ADVERTISEMENT

OSU at Iowa

This is not our year but I am enjoying watching the young guys develop, we've seen much improvement.
VV is headed in the right direction. Murin has been in a lot of battles and is a round of 12 guy. CY took it on the chin today. Hopefully next season Fix can go 125 and CY 133. Real Woods is stronger than I remember. Surber could have easily beaten a 4x AA today.

Whole match was so boring to watch. I had no idea how people were picking Plott to win before the match. He has been off for the last 3-4.

This is not the kind of dual that helps with ratings or bringing in new fans.Snoozefest

Iowa went 6-1 in matches decided by 3 points or less. Total points scored were 43-27 with Daton scoring 11 of those

Last edited:
It’s kinda disturbing to hear PSU and Iowa boards say Great wrestlers go to OSU and never develop.

Reactions: bwel9339
It’s kinda disturbing to hear PSU and Iowa boards say Great wrestlers go to OSU and never develop.
Hopefully CWC will get fast tracked and funded so they won’t go elsewhere. That’s the glaring difference between us now and back in the 02-06 run. Post-grad, we were a destination room. The last decade, we have lost this. I think supporting CWC is the only way we get this back.

I guess they haven't been watching Carter Young the last month, or Surber, or Doucet. They wouldn't exactly qualify as "great" but regardless those 3 stick out as wrestlers who have developed this season. I'll take it from PSU but Iowa doesn't have a ton of ground to stand on IMO. Cassioppi and Warner have improved with Warner making the finals last year, but who have they turned into a monster lately that wasn't already "great"? Murin has been a R12 guy. Assad hasn't done anything. Maybe Patrick Kennedy, but that's a wait and see for nationals.

Iowa has 3 great wrestlers, all the others are push and grab types, hanging on and stalling not wanting to engage, they found ways to win at home with favorable refs. Will likely be a different story if we meet up with them again for several of our guys.

The development topic is big and probably needs someone to take a deep dive. But I wouldn't put much stock in what Iowa & PSU fans have to say. Not really the most objective bunch.

Victor Voinovich was #15 on the 2021 Big Board and Wyatt Henson was #16. Who has shown more to this point? But Iowa didn't stick with Henson, they replaced him with Real Woods. Seth Nevills was #17 on the 2018 Big Board and was thought to be the best of the brothers. He didn't develop so PSU replaced him with Kervliet.

Regarding the RTC, it won't mean much until John is fully behind it. And that means more than a 20 second sound bite at the golf outing. It means getting out in front and really pushing the RTC forward. That said, I still think it's only 1 (big) part of the development discussion. UPenn has Jordan Burroughs, Mark Hall, Joey McKenna & David McFadden. You aren't going to see them win a team trophy anytime soon. I think we also need to be talking about avoiding injuries, partying, wrestling the right weight class (Collica spent a year @ 141 & a year @ 157), and training methods.

Didn't get to watch yesterday but kind of glad I didn't and glad the last match I got to see was Bedlam. Right now the only guy that I'm really kind of disappointed in his development is DP. He's had a really tough last few weeks, completely out of character from what we'd seen up to that point. Someone earlier said he might be dealing with some injuries but who knows? I'm hopeful that some time off before the Big 12 helps him figure a few things out. Wyatt is Wyatt and seems to wrestle to his competition level. I'd compare him to the Nebraska football team and their uncanny ability to lose so many one-possession games, flip it around and they are one of the best in the country. Pulling for Wyatt just not disappointed anymore. The rest of the guys I think have all improved, not sure anyone has really jumped a level but CY, VV, and LS all look like they will have a chance to AA depending on their draws. KD I think has wrestled smart most matches, he knows what his skills are and doesn't put himself in too many bad spots. TW is healthy and fights hard at 184 even though I think he's probably a bit outmatched size-wise.

Heard a few rumors over the weekend that are quite interesting, doubt there is too much truth to them but they would be pretty cool if they came through. No, it wasn't about any large donation or anything to do with the RTC. Although I think it would help the RTC come to fruition much quicker if what I heard came true.

Nah, can't spill them on here. It's just rumors that he's heard so you can take it with a grain of salt. If you are really interested feel free to PM me.

I just watched the OSU Iowa dual. We have several wrestlers who appear to have no clue where they are on the mat or where the hell the clock is. Dumb decisions in the last few seconds. Wittlake will not All American at 184. He does not have a strength or speed edge over most of the 184 pounders and should have been taken down 2-3 more time by Assad. Seems like he has peaked.

Overall we just struggled in the close matches. Give it up to Iowa, they figure out how to win the 1 point or 1 takedown matches regardless if it is ugly or defensive. It is still a W.

Last edited:
We are entering an era where getting a finalist at a weight you need is as simple as ponying up NIL $. I really, really, hope that our top priority this offseason is adding 3-4 guys in the portal that can make an immediate impact. It's nice that guys like Carter have progressed this year, but if we are celebrating high ranked hs guys being fringe-AA caliber after two years on campus, then we have drastically lowered our expectations for Cowboy Wrestling.

We are entering an era where getting a finalist at a weight you need is as simple as ponying up NIL $. I really, really, hope that our top priority this offseason is adding 3-4 guys in the portal that can make an immediate impact. It's nice that guys like Carter have progressed this year, but if we are celebrating high ranked hs guys being fringe-AA caliber after two years on campus, then we have drastically lowered our expectations for Cowboy Wrestling.
Truth 💯

Reactions: vhsalum
I mean look at the guy from NDS. I think he is ranked #3 at 157. Are you telling me we can't even afford guys like him? If you want to win and be competitive you have to go the free agent route.Period. If not then stay mediocre.

Report is Iowa got Woods for 6 figures, some report high 6 figures, prob gets them a two year finalist. Do you know 4 individuals willing to throw a half million at the problem or perhaps one at $2M? There are only so many guaranteed finalist out there, Iowa probably got a deal, the next round may be more expensive.

Reactions: gyppoke
A poster on the OU board said Buchanan is on zero scholly $ this year, it's 100% NIL. Same with Henson.

How do you coordinate NIL to make sure we are getting the right results for the money and not be in violation with the NCAA? Pretty sure most NIL money could be there, but last thing I want to do is get OSU in trouble with the NCAA.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought NIL money had to come from outside sources not directly from the university. Like OSU can't just take money from a account and pay a kid to come wrestle. That would make the situation far more lopsided with schools like Mich and some Ivey leagues having billion dollar endowments.

Pat , I am pretty sure you are correct. As a supporter I have no idea how to utilize NIL to encourage a wrestler to come to OSU. Last thing a supporter wants to do is get us in trouble. I have no idea how this could be coordinated.

Pat , I am pretty sure you are correct. As a supporter I have no idea how to utilize NIL to encourage a wrestler to come to OSU. Last thing a supporter wants to do is get us in trouble. I have no idea how this could be coordinated.
Pokes with a purpose is OSU’s NIL. I’m not sure how the details are ironed on how an athlete is offered/approached.

Collectives are a clever above board way to exploit NIL. But this video discusses what's really happening behind the curtain. Willie & company talk about Real Woods, Shane Griffith, Suriano & Buchanan.

The short story is that teams are having third parties approach top wrestlers and offer NIL $ if they enter the portal. One example given is boosters working through someone's HS coach. That's for transfers, but I'm sure elite HS recruits are being approached as well.

Reactions: DPJ
If you get a transfer you do not have to pay the money out twice. This is pretty crappy how schools will not be committing to athletes for their career. If you prove yourself you can go into the portal and get paid a bunch for one transfer. Not much incentive to give a high school wrestler NIL money. Just play the transfer game.

I think the flaw in their logic is that there is a finite amount of money to win a championship. When a team is winning more money follows. Penn State raised money until they started winning. Cenzo is full of crap as the NIL is not done per school. It is done by companies that get value out of the NIL and it is private market.
The NCAA cannot restrict the NIL by sport. The cow is out of the barn and it is an arms race.

I think the flaw in their logic is that there is a finite amount of money to win a championship. When a team is winning more money follows. Penn State raised money until they started winning. Cenzo is full of crap as the NIL is not done per school. It is done by companies that get value out of the NIL and it is private market.
The NCAA cannot restrict the NIL by sport. The cow is out of the barn and it is an arms race.
Thats how it supposed to be but not what is happening, just as programs are supposed to be limited to 9.9 scholarships for recruiting but some have found ways to sneak around those regs. The NCAA just can't keep up.

Ionel, you are absolutely correct. John and the staff have no way of controlling high level recruits now that NIL is a factor. I put in a query in the Pokes with a purpose, but have not received a response at this time. It is essential that this be done correctly and there are many perverse incentives if done incorrectly will be either fruitless or worse yet cause NCAA violations. Do not look to our wrestling coaches to do this as that would be illegal.

Reactions: JAY45 and turfpoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT