ADVERTISEMENT

New wrestlers on radar

LeftyHeadLock

Recruit
Jun 29, 2018
What wrestlers impressed the most at Fargo, to find themselves on the cowboy coaching staff radar?

113-Culien Schriever was a double champ and looked tough. BUT probably staying in the state of Iowa.

152- Tate Picklo-Freestyle champ and Greco placer. In-state kid.

170-Kharchla- kid is impressive! This would affect our chances at getting Plott in the future though imo. Just gotta hope you land the better prospect.

100-Jordan Williams-Freestyle Champ, instate kid, great athlete.

Who else makes the list?

Since Kharhla is a year younger than Plott. You have to go after Plott. You never know if one of them will have a growth spurt, but between the two of them there is a potential for a lot of national champions

Reactions: LeftyHeadLock
Since Kharhla is a year younger than Plott. You have to go after Plott. You never know if one of them will have a growth spurt, but between the two of them there is a potential for a lot of national champions
Kharchla is a year older than Plott. He is class of 2019.
Eli Griffin (2021) won a Greco title this week.
Reece Witcraft (2019) had a great week.
Rylan Rogers (2022) placed 6th at Cadet 152. He is the cousin of Jordan and Chandler. Good tournament for an 8th grader.

Still think you go for Kharchla as he is a beast and these guys are pretty young and growth does happen. Thanks for the correction as I was thinking of our signee.

Still think you go for Kharchla as he is a beast and these guys are pretty young and growth does happen. Thanks for the correction as I was thinking of our signee.
Who can really judge how a wrestler grows but Plott as a junior looks like he is really starting to grow and would not surprise me if he was in the 184-197 range in college. We have to go after both. Kharchla's build, stocky and muscular and shorter seems to dictate he will stay in the 174 range. This should in no way scare off Plott as wrestlers of that caliber do not think they are going to lose and he knows he will be bigger.

Who can really judge how a wrestler grows but Plott as a junior looks like he is really starting to grow and would not surprise me if he was in the 184-197 range in college. We have to go after both. Kharchla's build, stocky and muscular and shorter seems to dictate he will stay in the 174 range. This should in no way scare off Plott as wrestlers of that caliber do not think they are going to lose and he knows he will be bigger.
Seems the question at hand would be if there's enough money available for a 2019 kid or if it's all allocated.

Reactions: osu2082
When you have a high recruit interested in your school in the top four or five weights you go after them. Since that area is typically very thin those guys put up more points for a high recruit than the lighter guys.

Seems the question at hand would be if there's enough money available for a 2019 kid or if it's all allocated.
Plus we lose Weigel, White, Rogers, Smith (Juco), Martinez, Blaylock and maybe the wrestler who is left out in our first 4 weight class after wrestle offs This would be a lot of scholarship money but we have the 2 Edinborough transfers and Kirkvliet coming in. We should have money for at least 1 more blue chip recruit this next year such as Karchla.

Plus we lose Weigel, White, Rogers, Smith (Juco), Martinez, Blaylock and maybe the wrestler who is left out in our first 4 weight class after wrestle offs This would be a lot of scholarship money but we have the 2 Edinborough transfers and Kirkvliet coming in. We should have money for at least 1 more blue chip recruit this next year such as Karchla.

Gotta figure we have scholarship $ available for a couple more top guys, right? In addition to the ones you listed, we also graduate Mike Magaldo, a top 50-100 recruit. And the transfers are likely a wash (Keegan Moore - Dakota Geer, GWH - Andrew Shomers), meaning we never replaced Ethan Andersen's scholly (was ranked around 60th).

We definitely need to go after Kharchla if he's interested. As we saw with AJ Ferrari, being the front runner for Plott doesn't mean much because things can change in a hurry. Kharchla looks to have a similar build to Marstellar, maybe around 5'6", so he's probably a career 165 lb / 74 kg. And as Obe posted, Plott will likely be bigger, at least a college 174, maybe more. And since all these guys have international aspirations, we might see something like Kharchla 165/74 kg, Wittlake 174/79 kg, Plott 184/86kg, with Travis dropping down for the Olympic years.

Gotta figure we have scholarship $ available for a couple more top guys, right? In addition to the ones you listed, we also graduate Mike Magaldo, a top 50-100 recruit. And the transfers are likely a wash (Keegan Moore - Dakota Geer, GWH - Andrew Shomers), meaning we never replaced Ethan Andersen's scholly (was ranked around 60th).

We definitely need to go after Kharchla if he's interested. As we saw with AJ Ferrari, being the front runner for Plott doesn't mean much because things can change in a hurry. Kharchla looks to have a similar build to Marstellar, maybe around 5'6", so he's probably a career 165 lb / 74 kg. And as Obe posted, Plott will likely be bigger, at least a college 174, maybe more. And since all these guys have international aspirations, we might see something like Kharchla 165/74 kg, Wittlake 174/79 kg, Plott 184/86kg, with Travis dropping down for the Olympic years.

We will have more money when moran transfers out before the school year and picc after he doesn't find himself in the line up. the new transfer rules makes it easy for guys to leave now so expect some good guys to leave...

We will have more money when moran transfers out before the school year and picc after he doesn't find himself in the line up. the new transfer rules makes it easy for guys to leave now so expect some good guys to leave...

Disappointing that some others may leave, but certainly understandable. These guys work hard and deserve a shot to compete.

Do you expect Kaid to stay down at 133 and squeeze Picc out of the lineup?

Disappointing that some others may leave, but certainly understandable. These guys work hard and deserve a shot to compete.

We have a bottleneck at the lower weights but I would hate it to see Pic leave.

I would hate to see Picc leave, but I would hate it even more (for him) to see him stay home and not bake the podium because of the depth in the room. I am sure we will see wrestlers leave and the reason they left not improving or getting injured causing them to be higher on the podium.
It will also be interesting at our bottleneck at 165 and 174 if Joe cannot make 157 anymore. I think a healthy Jacobe Smith with both knees working will be a force to be reckoned and should be placing in the top 6 at 174.

kaid doesn't seem to be a huge 33 lbs but he does cut a good amount so i can see him trying 41 but not sure he will be as successful as he would be at 33. One thing for sure is nick p is not a 133 lb. he is not even a big 25lb so his success would be limited at 33. i am not sure what will happen but we will have to wait and see. i would hate for nick to go because he is a good kid and he will be a top 4 125 next year and Moran is a all american contender. dayton at 33 is our best choice but he mentioned his aspirations of going 25 this year.

If i was nick i would stay just to see if dayton could make 125 after a 1 hour weigh in for the whole season. i have to see it to believe it.

kaid doesn't seem to be a huge 33 lbs but he does cut a good amount so i can see him trying 41 but not sure he will be as successful as he would be at 33. One thing for sure is nick p is not a 133 lb. he is not even a big 25lb so his success would be limited at 33. i am not sure what will happen but we will have to wait and see. i would hate for nick to go because he is a good kid and he will be a top 4 125 next year and Moran is a all american contender. dayton at 33 is our best choice but he mentioned his aspirations of going 25 this year.

If i was nick i would stay just to see if dayton could make 125 after a 1 hour weigh in for the whole season. i have to see it to believe it.
He makes it all the time. I’ve heard both that Fix cuts a lot and that he’s not much heavier than 125. Who really knows except them?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: The nation’s #2 pound for pound wrestler, Greg Kerkvliet, has re-opened his commitment. <br><br>Find out why and what four schools he is looking at. ⬇️</p>&mdash; FloWrestling (@FloWrestling) <a href="">July 25, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

this sucks. i guess the temptation of rolling around with an Olympic champ kyle snider has opened him up. i saw a picture of snyder, and daniel the other day on instagram.

Combined with this news, ASU got both Cotton Schultz and Zane Coleman commitments yesterday.

Things get exciting. I think we will be OK with Kerk.

I know that :). Officially, he re-opened his recruitment. We are still in the hunt. I think he was told to be sure what he wanted, and is taking this time to do so. We are NOT out of the picture.

I hope you are right. Obviously good he still includes us. I have zero inside info but it is hard to see a kid decommiting from a place only to recommit.

I think there’s a really good chance he doesn’t come back to us. He’ll end up at Ohio state or Penn state.

He has Olympic goals....

Cael can say “look at David Taylor, frank molinari (and Zain most likely).

Tan Tom can say look at Kyle Snyder

Manning can say “look what I did with Jordan Burroughs and James green.”

Oklahoma state’s best recent champ (Alex dieringer) didn’t make the world team.

It’s going to be tough to hold him IMO.

word from flow is he was working out with cael a few days straight at the otc and i am sure that had a lot to do with his decision to open up. i am sure he is a psu lean. i know money has a lot to do with it and rtc centers but i believe if you have the drive you can become what ever you decide regardless of the training situation.

He has Olympic goals....

Cael can say “look at David Taylor, frank molinari (and Zain most likely).

Tan Tom can say look at Kyle Snyder

Manning can say “look what I did with Jordan Burroughs and James green.”

Oklahoma state’s best recent champ (Alex dieringer) didn’t make the world team.

It’s going to be tough to hold him IMO.

I know they wouldn't be training partners but OSU has a kid in the room who is on track to be as successful as anyone on that list.

Last edited:
We should change this forum to "34 and done". At this rate, we're not competing for national titles anytime soon. On the bright side, we still have golf that will win national titles.

Reactions: vhsalum and MitchL
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: The nation’s #2 pound for pound wrestler, Greg Kerkvliet, has re-opened his commitment. <br><br>Find out why and what four schools he is looking at. ⬇️</p>&mdash; FloWrestling (@FloWrestling) <a href=" ">July 25, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
What a horrible blow for us. It sounds like he is going to Penn. St. Our wrestling programs lack of vision especially coach Smith's has been costly for a lot of years and continues.

Reactions: MitchL
Braxton Amos is #6 on the high school flo pound for pound list. He is a Jr listed at 195 but was the 2017 Fargo Freestyle and and greco champion at 220 and the 2017 super 32 champion at 220 and has four Fargo titles. He was injured and could not wrestle his freshman year and came back after 10 months to win Cadet titles in 16 and 17. He indicated in interview he was up to 250 after he was injured. He is an excellent looking athlete and very strong. Has not committed with anyone.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Who should we hire?
There probably is no better wrestling coach when you just look at coaching. However someone really lacked vision, might not even have been Coach Smith but maybe administration ham strung him. Maybe he was very assertive with the athletic administration and they just refused. But there are several programs who have had better vision and better results than us. We obviously are not going to get Cael. But when you look at the last 11 years you have to think we messed up and we lacked vision and commitment to the wrestling program. The athletic Director admitted this but Coach Smith as the head coach has responsibility also. Maybe we are now trying to catch up but years late.

Reactions: Wrassler17
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fourth <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/okstate?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#okstate</a> wrestler leaving the program this summer. <a href="https://t.co/iP4v1IbIpo">https://t.co/iP4v1IbIpo</a></p>&mdash; Jason Elmquist (@jelmquistSW) <a href="">July 27, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There goes Tristan Moran!! wouldn't surprise me if we goes to UNC with coleman scott or Wisconsin

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fourth <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/okstate?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#okstate</a> wrestler leaving the program this summer. <a href="https://t.co/iP4v1IbIpo">https://t.co/iP4v1IbIpo</a></p>&mdash; Jason Elmquist (@jelmquistSW) <a href=" ">July 27, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There goes Tristan Moran!! wouldn't surprise me if we goes to UNC with coleman scott or Wisconsin
He should go where he is almost assured of starting and therefore should look closely at teams rosters. It seems to occur with some frequency where a wrestler transfers because he isn't starting to a school where again he gets beat out and doesn't start.

He should go where he is almost assured of starting and therefore should look closely at teams rosters. It seems to occur with some frequency where a wrestler transfers because he isn't starting to a school where again he gets beat out and doesn't start.
I wish him all of the best. He and his family have contributed greatly to our program and he will have a chance to wrestle as a starter.BTW he has told Flo that he has narrowed his list of schools to Wisconsin, West Virginia and Campbell.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT