ADVERTISEMENT

OSU WRESTLING podcast

tom_v31

2nd Team
Jan 24, 2020
Bartlesville
I am an avid podcast listener and I always look for wrestling podcast, more specifically, anything that discusses OSU wrestling. I’m surprised we don’t have a dedicated podcast. Other top programs have their own podcast and we have the greatest program in history with very knowledgeable fans. Maybe there is one and I don’t know. Just thoughts.

Etched in Stone just came out with a 7 part series podcast about "The Smiths".

Just released today.
Listened to the first two episodes today. Been great so far, can't wait to finish the rest.

Reactions: ctdub
Finished listening to the podcast today. Man I loved it, what a great listen. I wish people were as passionate about wrestling now as they were then.

Reactions: vhsalum
Finished listening to the podcast today. Man I loved it, what a great listen. I wish people were as passionate about wrestling now as they were then.
It is fantastic I am taking my time and so I just finished episode 4. Pat Smith came in and talked about the wrestling room with John, Kenny Monday, Mike Sheets and Chris Barnes in the room. Chris Barnes was a senior during Pat's freshman season but the other 3 had graduated and were post college wrestlers and coaches. Boy it would be nice to keep our best wrestlers in the room (RTC) because Pat does a nice job of describing the benefit of having great wrestling partners not just good partners. It seems his freshman year he wrestled mostly with Chris Barnes and he does describe their practices well. Chris Barnes was one of my favorite Cowboy wrestlers. He came into Stillwater if my memory is right as a dominant junior National Champion ( which is Fargo now but not in Fargo then). My memory is he struggled for several year and was an All American as a Sophomore and the light bulb came on and he dominated on his feet and was a 2 time National Champ. If I remember right his senior year he never gave up 1 takedown. Jumping levels after his 3rd year in the wrestling room is what I would like to see more often. Listening to episode 4 really makes me think I wish Pat would have been in the wrestling rooms all these years and what his effect would have had on our history. Our past is full of wrestling greatness hopefully we get on that path again.
I listened last night to John Smith talking to the media and it tied to what Pat said about what John said to him after he got pinned by Russell. Coach Smith is going to say what he thinks. One of the O'Colly guys asked his assessment of Boo being undefeated and seemed to think John would lather all this praise on Boo. Coach Smith thought a moment and basically said he has been dissatisfied with Boo's wrestling. He thought Boo was not scoring like he could or should in his matches. I remember a long time ago a 190 pounder named McGrew was starting to jump levels and John was asked about him and he said McGrew needed to now separate from his opponents instead of having close matches. McGrew did keep jumping levels and began distancing himself more and more from his opponents. I remember him winning Nationals that year when at the beginning of the year that was not at all expected by most. Our history is full of great moments, and the Smiths should have several more honors like maybe Team Championships 35 and 36 and so on. We are on the path we just need a few more good changes. Excuse the long post but this podcast has got me thinking about the past. and hopefully a bright future.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT