But the notion that the Constitution grants the States freer rein than Congress to decide how Section 3 should be enforced with respect to federal offices is simply implausible."

Now you have buffoons like Keith Olbermann saying the Supreme Court needs to be disbanded because of this decision…OMG what an idiot…this is beyond idiocy and really the liberals need to get some control over their mouthpieces…they all sing the same tune.

this case was NEVER going to work for the dems. It is a shame that reasonable people in their leadership cannot / do not take control and stop stuff like this.

Maybe the people that vote liberal should start taking a stance or two against their own people…this kind of stuff makes most people that think for themselves not trust any policy or even any statement that the liberal mouthpieces say.

Democrats missed their chance to call him an insurrectionist when he was impeached and acquitted.

Here is another thing, Congress has to enforce the 14th Amendment. They tried and failed. Anyone trying to use insurrection in any case against Trump just got destroyed.

Correct ruling, IMO, and only poor faith arguments to say it is wrong.. I am more interested in the immunity case. That one is less clear to me. I think a ruling against immunity puts a bit of pressure on all of DC, and a ruling for immunity makes things quite muddy.
It would seem to me that the president has immunity from direct prosecution for actions taken while president, unless he was prosecuted by Congress for those actions via an impeachment trial. Given that Trump wasn't convicted in his impeachment trial would, to me, imply his immunity is intact. Yes this does mean that he could have assassinated someone using Seal Team 6. If your crime is that heinous, getting 2/3rds of Congress to impeach shouldn't be an issue.

It would seem to me that the president has immunity from direct prosecution for actions taken while president, unless he was prosecuted by Congress for those actions via an impeachment trial. Given that Trump wasn't convicted in his impeachment trial would, to me, imply his immunity is intact. Yes this does mean that he could have assassinated someone using Seal Team 6. If your crime is that heinous, getting 2/3rds of Congress to impeach shouldn't be an issue.
I am not sure it is quite that simple. I agree, any actions within the purview of the presidency likely holds immunity (and rightfully so), but assassinating a competitor is acting outside that purview. I don't see immunity on that, but I am interested in the SCOTUS's interpretation there.

Both Trump impeachments were politically driven, nothing more. The lines were mostly drawn in the sand, and there was no way the GOP Senate was going to convict, so I don't think "immunity" was even considered. In recent climates, getting 2/3 of Congress to impeach (or agree on much of anything) would be a massive issue, so I disagree with you on that.

I am not sure it is quite that simple. I agree, any actions within the purview of the presidency likely holds immunity (and rightfully so), but assassinating a competitor is acting outside that purview. I don't see immunity on that, but I am interested in the SCOTUS's interpretation there.

Both Trump impeachments were politically driven, nothing more. The lines were mostly drawn in the sand, and there was no way the GOP Senate was going to convict, so I don't think "immunity" was even considered. In recent climates, getting 2/3 of Congress to impeach (or agree on much of anything) would be a massive issue, so I disagree with you on that.
I'm certain Democrat wouldn't vote to impeach a Democrat President but I think Republicans would if the crime were proven without question and serious.

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton

While I agree with you that getting 2/3rds of Congress to agree on something would be near impossible, I think its what the founding fathers intended. It was meant so trivial crap couldn't be used to overturn the will of the people. And I assume that logical people would think that ordering Seal Team 6 to assassinate a citizen would be something that even president's own party couldn't vote against. If not, then clearly we the people are electing the wrong kind of people into government.

Reactions: Tulsaaggieson
While I agree with you that getting 2/3rds of Congress to agree on something would be near impossible, I think its what the founding fathers intended. It was meant so trivial crap couldn't be used to overturn the will of the people. And I assume that logical people would think that ordering Seal Team 6 to assassinate a citizen would be something that even president's own party couldn't vote against. If not, then clearly we the people are electing the wrong kind of people into government.
What are our options brother?

What are our options brother?
Secession. No country can survive with such a diametrically opposed identities split nearly evenly across it. In the past, we governed towards the middle because you had to. Cabinet nominees and judges required a 60 vote approval which meant you had to be moderate to get votes from across the aisle. Budgets required a 60 vote approval which guaranteed some moderation and compromise. But over the past 20 years, we've eliminated all the guard rails that the founding fathers put into place to prevent extremism from either party from ruling the day. So now its just majority rule and you can put the most extreme conservative or liberal onto the bench. Now its just a majority vote to pass a continuing resolution to fund whatever the party in power wants. We don't even do budgets anymore. And because of this, we've seen VP Harris break more Senate voting ties than any VP in history, and has done it in only 3 years. And as we've moved towards the extremist positions, any candidate that runs anywhere near the middle gets primaried or lamblasted by their own parties. I give you protestors following Kristen Sinema into an airport bathroom as example A, and for example B, I can't count the number of solid Republican politicians who've been deemed "not Trumpy enough". Its too late to reinstall guardrails, so all I can hope is that ensuing future fracture will be peaceful.

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
Here is a random scenario based in the decision:

In 28 barrack decides to run for another term.

Do states have to keep him on the ballot?

Since only congress can remove them, what's to stop a democratic congress from not acting on it?

Secession. No country can survive with such a diametrically opposed identities split nearly evenly across it. In the past, we governed towards the middle because you had to. Cabinet nominees and judges required a 60 vote approval which meant you had to be moderate to get votes from across the aisle. Budgets required a 60 vote approval which guaranteed some moderation and compromise. But over the past 20 years, we've eliminated all the guard rails that the founding fathers put into place to prevent extremism from either party from ruling the day. So now its just majority rule and you can put the most extreme conservative or liberal onto the bench. Now its just a majority vote to pass a continuing resolution to fund whatever the party in power wants. We don't even do budgets anymore. And because of this, we've seen VP Harris break more Senate voting ties than any VP in history, and has done it in only 3 years. And as we've moved towards the extremist positions, any candidate that runs anywhere near the middle gets primaried or lamblasted by their own parties. I give you protestors following Kristen Sinema into an airport bathroom as example A, and for example B, I can't count the number of solid Republican politicians who've been deemed "not Trumpy enough". Its too late to reinstall guardrails, so all I can hope is that ensuing future fracture will be peaceful.
I'm not budging. The Founding Fathers would not at all see a balanced budget, shrinking the federal government, and preserving free speech and the Second Amendment as extremist. Those issues are just for starters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT