ADVERTISEMENT

Marketing a Consulting Business

JJ4OSU

Redshirt
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2001
For a variety of reasons, after about 20 years of working for manufacturing companies around OKC, I have recently ventured out on my own with a consulting business. My specialty is Cost Accounting - product costing/pricing, profitability, manufacturing cost analysis, etc.

I've currently got a great gig that will last 2-3 more months full time and probably another 6 at 1/3 time or so. And likely have the next one lined up. The thing is, the current is because of a connection with an old boss who knows what I can do for him. The next is word or mouth from the CEO or the current place talking to another CEO. That is great, but I can't rely on this type of connection or referral alone.

Lets be honest...I flat out suck at marketing and selling!! And I need to sell myself and my services. And the biggest hurdle is that most business don't even realize they NEED my help. And ideally I could build the business enough to have local clientele keeping me busy and at home, but currently am traveling. In Iowa now, and the next stop will probably be the garden spot of Odessa.

So I'm looking for some small business marketing help. To start, specifically help setting up a great LinkedIn page for my business. And then perhaps some directed social media marketing or something along those lines.

Just putting out some feelers here to see if anyone does this type of work, knows a good resource, etc...

Appreciate any advice or referrals.

You are definitely being prudent with the marketing but don't diminish the value of lining up clients through your existing network.

I did some consulting/contracting in the computer engineering field about 15 years ago and have worked with several others since then who are doing it.

At least half of the work came through connections, both for myself and for others. It can be a bit nerve wracking not knowing what the next deal or contract might look like but it's interesting how the leads kept coming.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
You are definitely being prudent with the marketing but don't diminish the value of lining up clients through your existing network.

I did some consulting/contracting in the computer engineering field about 15 years ago and have worked with several others since then who are doing it.

At least half of the work came through connections, both for myself and for others. It can be a bit nerve wracking not knowing what the next deal or contract might look like but it's interesting how the leads kept coming.
This. The alternative is exhausting and expensive. You need easy wins. You should find everyone you've ever known to start rebuilding relationships. Just coffee and shit. Don't even bring up your business as the primary conversation.

RFPs can drown an agency and remove your focus from your paying clients. It's best to keep those to a focused minimum.

I'll be honest. I was tagged, but I don't have the resources to manage this sort of project. I recently was added to our executive team and swamped with that transition. I do appreciate the shoutout though.

Reactions: CowboyJD
This. The alternative is exhausting and expensive. You need easy wins. You should find everyone you've ever known to start rebuilding relationships. Just coffee and shit. Don't even bring up your business as the primary conversation.

RFPs can drown an agency and remove your focus from your paying clients. It's best to keep those to a focused minimum.

I'll be honest. I was tagged, but I don't have the resources to manage this sort of project. I recently was added to our executive team and swamped with that transition. I do appreciate the shoutout though.
Just thought you'd have good advise to him on how to proceed. Not that you'd necessarily be the one actually doing the promotional activity. If you were engaged, hey great. My finder's fee is 3%. But it was more of a directional consult.

For a variety of reasons, after about 20 years of working for manufacturing companies around OKC, I have recently ventured out on my own with a consulting business. My specialty is Cost Accounting - product costing/pricing, profitability, manufacturing cost analysis, etc.

I've currently got a great gig that will last 2-3 more months full time and probably another 6 at 1/3 time or so. And likely have the next one lined up. The thing is, the current is because of a connection with an old boss who knows what I can do for him. The next is word or mouth from the CEO or the current place talking to another CEO. That is great, but I can't rely on this type of connection or referral alone.

Lets be honest...I flat out suck at marketing and selling!! And I need to sell myself and my services. And the biggest hurdle is that most business don't even realize they NEED my help. And ideally I could build the business enough to have local clientele keeping me busy and at home, but currently am traveling. In Iowa now, and the next stop will probably be the garden spot of Odessa.

So I'm looking for some small business marketing help. To start, specifically help setting up a great LinkedIn page for my business. And then perhaps some directed social media marketing or something along those lines.

Just putting out some feelers here to see if anyone does this type of work, knows a good resource, etc...

I own a production company that specializes in visual content for small businesses. Video production for social media and tv commercials. Commercial photography from headshots to products to custom graphic driven ads for web, billboards, magazines.

Hard Rock Tulsa is our biggest client but we work with small businesses of all sizes. Hit me up!

www.shipmanphotos.com

Reactions: Ostatedchi

Odessa is the birthplace of a GREAT American.....me.

Other than that, I got nothing...it is mostly a $#ithole.

Reactions: HighStickHarry
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT