ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Lineup

Tagen is looking pretty lean. Doesn’t appear to be bulking.

Surber looks like he’s got some work to do to get back to full strength.

Also, always forget how physically impressive Haas looks. Perhaps a different coaching perspective will be what he needs to develop.

Also, always forget how physically impressive Haas looks. Perhaps a different coaching perspective will be what he needs to develop.
I feel like tagen could still look lean at 149. He was a big 141er.

I really liked Haas early on and expected a ton more this far, but that last few outings have just been so brutal to watch. Would be a true Cinderella story to turn that around.

I feel like tagen could still look lean at 149. He was a big 141er.

I really liked Haas early on and expected a ton more this far, but that last few outings have just been so brutal to watch. Would be a true Cinderella story to turn that around.
Like I said somewhere else those guys have had some hard practices and I was blown away when I was told what some guys were weighing afterwards. I'm wondering if they will tone it down some when season gets here and guys start actually pulling? I think thats how psu does it but cant be sure?

Surber is coming off surgery so I'm sure it'll take awhile. Ive seen Surber and Haas go at it in the room and those two work like their asses are on fire. As hard or harder than anyone else. From what I was told about Haas, great kid, and is a total MONSTER in the room. but for some inexplicable reason he struggles when the lights are on.

I try to always remember that these guys are all trying their best no matter what happens, and it abhors me that guys are called “holes” in a lineup. I recall my wife and I attending the 2019 Southern Scuffle, and we ran across four PSU wrestlers hanging around outside between sessions. I got a pic of my wife in the middle of Bo Nickal, Mason Manville, Mark hall, and Devin Schnupp. My wife didn’t know any of these guys until I told her afterwards, and she said that the little guy (our 125 Schnupp), asked her if we really wanted him in the pic because he wasn’t very good. Her response was, “you’re our guy and we love ALL of our guys”. I was proud of her for saying that. It must be tough to be THAT guy on a strong team.

That actually makes me feel pretty bad for the kid, must have been incredibly tough to be the weak link on such a dominant team.

If he is hanging out with the "strong links", I don't think they made him feel that way!
I think teammates are what a guy can depend on, which is the culture being taught in Stillwater. That's the secret sauce. Be a band of brothers and lean on each other. Have fun with each other. I think about his comment from time to time, and how things said from the stands or message boards must affect a young man. He went 6-17 that year. I am so happy my wife said that no matter what, you're our guy. I'm sure the teammates would say the same thing. I sometimes wonder where he ended up.

Just looked him up. Works in the family lawn care business. Putting his turf science degree to good use. He is also an asst coach at his former HS. Good for him.

Reactions: FatWoodchuck
That actually makes me feel pretty bad for the kid, must have been incredibly tough to be the weak link on such a dominant team.
If he is hanging out with the "strong links", I don't think they made him feel that way!
I think teammates are what a guy can depend on, which is the culture being taught in Stillwater. That's the secret sauce. Be a band of brothers and lean on each other. Have fun with each other. I think about his comment from time to time, and how things said from the stands or message boards must affect a young man. He went 6-17 that year. I am so happy my wife said that no matter what, you're our guy. I'm sure the teammates would say the same thing. I sometimes wonder where he ended up.

Just looked him up. Works in the family lawn care business. Putting his turf science degree to good use. He is also an asst coach at his former HS. Good for him.
It’s like Pearsall. He was a 1 time qualifier if I remember right and he was super tight with DT. He was a groomsman in DTs wedding and just got the RC job.

Honestly, there aren't a whole lot of people that should be downgrading guys that have the ability to Wrestle at the level it takes to earn a spot on a big time roster.

I know I am guilty of it some of the time, but I shouldn't be and I regret saying things I have.

It’s like Pearsall. He was a 1 time qualifier if I remember right and he was super tight with DT. He was a groomsman in DTs wedding and just got the RC job.
That's exactly right. I remember Pearsall being from the prior staff so was not a Cael guy in that sense. He fought like hell when he was out there. Was just outgunned at times as I recall. May have had an injury as well. It's been 15 years.

Yes, was a one time qualifier, losing to Feikert in consis. His last career match was to a Cowboy. How is that some fate!

It only took me a sentence to write what you wrote! 🍻

Really good article from the STWNewsPress

-Its been rocky but it’s starting to smooth out. The staff is rolling with them daily and building trust.
-Fish officially to 157. DT wants multiple competitive guys at each weight pushing each other through the summer and fall. See who wants it.
-BT was right there with CC but decided to stay. DT gave him a good vision and he’ll more than likely redshirt and prepare for 184 in ‘26
-CC caught them off guard. Plott seemed to politely question the move.
-The old staff and regime are still very hurt. Cathy Perry said Chris has “cut ties”.
-Caldwell had a big job the last few months
-Plott doesn’t seem to be redshirting. Even with CStar more than likely going 184 now. The only thing to the contrary is that Fish definitely said a RS was still on the table and BT said a RS was about 60%.

Last edited:
Really good article from the STWNewsPress

-Its been rocky but it’s starting to smooth out. The staff is rolling with them daily and building trust.
-Fish officially to 157. DT wants multiple competitive guys at each weight pushing each other through the summer and fall. See who wants it.
-BT was right there with CC but decided to stay. DT gave him a good vision and he’ll more than likely redshirt and prepare for 184 in ‘26
-CC caught them off guard. Plott seemed to politely question the move.
-The old staff and regime are still very hurt. Cathy Perry said Chris has “cut ties”.
-Caldwell had a big job the last few months
-Plott doesn’t seem to be redshirting. Even with CStar more than likely going 184 now. The only thing to the contrary is that Fish definitely said a RS was still on the table and BT said a RS was about 60%.

Good stuff. I thought Starocci was going 197 tho?

Great article. I was coming to share that if no one else had. I think Fish will end up RSing because I don’t think he can beat Teague.

What weight Starocci will go is still up in the air. I’m leaning 197. It’ll depend on which young guy does the best at either weight I’m thinking.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Great article. I was coming to share that if no one else had. I think Fish will end up RSing because I don’t think he can beat Teague.

What weight Starocci will go is still up in the air. I’m leaning 197. It’ll depend on which young guy does the best at either weight I’m thinking.
IMO, the best weight for Starocci for PSU is 197. There is a logjam from 165-184 that would only be made worse if Starocci dropped into 184. Now it could be that Starocci at 184 is a more optimal weight for him to win a title, and if so, that will be the weight he wrestles. The we would be scrambling to fill 197 for a year unless Connor Mirasola gives up his RS.

IMO, the best weight for Starocci for PSU is 197. There is a logjam from 165-184 that would only be made worse if Starocci dropped into 184. Now it could be that Starocci at 184 is a more optimal weight for him to win a title, and if so, that will be the weight he wrestles. The we would be scrambling to fill 197 for a year unless Connor Mirasola gives up his RS.
If Carter does go 184, I do not think they would burn the RS of Mirasola. Cochran is no slouch at all and would definitely compete for a spot on the podium at 197.

If Carter does go 184, I do not think they would burn the RS of Mirasola. Cochran is no slouch at all and would definitely compete for a spot on the podium at 197.
I agree. I think our best lineup is Carter to 197 but I think PSU wins either way. PSU loses a lot of veteran leadership and points after this year (Kerk, Carter, Beau Bartlett), and I think the weakest we will be is 2026. After that, these last couple recruiting classes are very strong. Will be interesting to see how Taylor's entrance into coaching influences recruiting going forward. I could see Logan Steiber becoming HC at Ohio State in 3-5 years, and especially the face of their recruiting. Odd man out could be Iowa until Brands leaves in 2029.

I agree. I think our best lineup is Carter to 197 but I think PSU wins either way. PSU loses a lot of veteran leadership and points after this year (Kerk, Carter, Beau Bartlett), and I think the weakest we will be is 2026. After that, these last couple recruiting classes are very strong. Will be interesting to see how Taylor's entrance into coaching influences recruiting going forward. I could see Logan Steiber becoming HC at Ohio State in 3-5 years, and especially the face of their recruiting. Odd man out could be Iowa until Brands leaves in 2029.
2026 is the year everyone better buy tickets!

I think Steiber is named HC in waiting this season and they may give Ryan a chance for 2026?

I’ll have to check myself, but ISU wins it in 2026.

I’ll have to check myself, but ISU wins it in 2026.
Wins what? Certainly not a title. They have too many soft spots in 2026. Despite the old guard leaving PSU, they will still score 120 in 2026. I thought if OSU could RS everyone then you guys would have a chance at the title but it seems like RS'ing everyone in 2025 may not happen. Ohio State is the biggest title threat in 2026 due to recruiting. I still like OSU as top 2 or 3.

Wins what? Certainly not a title. They have too many soft spots in 2026. Despite the old guard leaving PSU, they will still score 120 in 2026. I thought if OSU could RS everyone then you guys would have a chance at the title but it seems like RS'ing everyone in 2025 may not happen. Ohio State is the biggest title threat in 2026 due to recruiting. I still like OSU as top 2 or 3.
Just saying, they’re, there, their, them is something to watch for…just wait.

Also, jumping out and stating 120 is pretty damn arrogant.

On second thought @Pennstate1985 you guys have averaged around 120 for a decade…so not too arrogant.

You guys lose around 60 points, which sadly, for the rest of us, is around 120.

Dammit I gotta like Nickal

Go listen to the Jocko podcast he had with Nickal, if you have time. Huge fan of his after hearing that interview. Never was prior to that.

On second thought @Pennstate1985 you guys have averaged around 120 for a decade…so not too arrogant.

You guys lose around 60 points, which sadly, for the rest of us, is around 120.
I can see why it would come across as arrogant, but wasn't meant to be. In 2026, PSU will have Lilledahl, Davis, Duke, Kasak, MM, Haines, SVN, Barr, Mirasola, Mirasola as potential guys in the lineup. Six of those guys are potential finalists, which is how I roughly came up with 120 points two years out. A lot will change between now and then.

! L
I can see why it would come across as arrogant, but wasn't meant to be. In 2026, PSU will have Lilledahl, Davis, Duke, Kasak, MM, Haines, SVN, Barr, Mirasola, Mirasola as potential guys in the lineup. Six of those guys are potential finalists, which is how I roughly came up with 120 points two years out. A lot will change between now and then.
Sure but when MM and Haines portal to OSU ... ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT