ADVERTISEMENT

Match conversation

Active Coaches who have won NCAA Division 1 Team Championships.
John Smith and Cael Sanderson 5 each
Jim Zalesky and Tom Brands 3 each
Tom Ryan 1
Unless i am missing someone (J Rob is retired)

Zalesky got his 3 right after Gable stepped down with Gables recruits, Tom Brands redshirted basically everyone his first year at Virginia Tech and brought everyone with him (He basically had Virginia Tech AND Iowa teams COMBINED) And Tom Ryan has 1 team title, but he has his highly ranked guys duck people to keep their ranking/seeding, which sucks for fans.

There is NO ONE who can replace Smith and keep the team at the same level, losing him risks Oklahoma State becoming like former powers Oklahoma and Iowa state meaning lots of years with mediocre teams.

Get the thought of putting heat (I guess you are implying finding someone else) out of your head.
You and i are in complete agreement. I would love to hear who should replace Smith.
True, it has been a decade since his last championship, but it isn't because his teams are not tough as hell. Others have been a bit better.

If Smith were to walk away, I think Guerrero would take over. I wouldn't mind seeing Pat come back. We haven't won a title since he departed the program. It was pretty amazing to have him and John coaching together. I like that Gundy is getting involved with promoting the program. if you thought he was good at QB, you should have seen him on the mat. Maybe Mike needs to help get them motivated. He's pretty darn good at that type of thing! I know he has a lot passion for the sport, and has more knowledge than most people realize.

Here is one difference I have noticed about the BWI board versus this board, or HR or Lehigh's or Cornell's - very few on BWI stoop to the go away card. That is not necessarily true on other boards. That's a shame.

Nah, you just let Guns and Spyker repeat nonsense until someone gives up having an intelligent discussion ;)

I still have seen no video evidence of Heil being pinned. A picture proves nothing, as it doesn't give you a time count. Video I have seen shows no fall-close, but no. Sometimes the angle is wrong, but other than right at the first, the ref was right there. No call, no fall.

Reactions: nitlion6
I think we should defer to the ref that was within four feet of the wrestlers watching the back. Funny how a picture (from a moment in time) from twenty feet away will be more accurate than the ref that is watching for something that requires a whole second.
Watching it on Flo it looked very close to a fall, but I was watching it on the internet. At a point I thought it might have been a fall the ref shook his head no.
Heil needs to be the aggressor in those situations as he never gets taken down or puts himself in peril when he shoots.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
Poor, Poor performance. Smith deserves some heat. 10 years since winning a title. Is he too comfortable? I'm not trying to start a controversy, but he needs to do better.

Since you are an expert on college wrestling who would you hire to replace Smith? Who is on your short list?

Nah, you just let Guns and Spyker repeat nonsense until someone gives up having an intelligent discussion ;)

I still have seen no video evidence of Heil being pinned. A picture proves nothing, as it doesn't give you a time count. Video I have seen shows no fall-close, but no. Sometimes the angle is wrong, but other than right at the first, the ref was right there. No call, no fall.
21 will argue with you till the cows come home, but he is never going to tell you to back to where you came from.

I agree about the snapshot. A snapshot never let's you know. I could not log on to watch the match, but my father's neighbor had it on and never lost the feed. Watching the match it appeared to me more than once he probably had the fall. The first two times the ref was not watching. It can be argued he was looking to see if the TD was secure, but that IMO is a bit weak. If one kid is working a fall I expect the official to take a look, especially considering the ultimate objective in our sport is to pin our opponent.

Lastly, I wanted to tip my Penn State hat to you. 100 youth tickets to the match was thoughtful and generous.

Reactions: osu2082 and oberebo
Couple observations....

There is no one....no one that can replace John Smith. We got whipped last Sunday. It happens. Ease down. Let's just hope the guy lives to 80 and can coach till then.

There is no one who had a better vantage point on Heil's position than the ref. It's fine to think he screwed up, but you have to defer to the refs in those situations. That's the nature of our very subjective sport. There's not a Cowboy fan on this board that likes to see Heil wrestle in those situations. We all wish he was winning like Dieringer, but that's just not Dean Heil, so we support him, good or bad.To infer that the ref was bought off or somehow corrupted, which is an idea that's been propagated on numerous forums by PSU fans, is ridiculous and reactionary....and a microcosm of why most of us prefer this board instead of the more dramatic and incendiary boards populated by very confident PSU fans.

Nitlion6...you seem like a reasonable dude. I personally would love to have you add your insight to our board from time to time. In fact, I would hope it pisses you off a little bit to see some of your fans act like they are God's gift to wrestling and leave the impression with the rest of the wrestling community that that is what PSU wrestling is about.

Couple observations....

Nitlion6...you seem like a reasonable dude. I personally would love to have you add your insight to our board from time to time. In fact, I would hope it pisses you off a little bit to see some of your fans act like they are God's gift to wrestling and leave the impression with the rest of the wrestling community that that is what PSU wrestling is about.
I agree with that about Nit- the majority of PSU fans from their board are knowledgable and decent guys-just the few that have little to no contact with reality tend to stick in your mind. Same with the guys from HR. Just the few buttheads ruin it for them, because that is who sticks in your mind when you think about the fan base.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT