ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of calls for gun control to stop mass shootings and gun violence.

Headhunter

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Stillwater, OK
Someone in the know tell me exactly what that entails.

I'm all for stopping mass shootings and gun violence. But I'm just not paying close enough attention because I keep missing the details on how gun control works, there must be specifics, right, because I keep hearing how it is a common sense solution.

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
Can we agree that fully auto machine guns should REMAIN mostly illegal and difficult for any Joe Scmoe to get?

I have no problem if they want to outlaw assault rifles. BUT, they will be illegally imported by gun runners just like drugs in to the US and they will be sold on the black market. Police will have no idea who has guns. Plus, you already have a ton of them legally possessed in the US. Making them illegal will not stop someone who wants to commit mass murder in this fashion.

Many, many, years ago, before it had happened. I predicted that someone would take a large truck or vehicle, maybe an old brinks truck, fill the wheels with concrete and intentionally drive thru a large crowd and kill a bunch of people, more then a gun men ever could. My point then, was that if it ever happened, should we outlaw large powerful machinery? I brought this up in relation to gun control, I was told no one would ever do that with a truck or vehicle.

People kill. I personally see no reason why someone has to have an assault rifle, and for full disclosure I own a 22LR AR for plinking and shooting for fun, that is not exactly an assault rifle because of the round IMO. So, take them away, but this country will find out it solves nothing. And IMO It might be more likely for someone to come in my home and rob me to get the $5,000 an assault rifle might cost in the US black market, which will result in more crime. I feel like take them away to just prove that people kill, no matter the weapon.

Can we agree that fully auto machine guns should REMAIN mostly illegal and difficult for any Joe Scmoe to get?
Okay they are forever illegal. Now tell me how to stop someone from getting a black market one or stopping someone from converting a semi-auto in to a fully auto?

Do you really think illegal means difficult to get?

Okay they are forever illegal. Now tell me how to stop someone from getting a black market one or stopping someone from converting a semi-auto in to a fully auto?

How many mass shootings in the US have been with full auto weapons? Yes I would say it is far easier for your average disturbed individual to go get a handgun than a full auto rifle. I'm not saying its real difficult, but difficult enough that its been very rare that they have been used. I'm pretty sure if they were as easy to grab as a hand gun several of these guys would have used one.

Again, I ask, SHOULD they remain illegal? IMO its a form of gun control that has had a real effect. I'm not really a strict gun control guy, I'm REALLY not an outlaw all guns guy, but I think some forms of gun control have worked, some are just dumb, and some common sense ones can be tweaked or added.

Reactions: Been Jammin
I've got no issue keeping fully auto illegal I'm just at a loss as to what SPECIFIC gun control laws that are not already on the books will be successful.

With that logic, why make anything illegal?
So that people can be punished for harming others.

Still waiting to hear the new laws that will PREVENT these acts.

What new laws would have prevented this?

I respectfully decline to chase my tail answering that. NOTHING would ever be good enough. Lots of European countries have a fraction of our gun violence, look at their approaches if you want specifics.
Take out inner city gang violence and gun crime in this country would be much lower. They don't have to deal with that.

Have those European laws prevented the dramatic increase in terrorism over there?

Dang, it's being reported that the guy had at least 42 guns, 23 in the hotel room and 19 in his home. The only person I know who claims to own anywhere near that number is syskatine.

Hey @syskatine, did you have your 30 something guns melted into a peaceful and safe bench for your garden after hearing the news today? You know, in line with European approaches? Why would anyone own 30 something or 42 firearms?

I'm guessing a crank because in the audio it sounds like it has an inconsistent fire rate.
Dang, it's being reported that the guy had at least 42 guns, 23 in the hotel room and 19 in his home. The only person I know who claims to own anywhere near that number is syskatine.

Hey @syskatine, did you have your 30 something guns melted into a peaceful and safe bench for your garden after hearing the news today? You know, in line with European approaches? Why would anyone own 30 something or 42 firearms?

I'm sorry but there is no advantage to that many guns. The higher the number climbs the weirder it gets

Reactions: Medic007
I'm guessing a crank because in the audio it sounds like it has an inconsistent fire rate.
Slide Fire stocks can also produce similar irregularities. Quite a few reports have mentioned a "stock allowing automatic fire." Either way, the heat is going to be turned up on those devices even though they are legal. Outside of tearing up your rifle and a cheap way to burn through ammo for the sake of burning through ammo, those devices really have no use and should be banned immediately.

I agree on the owning a large amount of firearms. Outside of sneaking 23 guns into a hotel room to use in a shooting spree, what is the point of owning 30 something or more firearms?

LOL. I have one, a 1996 C4. Perfect condition, black, fun. Has chrome Z06 wheels on it. Perfect time of the year to take the targa top off.
No car should be manufactured that can exceed 75mph!!!!!!!!!

Car sounds pretty sweet, btw.

Reactions: OKSTATE1
Slide Fire stocks can also produce similar irregularities. Quite a few reports have mentioned a "stock allowing automatic fire." Either way, the heat is going to be turned up on those devices even though they are legal. Outside of tearing up your rifle and a cheap way to burn through ammo for the sake of burning through ammo, those devices really have no use and should be banned immediately.

I agree on the owning a large amount of firearms. Outside of sneaking 23 guns into a hotel room to use in a shooting spree, what is the point of owning 30 something or more firearms?

I agree that devices that effectively mimic full auto should be banned. It serves no legit purpose.

I see no tactical reason for more than 3 guns for this guy. 23 makes no sense.

So many questions

Someone in the know tell me exactly what that entails.

I'm all for stopping mass shootings and gun violence. But I'm just not paying close enough attention because I keep missing the details on how gun control works, there must be specifics, right, because I keep hearing how it is a common sense solution.
If this is a sincere request you might start with Australia...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ss-20-years-after-mass-shooting-idUSKCN0XP0HG
There is no doubt that if you forced everyone to give up all their guns you would probably reduce gun deaths. They reduced gun deaths by a whole .39% less per 100,000, less than a half of a percentage point. Not impressed.

Australia is a small country compared to the USA 23 mil to 350 mil no way the people in this country would comply with what was done in Australia. How in the hell do you physically confiscate the estimated 300+ million guns in the USA and how the hell do you pay for it? Australia had forced confiscation but they paid their citizens for their guns.

Again, I want to point out that places like Australia don't have the huge inner city gang violence that the USA is forced to deal with. You throw out the murders from the 10 worst cities and I'd bet our murder rate is very comparable to many countries.

Last edited:
I respectfully decline to chase my tail answering that. NOTHING would ever be good enough. Lots of European countries have a fraction of our gun violence, look at their approaches if you want specifics.
You won't answer because you can't. This guy already had illegal guns. There are laws to prevent what he did, but he still did it.

I agree that devices that effectively mimic full auto should be banned. It serves no legit purpose.

I see no tactical reason for more than 3 guns for this guy. 23 makes no sense.

So many questions
Are you saying you see no reason for more than 3 for the purpose of what he did in Vegas or in general?

I have no problem if they want to outlaw assault rifles. BUT, they will be illegally imported by gun runners just like drugs in to the US and they will be sold on the black market.

If the only way to buy an assault rifle was on the black market, would access to assault rifles be easier, or more difficult than it is now?

Would it be easier for the feds to set up a sting to catch guys like Paddock before they were able to kill over 50 and injure over 500?

I mean, it is illegal to purchase Uranium all over the world, and that seems to have prevented terrorists from using it as a WMD. In addition, it has led to capture of some who have tried to acquire it with bad intentions. (yes, I understand that there are hundreds of thousands of assault rifles in existence and a limited supply of Uranium, so it is not apples to apples).

Many, many, years ago, before it had happened. I predicted that someone would take a large truck or vehicle, maybe an old brinks truck, fill the wheels with concrete and intentionally drive thru a large crowd and kill a bunch of people, more then a gun men ever could. My point then, was that if it ever happened, should we outlaw large powerful machinery? I brought this up in relation to gun control, I was told no one would ever do that with a truck or vehicle.

Also not an apples for apples comparison. How is someone going to kill 59 and injure over 500 using a truck as a weapon?

Reactions: davidallen
As someone who flies a lot...wait until a drone brings down an airliner. There are more and more ways to kill huge numbers of people. Make no mistake either, one of these days someone is going to lose a nerve agent in a subway system as well. It is simply inconceivable that sane normal thinking people can anticipate what every nutcase is going to do.

There is no reason in the world to have a weapon, that modified, can mimic full auto or something closely resembling full auto. I have a number of weapons, AR included...of course no where close to Sys's haul. Still on the hunt for a few more, primarily WWII or earlier rifles and anticipate gathering up somewhere between 8 -10 more than I already have.

Reactions: Medic007
If the only way to buy an assault rifle was on the black market, would access to assault rifles be easier, or more difficult than it is now?

Would it be easier for the feds to set up a sting to catch guys like Paddock before they were able to kill over 50 and injure over 500?

I mean, it is illegal to purchase Uranium all over the world, and that seems to have prevented terrorists from using it as a WMD. In addition, it has led to capture of some who have tried to acquire it with bad intentions. (yes, I understand that there are hundreds of thousands of assault rifles in existence and a limited supply of Uranium, so it is not apples to apples).

Also not an apples for apples comparison. How is someone going to kill 59 and injure over 500 using a truck as a weapon?

Guns are not uranium. Drugs are readily available to teenagers, and so would guns if they were on the black market. Matter of fact many of the organizations running drugs would just run guns as well. They might be easier to get, no background check, no nothing. We do not have enough law enforcement to stop drugs, and we would not have enough to stop guns.

And yes, a truck could do far more damage then what Paddock did. So, should we outlaw those? Just asking.

Guns are not uranium. Drugs are readily available to teenagers, and so would guns if they were on the black market. Matter of fact many of the organizations running drugs would just run guns as well. They might be easier to get, no background check, no nothing. We do not have enough law enforcement to stop drugs, and we would not have enough to stop guns.

And yes, a truck could do far more damage then what Paddock did. So, should we outlaw those? Just asking.

Based on that, should we legalize all drugs, weapons, prostitution, etc...?

Reactions: davidallen
Based on that, should we legalize all drugs, weapons, prostitution, etc...?

Legalization of drugs in Amsterdam has lowered their drug problem. Legalizing prostitution would also solve some issues, take the pimps out, provide some testing to the prostitutes, perhaps lower crime over turf protection, etc...

China was able to root out a serious heroin problem in their country a long time ago by basically enforcing an instant death penalty. The true solution to eliminating the drug problem in our country, we do not want to pay for nor can stomach and probably morally unacceptable.

Being "tough" on drugs has not improved drug use or lowered the availability of the drugs. Bottom line is that if someone wants something, legal or not, someone will supply it to make money.

Bringing some of this out in to the open and regulating it would decrease some crime for sure.

Passing federal gun laws won't do a thing.

States have already shown that they will either not enforce them if they so desire (immigration) or they will pass their own contradicting laws (marijuana).

So, we should just give up, not try to find a solution, and deal with it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT