ADVERTISEMENT

Minny Updates?

Inky29

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2001
I don't have the BTN so can someone give updates?

Sheets was totally out wrestled giving up 7 takedowns to 0 but in the last 15 seconds Wyatt got the takedown so that he did not get majored. Out wrestled but did not quit and battled and got that last takedown.

Wittlake wrestled good for the first half of the match and then shut down and got an easy decision. He just can't be really aggressive it appears. Plott won easily but he is not the same wrestler he was in high school where he would make good shot after good shot.
At 84 Geer won but wrestled very poorly. Won 3 to 1 in overtime. Ferrari won by major with a last second takedown. Minnesota stalled and should have been called. Surber against Steveson is next.

At 84 Geer won but wrestled very poorly. Won 3 to 1 in overtime. Ferrari won by major with a last second takedown. Minnesota stalled and should have been called. Surber against Steveson is next.
Gable is obviously so fast and so strong. He could shoot right thru Surber's defense, get ahold of his legs and take him down at will. At least Luke did not get pinned or teched. Mastro was the star of the dual for us.

Carter Young All American book it…..
I hope that you are right. He will get lots of opportunity to improve this year. He did not look like an All American tonight but he did clearly beat Hone ( which indicates his great potential). I still am concerned about his size and strength.

I hope that you are right. He will get lots of opportunity to improve this year. He did not look like an All American tonight but he did clearly beat Hone ( which indicates his great potential). I still am concerned about his size and strength.
He had great shots just wasn’t strong enough to finish. Should eventually be a great wrestler for us.

Just thought I would stop by for my yearly check up and ask "What the hell is Gfeller doing when shoots/falls to his hip while lunging for an ankle?" The technique seems like distant, genetically inferior cousin to the Tedeev ankle pick.

New yearly question: "What the hell is Ferrari looking at . . . like when he's wrestling, in the middle of a match?"

Seems like a statement win for Mastro.

No question. He is a kid who had a very good FR year last year all things considered. Solid defense and a bear on top. As he continues to progress offensively (very good signs so far), he has a chance to be a solid AA contender this year.

Mastro, super stoked for him. I was getting hyped on those level changes, so twitchy! Definitely had a little Daton swagger in there with the pace and variety of attacks. His opponent maybe had something going on because he looked gassed by period 2, but hey I'm not gonna take anything away from Mastro because he went hard the whole match. Carter Young looked a little squirrely, which is maybe to be expected for a first collegiate match - hopefully he bounces back with focus. I did see some creative funk in his wrestling, which could be a force once it's polished at this level. G, I dunno, got lucky with a big move and I don't know how he didn't get called for stalling more. Wyatt showed a ton of fire so you like to see that in a loss. Travis needs to find a way to stop being his chill Oregon self and go out there and hurt people. If he can combine his finesse and strength with some anger he'll truly be a force, maybe we need to troll him online (just kidding of course... but seriously)

My big question is - what did Gable say to Surber right before the match and right after? Did anyone else catch that? Maybe a plug to put on a show for the cameras?

I will also say - Big 10 Network did a great job with the broadcast. It felt professional, slick, knowledgeable, and practiced. The refs were mic'ed up, they made the competitors face the cameras, it was very dialed in and felt like it was being treated with the same showmanship that college football is. After years of Flowrestling and being thankful for DIY tournament streams, I was very impressed. This is a standard we should shoot for in Big 12 Wrestling, IMO.

Mastro, super stoked for him. I was getting hyped on those level changes, so twitchy! Definitely had a little Daton swagger in there with the pace and variety of attacks. His opponent maybe had something going on because he looked gassed by period 2, but hey I'm not gonna take anything away from Mastro because he went hard the whole match. Carter Young looked a little squirrely, which is maybe to be expected for a first collegiate match - hopefully he bounces back with focus. I did see some creative funk in his wrestling, which could be a force once it's polished at this level. G, I dunno, got lucky with a big move and I don't know how he didn't get called for stalling more. Wyatt showed a ton of fire so you like to see that in a loss. Travis needs to find a way to stop being his chill Oregon self and go out there and hurt people. If he can combine his finesse and strength with some anger he'll truly be a force, maybe we need to troll him online (just kidding of course... but seriously)

My big question is - what did Gable say to Surber right before the match and right after? Did anyone else catch that? Maybe a plug to put on a show for the cameras?

I will also say - Big 10 Network did a great job with the broadcast. It felt professional, slick, knowledgeable, and practiced. The refs were mic'ed up, they made the competitors face the cameras, it was very dialed in and felt like it was being treated with the same showmanship that college football is. After years of Flowrestling and being thankful for DIY tournament streams, I was very impressed. This is a standard we should shoot for in Big 12 Wrestling, IMO.
I read an article that indicated in the wrestle offs that in the 2 matches that Hone lost to Carter Young that Dusty was struggling with cramps and dehydration. It seems weird if this is true, we made a redshirt decision when Hone was not right. I saw where Griffith lost to freshman Ramirez of Cornell and I am really hoping to see Wittlake jump a level this year. He jumped a level at least between his freshman and redshirt freshman years but has not seemed to improve in over 2 years. With the article's I have read I believe the Cowboy Coaches are looking for this improvement also with Travis. Wittlake is very good but against Minnesota he totally shut down his offense during the last half of the match and against Stanford he will never have a better chance to take Griffith down then he had in the first period. We need a little more from Wittlake.

Reactions: Rdcldad
I read an article that indicated in the wrestle offs that in the 2 matches that Hone lost to Carter Young that Dusty was struggling with cramps and dehydration. It seems weird if this is true, we made a redshirt decision when Hone was not right. I saw where Griffith lost to freshman Ramirez of Cornell and I am really hoping to see Wittlake jump a level this year. He jumped a level at least between his freshman and redshirt freshman years but has not seemed to improve in over 2 years. With the article's I have read I believe the Cowboy Coaches are looking for this improvement also with Travis. Wittlake is very good but against Minnesota he totally shut down his offense during the last half of the match and against Stanford he will never have a better chance to take Griffith down then he had in the first period. We need a little more from Wittlake.

Young beat him in the first wrestle offs as well. At some point it’s wrestling and you have to reward and go with the guy winning in the room. It’s the essence of the sport. He looked wide eyed and nervous to me. Was in on several shots. Will just need to adjust and time things a little better. You have to finish stronger and cleaner at this level. He will be fine.

Witlake after a disappointing loss finished 4th which is improvement. Hard to jump levels when you are the 4th best guy in the nation. All would like to see him push for a NC but there is small margin for error at that level.

No question. He is a kid who had a very good FR year last year all things considered. Solid defense and a bear on top. As he continues to progress offensively (very good signs so far), he has a chance to be a solid AA contender this year.
Re AA : the field is too deep. In the conference, he's got (I think) LaMont, Teske, Cardinale, and Prata.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
That something is more than strength/coordination/technique/conditioning. He's got those. What is he missing?
Everything I have read or watched indicates the Coaches want him to be more aggressive and even more mean or violent on the mat.

Young beat him in the first wrestle offs as well. At some point it’s wrestling and you have to reward and go with the guy winning in the room. It’s the essence of the sport. He looked wide eyed and nervous to me. Was in on several shots. Will just need to adjust and time things a little better. You have to finish stronger and cleaner at this level. He will be fine.

Witlake after a disappointing loss finished 4th which is improvement. Hard to jump levels when you are the 4th best guy in the nation. All would like to see him push for a NC but there is small margin for error at that level.
We see things different. I am tired of being stuck on 34 and so being fine is disappointing to me. The truth is I am getting old and so Young redshirting or not wasn't my point but the decision based when something is wrong with the other wrestler was my question. The year Wittlake didn't get to wrestle in Nationals because of covid my memory says that he was seeded 4th at Nationals. I liked how he came back in the wrestle backs but I don't believe he was improved much if any from the year before. Also I thought he was the better wrestler against Missouri true freshman for 3rd but lost probably because of lack of aggression (he missed the winning takedown by 1 second). He will probably never beat the Missouri kid if he doesn't jump a level because that kid won junior Worlds this year.

We see things different. I am tired of being stuck on 34 and so being fine is disappointing to me. The truth is I am getting old and so Young redshirting or not wasn't my point but the decision based when something is wrong with the other wrestler was my question.
Harley, I was surprised they pulled Young's redshirt so early. Hone is good, so I figured they'd wait until after the Scuffle. But winning a wrestle-off against a dehydrated Hone probably wasn't the main reason. The room is loaded with good 141s and 149s right now. It's likely the coaches like how Young has looked in practice against them.

We see things different. I am tired of being stuck on 34 and so being fine is disappointing to me. The truth is I am getting old and so Young redshirting or not wasn't my point but the decision based when something is wrong with the other wrestler was my question. The year Wittlake didn't get to wrestle in Nationals because of covid my memory says that he was seeded 4th at Nationals. I liked how he came back in the wrestle backs but I don't believe he was improved much if any from the year before. Also I thought he was the better wrestler against Missouri true freshman for 3rd but lost probably because of lack of aggression (he missed the winning takedown by 1 second). He will probably never beat the Missouri kid if he doesn't jump a level because that kid won junior Worlds this year.
Witltake has every skill and ability but he acts like he is coasting. Desire is very difficult to coach.

Are we sure that Carter Young cannot redshirt? In football you can play in four games and still redshirt. I would imagine that wrestling has the same type of rules.

It’s also easy to hyper focus on our guys (which is normal) but the following guys have already been beaten this year….

A. O’Conner (returning NC)
S. Griffith (returning NC)
P. McKee (3rd last year)
S. Latona (6th last year)
T. Cassioppi (pinned)
C. Red (3x AA)
J. Wentzel (2nd last year)

Reactions: JAY45
I can promise you he isn’t coasting .His opponent was good didn’t want to give up bonus . Know matter what you guys think the other teams are good also . They don’t care if your old and grouchy or clueless about wrestling.
Thank you.

I can promise you he isn’t coasting .His opponent was good didn’t want to give up bonus . Know matter what you guys think the other teams are good also . They don’t care if your old and grouchy or clueless about wrestling.
I maybe older and I can be clueless but I would not call myself grouchy. I don’t understand the personal attacks. People take opinions to another level here and they forget we are all rooting for the same team. I don’t have time to keep up with everything OSU so I watch as much as I can and I get much of my information from those from this sight. To me, he doesn’t seem to get after it like some of the other wrestlers and it seems to me like he has tons of untapped potential. Is it wrong to want the most out of your team?

Yes, Dugan, now I see what a shining light you are. I have noticed wrestling genius in your posts also especially your last post.

Last edited:
Reactions: tom_v31
I think it gets under poster’s skin when there is constant degrading of athletes. You can call it cheering/wanting the most out of “your” team. Others may take it another way. Travis Wittlake finished 4th in his first NCAA tournament…. I appreciate your updates and insight Harley. Tom, complaining about someone making it personal when saying someone doesn’t look like they are trying hard is laughable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT