ADVERTISEMENT

NCAAs 2022

It seems that he struggles with taller guys. At 141 weight wise he might have the build or strength but those guys usually will be longer. 125 would make more sense if he is going to move weights.
He’s made the finials each year at 133 he just need to be more aggressive in my opinion.

Reactions: JAY45
It seems that he struggles with taller guys. At 141 weight wise he might have the build or strength but those guys usually will be longer. 125 would make more sense if he is going to move weights.
He’s made the finials each year at 133 he just need to be more aggressive in my opinion.
Against UNI 133 who is tall and defensive Datan got 1 or 2 takedowns each match. I was thinking he needs to move more , fake more, have more heavy hands but he has to score more. I thought how are you going to get a takedown on RBY if you can't get more than 2 on UNI. In regards to what weight he is going to wrestle that is up to Daton and the coaches. 125 is really questionable because I have heard him say he feels so much better at 61 kg then 57. Plus Spencer Lee at 125 is not going to be easier to beat then RBY at 133. Heck he took 2nd in the World at 61 and he didn't get to the finals to making the US Olympic team at 57. I don't know how Mastro would do at 133, is he strong enough. I am sure Daton would do good at 141 but he is short and those guys are much bigger and stronger. Also Maybe Carter Young who is tall has outgrown 133. Lots of unknowns to be changing weight classes. Could be good could be bad. I think we should stick with what we got but what do I know. I hope I get to watch a lot of our guys especially young guys wrestle freestyle this year. We need to get better obviously and so does Daton.

Good thing Braxton Amos didn’t come to Stillwater, that would be just one more disappointment. Kids are losing all over the place and outside of PSU parity might be at its highest ever in college wrestling, less teams and more talent than ever before. In the last two years we have seen finalists from Rider, Princeton, Northwestern, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, ASU, ISU, Nebraska, Missouri, Stanford, and Ohio State along with Michigan, PSU, Iowa and OSU. Talent can develop anywhere. Some of those smaller schools are able to focus on one or two elite athletes. Schools with more success have more high level partners (RTC) to develop the entire team.

Have there ever been 7 returning champs (or 70% of the weights) to successfully repeat at the NCAAs? The 4 from PSU, Suriano, Yianni D (3x), and Steveson all repeat champs. Seems like a lot more than past years.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
I think Braxton Amos going 197 could have been part of it. He hadn't wrestled under 200 since 8th grade. The weight cut & the quickness of 197s probably presented some challenges. I'd be interested to see him try the Kyle Snyder plan - wrestle heavyweight around 225-230 and then cut to 97 KG for FS & greco.

I know it would add more to an officials plate but I hated seeing wrestlers basically running the last 10 seconds of a match when they were winning.that should be automatic stalling with 1 point.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
Yeah, I don't know how to fix stalling? It's bad for the sport and in many cases, the best guy doesn't win.

Harley, I agree about the unknowns regarding PSU's 2020-22 recruits. On paper they should be elite, but we'll have to see how they develop.

Here are the top 10 PFP guys on each roster based on the final Big Boards...

OSU
- Daton #1 in 2017
- Wittlake #6 in 2018
- AJ #10 in 2020 (but should have been #1)
- Plott #11 in 2020 (but should have been top 5)

It's probably no coincidence those 4 will be our returning AAs next year.

PSU
- Manville #5 in 2016 (seems like a bust)
- Berge #6 in 2017 (hasn't AAd yet)
- Nick Lee #9 in 2017
- Brooks #2 in 2018
- Kerkvliet #1 in 2019
- Starocci #9 in 2019
- Bartlett #4 in 2020
- Howard #7 in 2020
- Facundo #2 in 2021
- Van Ness #4 in 2021
- Haines currently #7 in 2022

Really took Nick Lee until 2020 to come around to being what he was expected to be and became. Also have to remember that Brooks and Starocci gray-shirted.

With Howard and Facundo... consider why Cael went out and got Berge to come back and Hildebrandt to un-retire as well.

I know a lot of folks are ready to punt on some of our young guys, but they're young guys. Sometimes it takes time to turn into a title contender.

Really took Nick Lee until 2020 to come around to being what he was expected to be and became. Also have to remember that Brooks and Starocci gray-shirted.

With Howard and Facundo... consider why Cael went out and got Berge to come back and Hildebrandt to un-retire as well.

I know a lot of folks are ready to punt on some of our young guys, but they're young guys. Sometimes it takes time to turn into a title contender.
Just an FYI, Starocci didn't grayshirt, regular redshirt only. And Howard was out this year due to surgery, so Cael chased Suriano & Hildebrandt.

I think our young guys are like PSU's - unproven. We just haven't seen enough yet. RBY was #12 on the final 2018 Big Board and he has turned into a star. Meanwhile Beard was #11, Joe Lee was #20, and Nevills was #22. Those 3 can't even crack the starting lineup.

Jared Rosholt- just one that came to mind that I’m sure a few on here thought wasn’t worth OSU’s time after early results.
RS
DNP
4th
3rd
2nd

John ain’t going anywhere until he wants to. 🤣🤣🤣

Where can we see all the results for individual weights? I'm having a little trouble with the 'ol Google.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT